Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

it's your life so you should do as you wish, but it seems pretty irrational http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/S.../ucm152388.htm
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/289/12/1537.full
    although correlative results and pretty useless http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/168/8/966.full
    good luck

2. APK

APK Senior member

- I watched an inordinate amount of TV this weekend. I usually put the TV on mute during the commercials, but for some reason, had the sound on often during the ads. "Whole grains, whole grains, whole grains." This fad isn't anything new, but I was amazed how many commercials tout the product based on the whole grain aspect.

- This whole cheat day thing: I can't overstate what it's done for my overall adherence to clean eating. Someone asked me if I really preferred eating all the junk in one day instead of having a little throughout the week. I do.

There's not an ounce of guilt during the cheat day. When I grazed the shit throughout the week, I had this perpetual feeling of guilt for straying away from clean eating. That was partly my OCD kicking in, but I was quietly aware that these scattered treats were a roadblock to my body comp goals.

I've got a friend who questions this approach. But it's working for me, because I genuinely eat clean the rest of the time. A couple tablespoons of salad dressing or something like that throughout the entire week is about as "dirty" as it gets for me. And just by observing how he eats, I'd wager that when you look at the week's food consumption, he's eating more shit than I am. I just do mine in a much smaller time frame, so it probably seems worse.

3. Kerrick

Kerrick Well-Known Member

I can't get to them from the computer I'm on right now, but if you like I'll dig out the articles I used to decide to use ephedrine and caffeine.

Note though, in that first link, if you click through to the 2004 statement that they seem to be specifically talking about ephedra (herbal preparation) rather than ephedrine (the pharmaceutical) If my memory serves, that turned out to be a whole different kettle of fish because the ephedrine content in the stuff was generally not standardized, meaning two doses could have dramatically different effects on you.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Did dead lifts today for the first time in months after I hurt my back. Tried them sumo and they were much more comfortable and I felt it in my abs more. Felt like a pussy only pulling body weight though.

5. the shah

I can't get to them from the computer I'm on right now, but if you like I'll dig out the articles I used to decide to use ephedrine and caffeine.

Note though, in that first link, if you click through to the 2004 statement that they seem to be specifically talking about ephedra (herbal preparation) rather than ephedrine (the pharmaceutical) If my memory serves, that turned out to be a whole different kettle of fish because the ephedrine content in the stuff was generally not standardized, meaning two doses could have dramatically different effects on you.

yes there's a difference in the alkaloids and whether they are synthesized. but dietary supplements are not regulated by fda and can contain whatever, and i thought this is what people buy ? a quick look in google shopping shows a large number of hits for ephedra (ephedrine alkaloid)

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

anyone like taking ECA stacks for lifting? gets me pretty pumped

Yes for my cut, but I do suggest to ditch the aspirin.

e. iirc ec is most useful as an aid while cutting, don't know if it especially helps that much with lifting per se. Fyi I'll probably finish my summer cut with a few cycles of clen.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i want to see if i can get down to a 'welterweight' level and get really chiseled like at a 148lbs or something. like a 'amateur body build competition ' level chiselness (not muscle bulkness). will start working on that this month. see if i can get it by summer

8. Kerrick

Kerrick Well-Known Member

yes there's a difference in the alkaloids and whether they are synthesized. but dietary supplements are not regulated by fda and can contain whatever, and i thought this is what people buy ? a quick look in google shopping shows a large number of hits for ephedra (ephedrine alkaloid)
    Could just be the particular communities where I did my research/reading but I've only known people (in the US and perhaps Canada) to buy Bronkaid or a generic counterpart for this purpose. That avoids several questionable aspects- the ephedra strength itself, and possibly also the supplement composition and the vendor. Bronkaid contains guaifenesin, which some people dislike, but I've been on it quite a long time for allergies as it was, so I'm comfortable continuing to have it in my system.

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

i want to see if i can get down to a 'welterweight' level and get really chiseled like at a 148lbs or something. like a 'amateur body build competition ' level chiselness (not muscle bulkness). will start working on that this month. see if i can get it by summer

I want to start doing that. I have enough muscle mass, but I'm not particularly lean. I have clear veins up my arms into my shoulders, but not much ab definition. I'll probably keep bulking at 5000 calories a day and then cut later.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

you must have changed a lot in body composition as last time i saw you in a picture of something you were selling, you were quite lean

11. the shah

Could just be the particular communities where I did my research/reading but I've only known people (in the US and perhaps Canada) to buy Bronkaid or a generic counterpart for this purpose. That avoids several questionable aspects- the ephedra strength itself, and possibly also the supplement composition and the vendor.

Bronkaid contains guaifenesin, which some people dislike, but I've been on it quite a long time for allergies as it was, so I'm comfortable continuing to have it in my system.

oh ok, well at least it's not chemically addictive. you can build tolerance to it but just pausing and restarting administration should offset that.

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

The "DeNiro In Taxi Driver" look is a good one. I like lifting heavy stuff too much to get back to that size

I do think if I get down to the BF I want to be at I will be a lot smaller though, like surprisingly smaller

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

He's tiny in that film, like no muscle mass or fat at all. I think it looks horrible.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

you must have changed a lot in body composition as last time i saw you in a picture of something you were selling, you were quite lean

Yeah, I've been putting on about a pound a week pretty solidy, so I'm getting bigger. Still like 170lb at 6'2" so I'm still pretty small.

Saw a guy at the gym today, couldn't have weighed much, maybe 60kg 5'6" or something clean and jerk 120kg. He didn't do any lifts other then olympic lifts.

15. APK

APK Senior member

The "Why We Get Fat" thread reminded me why I don't venture out of this thread in the H&B forum. [​IMG]