• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I got a question for you guys.

If you are doing an exercise with 4 sets, is it normal for failure to come at earlier reps later in the exercise? Obviously, you are going to be getting more and more tired as you continue, but should I be dropping the weight if I can't complete the same amount of reps per set?

I'm not sure if I explained it clearly enough but here is an example of DB shoulder press today:

Set 1: 40lbsx12
Set 2: 40x10 (failure)
Set 3: 40x8
Set 4: 40x8

Why not increase the weight and drop the amount of reps. If you want to go for failure, I would do those on the last set.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think 12 reps is a little too high to aim for strength gains (if that is what you want). something in the 6 to 8 range with less sets (3 maybe even 2) is more profitable

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would power cleans be a good sub for barbell rows?

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
Would power cleans be a good sub for barbell rows?
power cleans are way more of an explosive movement than bb rows. I'd suggest something more on the lines of seated cable rows and hammer strength/machine rows

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown
power cleans are way more of an explosive movement than bb rows. I'd suggest something more on the lines of seated cable rows and hammer strength/machine rows
This is what I always thought- cleans are more about explosiveness and movement than actual strength or working the back. But I was reading some crap Mark Rippetoe said about bb rows being inferior to cleans.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i think 12 reps is a little too high to aim for strength gains (if that is what you want). something in the 6 to 8 range with less sets (3 maybe even 2) is more profitable

Profitable how? Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in strength gains, but more concerned about hypertrophy right now because of my caloric intake.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I got a question for you guys. If you are doing an exercise with 4 sets, is it normal for failure to come at earlier reps later in the exercise? Obviously, you are going to be getting more and more tired as you continue, but should I be dropping the weight if I can't complete the same amount of reps per set? I'm not sure if I explained it clearly enough but here is an example of DB shoulder press today: Set 1: 40lbsx12 Set 2: 40x10 (failure) Set 3: 40x8 Set 4: 40x8
Its an endurance issue. You've obviously got the strength to do 12 reps per set. Now you just need to build your muscular endurance. Diet and health (fatigue) could also have contributed to this.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well generally its thought that lower reps (4-6, but sometimes ppl say 8) increase strength (muscle cells gain more actin and myosin filaments, CNS fires more filaments at a time), while higher reps (10+) increase sarcoplasmic fluid volume. former is associated with a lot of strength gains and some hypertrophy, while the latter is the opposite.

i mean i guess it depends on your goals. if you want to look bulky higher reps prolly will work (maybe even 12-15 range 3, 4 sets). do high volume low weight to deplete glyogen reserves in muscle then feed them starchy carbs post workout (some ppl say "simple" carbs like dextrose, but real food gives feeling of satiety and will help your body regulate caloric intake).

if you want muscle mass to burn calories i think either way would work. more actin and more myosin means more atp consumption at a time. more sarcoplasmic volume should mean ability for longer energy consumption when working out (ie muscular endurance). i would guess that the former would help you burn calories when not working out while the latter would help you burn more calories by allowing you to workout longer

i just want to be functionally stronger so I can delve into gymnastics a little. also dont want to size up in clothing.

what might also help is warm up sets although i'm not sure how beneficial it would be for high rep high sets

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^Holy ****. What the hell is all that?

Some of you guys - Jesus Christ on a crutch he was only asking about rep failure. What's with all the ******* "strength gains" and "volume" all this other bullshit. This thread is a little too far into the forest to see the trees.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well i find bio interesting.

a tl;dr version without it would be

higher reps (10+ reps) = much muscle volume gain, some strength gain = muscular endurance
lower reps (4 to 6 reps) = much strength gain, some volume gain = greater muscular power

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
well i find bio interesting.

a tl;dr version without it would be

higher reps (10+ reps) = much muscle volume gain, some strength gain = muscular endurance
lower reps (4 to 6 reps) = much strength gain, some volume gain = greater muscular power

So do I. But that's not at all what he asked about. He asked why his rep range was declining as his set load progressed, and what to do about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads