Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I just started boxing classes. After the first day, I was the most sore I've ever been and in bizarre places. The muscles covering my ribs were freaking out and I could feel my lats trying to support my posture with every step I took. The arch of my right foot was cramping constantly from support and pushing for punches. It's definitely a struggle with lifting. I did chest/shoulders yesterday and in class today, he had us doing a lot of push-ups on top of, uh, lots of punching. No idea if I can maintain the pace but I'm going to try.

Yesterday was my first day boxing, with my second lesson on Tuesday next week. So far I'm only very slightly sore around the abs and shoulders. Maybe the trainer's taking it easy on me as a beginner. Anyway I'll be resting up today for my deadlift day tomorrow.

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Yea def a waste of time IMO, my arms have def puffed up since I dumped the iso work...

*EDIT* Shouldn't have waited.

3. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

NOTHING is funnier than seeing dudes spend 30-40 minutes in the gym curling their asses off.

I'm trying to stick to SPBR as strictly as possible and it does include curls 2x a week, but it's only 3 sets and the emphasis is obviously on whatever compound movement you have that day.

4. APK

APK Senior member

Dumbbell preacher curls are pretty much the extent of my isolation exercises. I find those seem to hit my biceps in a way no other form of the curl does, even at significantly lower weights.

5. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I've finally jumped on the "fuck curls" band wagon. I haven't done a single one in two months and my arms have never been bigger or more defined.

I have somewhat smaller biceps, and while strong, i def benefit from doing some hammer curls and straight bar curls when I hit arms.

6. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I find explosive one arm rows with a slow decent make my arms swole... but I hate all variants of the bi curl, and I do a lot of pull ups so I just skip them.

7. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Prada, yeah man found a cheap place that isn't too sketch. Scott Fitness has 3 diff locations, Rivermarket, Crossroads, and close to Westport. Cool gyms, 40/mo has a lot of stuff. They have a no slamming weights or grunting policy though..... Don't know how I feel about that.

I know the one by Westport, it's on wesport road and stateline.

8. Prada_Ferragamo

NOTHING is funnier than seeing dudes spend 30-40 minutes in the gym curling their asses off.

I'm trying to stick to SPBR as strictly as possible and it does include curls 2x a week, but it's only 3 sets and the emphasis is obviously on whatever compound movement you have that day.

Scrawny freshmen at my gym. I can at least respect them if they actually had huge arms, but most of them just have sticks.

9. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

Thanks to assholes like you guys I now get super self-conscious when I do curls and this air of pretension when I squat or dead.
    Yesterday was my first day boxing, with my second lesson on Tuesday next week. So far I'm only very slightly sore around the abs and shoulders. Maybe the trainer's taking it easy on me as a beginner. Anyway I'll be resting up today for my deadlift day tomorrow.
    Could just be that I haven't played sports or put my training to any real use in a looooong time, combined with motions I'm very unfamiliar with. But my abs and shoulders are fine [​IMG] . Then again, it's pretty constant punching/twisting for about 35 minutes with other stuff thrown in at the beginning and end to make it a full hour. If you have an individual trainer it's likely he's teaching you the nuances and correct form. My form correction is on the fly and the amount depends on how many others there are.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

banged out BW benchpresses today for the first time (lol noob i kno). ive been adding 10lb to it every workout and still havent hit a plateau, whereas chin ups and push presses i have. maybe in a month or a month and a half ill hit 1.5 BW

oh and i almost held a 20 degree dragon flag for 2 seconds!

11. Prada_Ferragamo

Take you time. Strength gain will come eventually. It tooke me 4 years to go from incline press 135 to 235 on consistent basis.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[​IMG] ok

also. i've been meaning to ask. is there any reason i should switch from barbell to dumbell presses? i've been kind of wanting to try it to see what the deal is. same weight, higher, or lower? how much higher or lower?

13. sonick

sonick Senior member

Thanks to assholes like you guys I now get super self-conscious when I do curls and this air of pretension when I squat or dead..

[​IMG]

14. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

[​IMG] ok

also. i've been meaning to ask. is there any reason i should switch from barbell to dumbell presses? i've been kind of wanting to try it to see what the deal is. same weight, higher, or lower? how much higher or lower?

Lower. I don't see the attraction TBH

15. sonick

sonick Senior member

I find dumbbell presses much easier on the joints compared to barbell.