Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I've done these a year, may have helped:

http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/

Watch a few vids on Youtube on how to overhead squat. You have to pinch your shoulders back, take a very wide grip, and understand that the bar must be held BEHIND your head, not over your head. I tried them a couple times throughout the last year and only this third recent attempt did it work out.

Oh, by the way, I can't do a full squat with my hands in the air, either. I need the bar to apply pressure between my arms and keep my arms behind my head.

2. Kas

Kas Senior member

I forgot what they're called, but they helped me. Use a broomstick or empty barbell and put it in a back squat position. Then practice squatting down into a full squat position while raising the bar overhead. You're basically squatting underneath the bar, and then rising out of hole with the bar overhead. These helped improve my balance enough to do overhead squats.

Alternatively, you can hold the bar racked (like on a squat rack) starting at a low height and increase the height as you get more flexible. Should take about 2-3 weeks.

3. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

Tried "treadmill pushes" last night, 30 second intervals. Holy shit, those are a muthafucker! 15 minutes afterwards I puked hardcore....guess my conditioning is worse than I thought!

4. cgardel

cgardel Senior member

an entertainment break...

[​IMG]

5. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Tried "treadmill pushes" last night, 30 second intervals. Holy shit, those are a muthafucker! 15 minutes afterwards I puked hardcore....guess my conditioning is worse than I thought!

I'm gonna try those.

6. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Overhead squats make my arm pits sore which is pleasant, really, since I hardly ever get sore. I did them with 35 lbs today, which has the weight moving up quicker than I expected. It is rough on my wrists, though. I might have to play with grip a bit.

I also bonked the bar down on my head because my arms were so far out and I didn't step backwards as the bar came down. I'll have to throw on 10 lb bumpers next time and drop the fucker.

I popped my left shoulder forward a half inch on front squats and my last set was easier than the first four. I love lifting revelations.

My girlfriend said, "I never want to be able to do that" in regards to overhead squats which really bummed me out. She is doing Insanity DVDs on her own and her knees are bothering her. I watched some of the DVDs in fast forward and it looks like 45 minutes of jumping. I could never jump for 45 minutes without busting the fuck outta my knees and ankles. Workout looks like shit.

8. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Seriously, how bad is white rice for you? :\\

9. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I can conclusively say that resveratrol makes me dizzy. I've taken it three times, days apart, dizzy each time within one hour.

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I can conclusively say that resveratrol makes me dizzy. I've taken it three times, days apart, dizzy each time within one hour.

It's known to raise blood pressure... which could be affecting your inner-ear.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

I have a question about after squat soreness. whenever I squat, for the next few hours after I feel very sore in my right hip (right in the socket). I've checked my form and had a trainer check it, and he doesn't see anything egregious - is this just a lack of flexibility?

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

I have a question about after squat soreness. whenever I squat, for the next few hours after I feel very sore in my right hip (right in the socket). I've checked my form and had a trainer check it, and he doesn't see anything egregious - is this just a lack of flexibility?

Without knowing specifically which part of the hip hurts, a common problem is letting the knees move forward near the bottom of the squat. This pulls on the tendons attached to the inner thigh muscles with a lot of force, and the tendonitis takes forever to go away.

--Andre

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

Without knowing specifically which part of the hip hurts, a common problem is letting the knees move forward near the bottom of the squat. This pulls on the tendons attached to the inner thigh muscles with a lot of force, and the tendonitis takes forever to go away.

--Andre

hm, it's sore/stiff in the most upper hip area - it feels right in the inside of the groin/thigh.

strangely, it only happens on the right side. I'm gonna focus really hard on clean form instead of ramping up weight

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

hm, it's sore/stiff in the most upper hip area - it feels right in the inside of the groin/thigh.

strangely, it only happens on the right side. I'm gonna focus really hard on clean form instead of ramping up weight

Yeah, I got a pretty bad case of it in both hips, but more so on one side early on (and heard crunching noises on that side, too). Other physical activities exacerbated it, too, and it took months to feel OK again.

The knees do travel forward, but they should be done by the time you're a third to halfway down: think of sitting down onto a chair. This is for a squat which just breaks parallel --- the hip crease drops below the top of the kneecap --- with the legs and feet shoulder-width, turned out 30 degrees.

--Andre

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

I actually squat pretty low - imagine in a normal power cage, if you have the adjustable bars at the lowest area (the two pieces that catch a dropped weighted bar) - I'm squatting to 3-4 inches above that. should i try some box squats?