Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

it's really about stability and balance, as far as i see it. i used to just do body-weight squats on a half ball and it was much more difficult than on the ground.

2. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

^^^this or a way for personal trainers to justify their worth. Personally, I think most stability/stabilizer work is bs- the average Joe gets what they need from free weights and compound movements. If anyone would benefit from these insane exercises it would be an elite athlete.

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

^^^this or a way for personal trainers to justify their worth. Personally, I think most stability/stabilizer work is bs- the average Joe gets what they need from free weights and compound movements. If anyone would benefit from these insane exercises it would be an elite athlete.

+1; I think people would justify squatting on a ball "for balance and stability, man" - wait, you need to work on balancing yourself? Sure, thats a nice side effect, but unless you're an athlete who could actually benefit from balance work then it serves no purpose.

4. the shah

yeah pretty much. i used the half ball for body weight squats during therapy after a knee injury and i do it from time to time again because i find it helps on the field (could be placebo but whatever) so i can see how it would benefit athletes competing at the highest level--anything for an advantage right ?

5. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Out of curiousity, I emailed Martin Berkhan about training/nutrition consulation just to see how much he charges and the details of how he trains individuals through email and phone corespondence. I'll post up what he says when he emails back, I am obsessed with reading the Lean Gains website...

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Equinox just comped me the first month free. Starting tommorrow. SWAG.

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Any reason GN?

I am really warming up to coffee for weight loss shit. I've been up since 4AM, pretty much, and am only now starting to feel hungry. Hopefully it will remain as effective when I'm in a true deficit

8. APK

APK Senior member

it's really about stability and balance, as far as i see it. i used to just do body-weight squats on a half ball and it was much more difficult than on the ground.

I don't doubt this, but no one I've ever seen doing this sort of thing at my gym has owned a body worthy of envy.

9. APK

APK Senior member

Any reason GN?

I am really warming up to coffee for weight loss shit. I've been up since 4AM, pretty much, and am only now starting to feel hungry. Hopefully it will remain as effective when I'm in a true deficit

Half a gallon of chilled green tea played a major role in getting me through my fast day on Saturday.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

ive been doing 45 minutes straight on stairmaster at level 11 and 12 alternate.
    this is very rigorous for most, and sort of hard for me as well. but dam im good.

cant run outside these days. freakin freezing.

11. the shah

i love running in the freezing weather [​IMG] though extremely short, 1-2 miles, was going regularly at night when it dipped down to 14 F

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Any reason GN?

cause i told them that i was waiting on my membership at my other gym to end to start theirs. they really want me to join bad haha

13. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

I don't doubt this, but no one I've ever seen doing this sort of thing at my gym has owned a body worthy of envy.

No one at my gym is in good shape. It's sad.

There was this d-hole on the squat rack next to me yesterday doing some dumbfuck workout he'd photocopied out of some magazine. Then gets a guy to spot him and says "every time I get near 400lbs I get nervous." Nice. Your quarter-squats knee bends are totally worthy. He was one of those young tall guys with a belly and a premature balding head.

14. APK

APK Senior member

So who wants to take a stab at what this slight pain in my right trap is? I've mentioned it a couple of times, but here's the basic info:

- The pain is not constant. Only after certain pressing movements do I feel it or if I do heavy barbell squats (the pain is located pretty much where the barbell goes during the back squat).

- When present, the pain isn't debilitating, but obviously it makes me hesitant to really continue with the exercises that prompt the pain to surface.

- I've read up on pinched nerves in the trap and I'm seeing a lot of people mentioning tingling or some pain elsewhere (i.e. the arm or hand). This isn't the case with me. The right side of my neck was a bit sore last week, but I'm not sure the two are related, since that pain has since subsided.

Any guesses? So far the pain isn't bad enough for me to want to pony up the cash to get it professionally looked at, since I'm thinking that time off from lifting would probably take care of it. Still curious as to what the injury is, though.

15. the shah

could it be related to where and how you sleep ?