Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

I look like a complete bum in the gym...

Theres no reason to be using the puss pad if you are engaging your delts and making a good shelf for the bar the muscle and not letting it crush into you.

Snatched 95kg @ 82kg bw the other day.. Might do a comp once I get to 100kg.

My training is the same for the 4-5 days I make it in to the gym a day...

Snatch (daily max)
    Clean and Jerk (daily max)
    Front Squat (daily max then subtract 10kg and do 2x2)

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

haver her do sit ups on a swiss ball. even at decline you end up with your back flat, but your spine is actually curved so she doesnt get full range -> lower abs dont get hit as much as they should.

swiss balls are nice support.

I'd skip both swiss ball and decline situps. People tend to fuck up both movements and incorporate the wrong muscles. Focus on plank work and hanging leg raises.

Interesting....

I don't think she's going for a 6 pack (I hope not [​IMG]) but the ball might work better for her. Just trying to strengthen her core really.

3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I found a gym that'll work for squats as long as I don't start pushing 5 plates any time soon (and only 260k KRW for 8 months, absolutely amazing deal for Korea). Anyway, been doing this routine (it's really great and I highly recommend it) for probably 5 months last year, and a month this year before moving and taking two weeks off from the gym. I'm back now and on my second week. I don't want to get too used to the same routine, so any suggestions on changing things up for a couple months?

Obviously not ADDING anything, but don't mind seeing a similar program or substituting some exercises. I do absolutely no cardio. Originally didn't hit my arms twice a week but I recover pretty quickly. The routine I use is from another forum and I haven't kept up with the 4 year old thread that it is from.

MONDAY - Legs (Hell day)
    4 sets leg extension 10-15reps (basically just a warm-up)
    4 sets squat 6-10 reps
    3 sets leg press 10-12 reps
    4 sets leg curl 10-12 reps
    3 sets stiff legged deadlift, sometimes lunges

TUESDAY - Chest
    3-4 sets incline DB or barbell bench 8-12 reps
    3-4 sets flat DB or barbell bench 8-12 reps
    2 sets weighted dips
    4 sets DB fly or machine fly (pec deck) 12 reps, focus on killing my chest
    pushups until I collapse
    *triceps/biceps

WED OFF
    read a book or something

THURSDAY - back
    4 sets bodyweight pullups: up to 15 reps, mostly a warm-up
    4 sets bent over row barbell or DB row 8-12 reps
    3 sets front pulldown, wide or narrow, alternate 8-10 reps
    3 sets cable row 6-10 reps
    Behind the head pulldowns: 2 sets 15 reps to finish myself off

FRIDAY - shoulders/arms
    3 sets DB press or front military 8-10 reps
    3 sets side laterals 10-12 reps
    3 sets rear laterals 10-12 reps
    6 sets shrugs behind the back for 3 sets and to the front for 3
    *triceps/biceps

*Triceps
    3 sets 10-15 rope pushdown
    3 sets skullcrushers or DB extensions 6-10 reps
    3 sets reversed push down (palms facing) 8-10 reps

*Biceps
    3 sets barbell curl or e-z curl bar 8-12 reps
    3 sets preacher machine or db/barbell 8-12 reps
    2 sets hammer curl db or rope 10-15 reps
    wrist curls 13-20 reps 2 sets

That's a ton of arm/iso work in there that I'm not sure is really necessary. Usually I do 1 Big lift a day and 3-4 assistance exercises. It was off of BB.com's beginner routine thread:

which i then switched to

when i got bored with it. Give the lower volume a try and go for more weight on each set.
    Interesting....

I don't think she's going for a 6 pack (I hope not [​IMG]) but the ball might work better for her. Just trying to strengthen her core really.

latest issue of MH said that "core" balls don't actually work. It's better to work the core directly by using a lot of weight rather than having to use less weight to balance. It's MH so Ymmv.

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

... to finish myself off

Please, not on the machines, okay?

5. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

MH is so wonky sometimes, I guarantee if you go back a few issues you"ll see them recommending an ab routine that incorporates the swiss ball. All of those magazines are so"flavor-of-the-month" its ridiculous. Don't mind the female eye candy though...[​IMG]

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

That's a ton of arm/iso work in there that I'm not sure is really necessary. Usually I do 1 Big lift a day and 3-4 assistance exercises. It was off of BB.com's beginner routine thread: which i then switched to when i got bored with it. Give the lower volume a try and go for more weight on each set. latest issue of MH said that "core" balls don't actually work. It's better to work the core directly by using a lot of weight rather than having to use less weight to balance. It's MH so Ymmv.
    they dont' work in the sense of developing stabilizer muscles, but like i said your spine is s-shaped, not straight like the ground. you need to put something underneath the lower back for full range of motion. admittedly it is a little difficult to balance on the ball, so if you have trouble you can use a bosu, a stack of towels, or a roman chair i would say if you're going to do hanging leg raises you'd have the same problem unless you hyperextended your legs another fun thing to do is ab rollouts on the knee

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

I wish I didn't get my friends to come to the gym with me, they all act like such dicks and just walk about doing 1 set on some random exercise with shit form and random weight, get bored and trying something else and then spend and hour doing crunchs and biceps curls and leaving plates everywhere. One of them keeps going on about how massive his lats are now even though he can't even do a chin up.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Dr. said it was a fairly uncommon injury, actually. But nothing unfixable. Just use the maxi-pad and do some PT to balance out some muscles.

Have you tried just moving to low-bar squats or are you already doing that?

9. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I'd skip both swiss ball and decline situps. People tend to fuck up both movements and incorporate the wrong muscles. Focus on plank work and hanging leg raises.

Maybe it's me but hanging leg raises are impossible to perform correctly.

10. GraphicNovelty

MH is so wonky sometimes, I guarantee if you go back a few issues you"ll see them recommending an ab routine that incorporates the swiss ball. All of those magazines are so"flavor-of-the-month" its ridiculous. Don't mind the female eye candy though...[​IMG]

This was in their "studies say" section, which is >>> their "do this" section.

Also, I like the recopies.They're always healthy.

11. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Find IA's list of approved substitutions.

Also morning workouts are awesome due to an empty gym.

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Never mind the Anglo guido See spoilr
    [​IMG]
    I used to do these while holding a dumbbell between my feet, legs straight out obviously Hit the abs nicely but eh, just got bored with em + figured after a year or so of doing them w/no visible results fat loss would be the key They're pretty much impossible hanging from a chin up bar or w/e, not even worth doing that way IMO. ----------------- Still not fully recovered from this daylight savings shit sleep wise. Doesn't help that last night I woke up in the middle of the night twice to get some music ideas recorded + saved. Excited to take my girl to & workout at the new gym though, was never 100% about NYSC.

13. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

They're pretty much impossible hanging from a chin up bar or w/e, not even worth doing that way IMO.

That's what I did them on because Wendler told me I was a pussy to do otherwise (and the only equipment I have).

14. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Core strength and hamstring flexibility are both requirements. They are hard exercises... try to do them with your knees bent until you can extend your legs out. And work on your hamstring flexibility if needed.

15. GraphicNovelty

When I was trying to do the boring but big assistance work program I could do maybe 5?