1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

6 exercises targeting the same muscle group is excessive. 2-3 if you do 3-5 sets each is plenty.
    If I were you I would do multiple muscle groups per session instead (by fullbody or upper/lower for instance), since this will increase your frequency on a weekly basis.

The marginal returns on adding another set or lift after 10 or so sets to the same muscle is very low. But, in trained individuals the MPS is back at baseline levels after 24-48 hours again, meaning that you can train the same mucle group again for more gains. The science is very clear on that 2x a week frequency is superior to once, and some recent work has shown that up to 6x a week is superior to 3x (holding weekly volume and intensity constant across the test groups).

You will find that if you do multiple muscle groups per session, the sessions will take longer. I do a modified higher volume Sheiko (4x a week fullbody). The sessions last me 2-2.5 hours on average.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Thas why all the dudes who are there 6 days a week are jacked despite doing stupid stuff from a lift / programming perspective. Da frequency helps.

Right now I'm doing -
    Monday - Squats, legs, abs, rear delts and lil set of biceps
    Wednesday - Bench, shoulders, triceps
    Friday - Deadlift, hamstringies, abs
    Saturday (if I can make it, this my day to skip if I need to) - overhead press, shoulders, triceps, abs

Probably a better way to do this. I need to be hitting my shoulders and delts more often really. At this point I really only have about 40 minutes of lifting time for workout

3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Should probably just google this, but does anyone have experience doing a sprinting program? I'd really like to increase my acceleration and max running speed, and at 27 this is probably the last chance I can do that (well realistically I'm probably slower than I was 8 years ago but whatever).

4. conceptionist

How often you train is not what I was referring to. I'm talking about frequency in terms of lifts and muscles, not the frequency of your lifting sessions.
    For every big guy doing 5-7 days a week on a classic bodybuilding split, there is a lot of smaller beginners or underdeveloped seasoned lifters on the same kind of program. I don't think you can look at what successful people are doing to infer that it is a good way of doing things. Many people are successful in despite of what they are doing.

5. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Bold part is probably me. At least I feel for the effort put in, the results are stalling too much. But I've never done any sports until age 28. I can accept the fact that I'll never look amazing and that there's some stuff you can't overcome (wide hips, weird chest, short biceps muscles, whateva) but I'm still super happy about at least trying because even with minimal effort it's actually easy to be in better shape than 90% of people. Can't everybody be the 1%, still doesn't mean it's not worth it.

It probably also doesn't help that half of the internet is "training 1 year, bench 120kg and squat 300". At the same time nearly everyone at my gym is the "training 2 years, look the same like 2 years ago" type of people. It's hard to see what is truth, what is bragging and what is marketing. Everyone got something to sell.

When I push it harder to progress to heavier lifts I always get into joint issues. Just had to cut back for nearly two weeks after my wrist getting so irritated that I couldn't even unlock a door with my right hand. I'll probably go more in direction of more reps in the future (hate everything over 8 tho). I was doing really well on Push-Pull-Legs going 6 times a week and I think I could have pushed it further from a muscular progress perspective but sometimes it seems like the rest of my body just won't hold up.

I'm considering getting a check up from a doc since a while because I have also other issues like low motivation, a lot of tiredness, etc. Is there something I should ask them to look for especially? Test levels, iron, etc.? Do we have the machine from Captain America yet, asking for a friend, ya?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Different ways to skin the cat. I do an upper/lower split.... for upper days the short day is 26 sets over 40 minutes, long day is 30 sets over about 55. Lower days I don't do much, but it's plenty for me... 3-5 sets a piece of squats and some kind of deadlift variation. 5 days a week + cardio, no problems with recovery or fatigue. Been working really well.

But yea, if you're in a surplus everything should get hit at least 2x/week. I hit back, arms, shoulders and abs at least 3x/week.

7. conceptionist

Sure, you can get results on almost any program.

His "problem" was that he ran out of lifts to do. From that perspective (eg. you have lot of time for each session), I would argue it would be more effective in the long run to use this extra time to train multiple body parts per session, since this enables you to get a higher frequency per muscle and since the marginal benefit of training an already exhausted muscle is low (eg. what is the case on a split).

8. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

Quote:Reading your post I must agree with you in many of the things you say. If you look at instagram or any other internet app/social network you will end up terribly disappointed. Most of the people there are professionals (they live off it) and they take measures to assure a certaing physique that the rest of the world wouldn't do (if only because mostly have 9 to 5 jobs and families and such and it is quite impossible to hit the gym 4 hours a day to do the weirdest of exercises). But if you put a little effort and work out steadily, you end up looking better than average, even if you have a crappy diet. This would apply to regular people. People with the mentality of a competitive bodybuilder will think that is bullcrap, etc, etc... but to each their own. Many people say each body is different (when asked about routines and diet to achieve a certain physique) but also, each mind is different, not everyone who trains aspire to have Ronny Coleman's body (nor do they even want to).

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

If you look the same as when you started training five years ago, that's not necessarily terrible, especially when you're older. You've still dodged the typical weight gain and muscular decline afflicting your peers.

10. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

check thyroid hormone levels! I went to the doctor a couple years ago due to tiredness, depression. Thought it was low test after a couple of varicocele surgeries, but turned out to be tyrosine hypo production: Eating sythetic tyrosine since, and actually feel better. Most noticeable, my mood is never as low as it used to be, regardless of what shit happens. Wonder how long I had it before it was discovered...

11. bert9000

bert9000 Senior member

Definitely get your testosterone levels checked. You may also want to research TRT and its side effects if it does turn out your levels are too low.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If you're having joint issues, you should try wrist wraps, elbow sleeves, etc.

How bad are winters where you are @Szeph el raton ? Asking because low vit D levels from low sunlight exposure can wreck havoc on lots of things, esp in colder climates. That's a cheap/easy supplement to take that won't harm you unless you go nuts with it. Thanks for the timely reminder that I need to do the same.

In other news, my workout schedule has been shit lately. Feel like shit too. Been going only 2x a week or so and really need to move that up to 4. Feeling the pressure this year in a big way. Hoping to just maintain lifts and any semblance of a physique. On the bright side I haven't been eating much because of stress/school so I haven't gained stupid amounts of weight.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

submission deadlines means no training, no eating, just coffee and proofs

Losing weight steadily.

14. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

It's South-West Germany/North Switzerland so it's okish, we typically hover between 0-10°C. I'm supplementing a lot of vitamins, Omega3 (hate fatty fish) and ZMA since a few month consistently. Clearly helped my general well being and avoiding getting a cold and stuff.
    Wrist got better with a week pause and a week low weight training with complete elemination of all rotational movement.

Will get test, thyroid and iron checked and whatever else they suggest.

15. conceptionist

Well, my training is going pretty good. Training about as much as I did pre-injuries. Strength is pretty much fully back in bench and deadlift. Squats are lagging somewhat due to a weight cut, but since I have switched to low bar position my numbers have gone up quite quickly. Next month I will move close to a WL and PL club where I can train. No intentions to compete, just get strong at around 200 pounds bodyweight. Think I can surpass my previous best lifts early spring.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    5 people like this.
  16. Cool The Kid

Nice @conceptionist.... what injuries were you battling before? Did you dial back on volume?

17. conceptionist

I had some form of patella tendonitis. Inflammation in the attachment of the quads to the knees. Typical overuse injury, so no trauma, just a wear and tear injury probably caused by too fast increase in volume and frequency coupled with a flat foot which put the knee out of alignment to the tibia (internal rotation of the shin bone). So basically too much loading on the joint over a long time in a bad position.

What helped me was first a reduction in frequency and volume, training with weights and volume that did not cause pain. Then I saw a sports physio that helped me fix the flat foot by activating the muscles in the foot that are responsible for maintaining the arch. I also got graston treatments on the quad to work out the scar tissue and restore functional gliding of the fascia and muscles (not sure if I am using the correct terms). No more pain in the knees since.

I have had two bulging discs in the very low back (S5 L1). These can still flare up, but I know how to handle it. What often aggrevates it is very heavy deads or deads for high volume and bench press with a fully arched back (I can arch quite high). As long as I don't do anything stupid and keep maintaining it with the prehab exercises it is fine and I can train hard.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  18. Cool The Kid

That's what's up. It's always interesting to see what imbalances and issues training can expose, and it's satisfying AF to figure out how to resolve or at least work around them. Glad to see you back at it

1 person likes this.
  19. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Lots of jiu jitsu here. Not getting to the gym like i should and i weighed under 200lbs for the first time in years :/.

20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Losing a ton of weight as well. Intermittent fasting and a quest bar to break my fast has tanked my appetite. Down below 160 (from 177), which I didn't think was ever going to happen.