Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

Powerlifters use the low bar position because it allows for greater weight and less torque on the lower back. If squatting higher weight isn't your goal there really isn't a reason to do them. Personally, I've found that the front squat helps develop the quads better than the back squat.
    word, ive started doing front squats and i love love love them. i do them after deadlifts on a different day from my low bar squats though; i can't see how people do high bar. I feel like my neck is gonna break. front squats do hit the quads more directly; however i actually feel my back a hell of a lot more during front squats than low-bar back squats.

2. why

why Senior member

Do you not feel like a jackass when you have sweaty pads pressing down on your shoulders while you bob up and down two inches in an attempt to make a tiny muscle on the back of the leg usually covered by pants enlarge, all for the sole purpose of vanity?

It's especially silly considering how much more effective it would be to run a mile or two or just let it grow with the rest of the leg musculature.

3. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Ended up going to the hospital and being told if I wanted to get better, I'd have to take antibiotics. Oh well, 25 days sick with an infection is a new record for me.

4. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Ended up going to the hospital and being told if I wanted to get better, I'd have to take antibiotics. Oh well, 25 days sick with an infection is a new record for me.

Increasing hip, ankle, and spinal mobility has me doing (light) conventional deadlifts again. Yay! enjoying total back soreness!

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Do you not feel like a jackass when you have sweaty pads pressing down on your shoulders while you bob up and down two inches in an attempt to make a tiny muscle on the back of the leg usually covered by pants enlarge, all for the sole purpose of vanity?

It's especially silly considering how much more effective it would be to run a mile or two or just let it grow with the rest of the leg musculature.

Do you not feel like a jackass when you don't know what you're talking about?

I suppose you're going to tell me that strong calf muscles aren't necessary for a 1600 foot 5.12 technical climb too. You might lift for vanity's sake. I don't.

6. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Do you not feel like a jackass when you don't know what you're talking about?

I suppose you're going to tell me that strong calf muscles aren't necessary for a 1600 foot 5.12 technical climb too. You might lift for vanity's sake. I don't.

^ I doubt there is much crossover from machine calf raises to your problem.

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

^ I doubt there is much crossover from machine calf raises to your problem.

I pretty much decided it's not necessary to work them. They're strong enough already.

8. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

The only exercise I do for calves is with the leg press. The rest I get from biking and running and gym cardio work. If I don't, I will have small calves and I will look disproportionate. Yes, it is vanity and I will admit it

9. why

why Senior member

10. Nil

Nil Senior member

Squats, front squats, deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, lunges and Bulgarian squats and then running, biking and jumping rope = ripped calves.

11. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Squats, front squats, deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, lunges and Bulgarian squats and then running, biking and jumping rope = ripped calves.

Our just being me...

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Surprisingly decent workout session today even though I'm cutting hard. Did chest and legs, squats especially went very smoothly and managed to keep good form.

Think tomorrow calls for morning cardio, the spring makes it sooo much better to run in the mornings.

13. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

(Squats, front squats, deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, lunges and Bulgarian squats and then running, biking and jumping rope) + (genetics) = ripped calves.
    i lack the genetics...

14. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Anyone tried the Ultimate Diet 2.0? I've been reading a lot of Lyle's stuff lately and am definitely interested in trying out a CKD type-diet. The only thing that worries little vain me is the inevitable bloating following carb loads and such [​IMG].

I'm floating somewhere in the 10-11% bf range and thinking of doing a summer cut, to which end a cyclical ketogenic diet would seem like the best option.