Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. APK

APK Senior member

Hmm, somewhat in the ascent in that I push off with the back of my heels, subsequently engaging my legs. My arms are essentially along for the ride other than an iron-tight grip on the bar. You aren't supposed to be lifting the weight with your arms (i.e. shrug the bar). Squatting the bar back down to the ground is the reason my deadlift was so pitiful until last fall.

2. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Core strength is precisely why my old high school football coach never let us use belts, straps or even benches with back supports on moves like military presses. Hated it then because we couldn't push/pull as much weight, but I'm loving the lack of injuries, and steel grip I have now [​IMG]

3. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

I do that with half medicine ball and a smith machine. Doing that by yourself, IMO, is a disaster in the making.

4. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Mexican brunch cheat day. Pozole, tostadas with shredded beef, enchiladas with potatoes and chorizo....can't move. Going back for 3rds in a few. [​IMG]

5. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

Core strength is precisely why my old high school football coach never let us use belts, straps or even benches with back supports on moves like military presses. Hated it then because we couldn't push/pull as much weight, but I'm loving the lack of injuries, and steel grip I have now [​IMG]

Bro your gorilla grip is from throwing rocks nothing to do with your coach
    /36"

My grip is strong too from always winning idiotic schoolyard contests of longest hang from monkey bars, I can palm a basketball, always gave me an advantage in pickup games.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

Bro your gorilla grip is from throwing rocks nothing to do with your coach
    /36"

My grip is strong too from always winning idiotic schoolyard contests of longest hang from monkey bars, I can palm a basketball, always gave me an advantage in pickup games.

I have weak as shit grip and I've been able to palm a basket ball since I was 11. Don't think that has anything to do with grip strength.

7. the shah

I have weak as shit grip and I've been able to palm a basket ball since I was 11. Don't think that has anything to do with grip strength.

probably not...but my hands aren't particularly large. it's not just palming it, it's palming so tightly that i cannot be dispossessed [​IMG]

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

U need a strong core to squat regularly

you need to squat regularly to have a strong core [​IMG]

when you guys do deadlifts are you using any leg at all ? i saw a couple kids almost squatting down to pick up the bar, though i've always tried minimizing any legwork

most certainly.

the majority of the power to get the weight off the ground should come from your legs. especially for those using the sumo stance.

9. the shah

the majority of the power to get the weight off the ground should come from your legs. especially for those using the sumo stance.

i understand using legs in the sumo stance, but once you've gotten the bar and are doing reps do you continue to use legs ? that's what i meant when i described the other guys using almost squats to continue lifting and lowering

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

you need to squat regularly to have a strong core [​IMG]
    Lol I think this is what I meant

when you guys do deadlifts are you using any leg at all ? i saw a couple kids almost squatting down to pick up the bar, though i've always tried minimizing any legwork

I start with bent knees, and try my best to align my shoulders with my hips to start. But much of where your hips/shoulders are at the start are based on how long your arms and legs are. But you you def need to get the legs in, to get at the start

11. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

i understand using legs in the sumo stance, but once you've gotten the bar and are doing reps do you continue to use legs ? that's what i meant when i described the other guys using almost squats to continue lifting and lowering
    all reps should be done from a dead stop (it's called a DEADlift). none of this bouncing off the ground bullshit (I assume that's why you asked that first question). people's form goes to shit once they start doing that. and from the second question, I'm assuming that you mean their knees are still bent once the bar is traveling above the knees? they definitely should be. ideally, the knees and hips should lock out at the same time. if they don't then work on your form. oh and when lowering the weight, just go down fast with it. no need to waste a ton of energy lowering the bar slowly. if your gym doesn't like that, find a real gym.

12. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

2 days off in a row. Tomorrow will be a new day.

13. APK

APK Senior member

all reps should be done from a dead stop (it's called a DEADlift). none of this bouncing off the ground bullshit

I can't stand seeing this. If you aren't ripping that shit off the ground each time, you aren't doing a deadlift.

14. stylenooob

stylenooob Well-Known Member

Priceless. [​IMG]

anybody tried this ?
    [​IMG]

15. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

The things people do to avoid making progress.... I guarantee that dude's core is in no way appreciably stronger than someone squatting a couple more plates. What's the fcking point??????? -------------------------------------- I'm becoming such an old man. It's pretty pathetic. Had some pound cake right before bed and I've been tossing and turning due to heartburn [​IMG] Today's not a lifting day though so I don't really care, will just try to get to bed around 10 tonight.