1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Good luck man, you took a ton of time to recover without losing interest in the sport. I think you'll do great as long as you listen to your body.

4 people like this.
  2. accordion

accordion Senior member

So at this point last year, I was about 10lbs lighter, not a big difference but noticeable in mirror. I'm also not as strong. Since I've mostly just maintained for the past half a year or so and haven't improved in any lifts except for random stuff like upper back dumbbells, etc, I'm thinking about just dream bulking up to 210 ish then cutting back down. For reference, I'm 6"/195ish right now. Don't really care about clothes since winter's coming. I'd estimate my bf to be around 18-20. Advice?

3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

dream bulking is never a good idea, and especially not if you're 20% bf.

4. accordion

accordion Senior member

Not actually dreambulking, just eating over maintenance, would try to do it as cleanly as possible with fatty cuts of meats, etc. BF probably closer to 18. Just not sure which direction I should be going weight wise.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  5. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

At 18-20% bodyfat? No question, I'd cut. 25% bodyfat "yo I'm bulking" chubbies look horrific.

6. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I don't entertain any thoughts of "bulking" if I'm over 12%

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  7. accordion

accordion Senior member

so i pretty much wont progress until i eat at maintenance again?

8. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Don't want to sound like I am ranting, but I don't really understand this thought that you can only progress on caloric surplus.
    How do you think weightlifters, powerlifters or any other strength athlete that stays within the same weight class progress?
    Train more and smarter and take care of recovery and nutrition and you can progress on maintenance.

1 person likes this.
  9. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

You can… to a certain extent. Most strength athletes cut for competitions and most are also not natural.

10. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I am not saying that maintaining your weight is as good for strength as gaining weight. Obviously you will get even stronger if you gain weight.
    I am just sceptical of the fact that people below the advanced level need to gain weight in order to get stronger. Perhaps gaining weight is still ideal in most cases, as the beginner/intermediate can pack on more quality size in a given time frame than an advanced lifter, but if weight gain is not an option (for whatever reason) I still believe you can make decent progress in terms of muscle and strength gains at the same bodyweight.

Enhanced competitive strength athletes are not representative of the population at large. For every elite enhanced lifter there are tons of lifters that are natural, although not necessarily on the same relative level. They can also get stronger without gaining much weight.

11. accordion

accordion Senior member

I meant if I could progress on a diet under maintenance, I was assuming that you could at maintenance.

12. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I agree with you to an extent. You can make gains, albeit slower than if you were to eat over maintenance. I think a lot of 1rm max sports are heavily reliant on the efficiency of your cns as well as tendon and ligament strength. For me personally, the lift that changes drastically when weight gain or loss is present is deadlift which is understandable because the more weight you have pulling back while lifting the bar creates better leverage for you.

13. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

You can make way better gains on a bulk, it's true. But you're gonna have to cut at some point. If you're above 15% it's better to cut now.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Anyone have experience with boosting nitric oxide (either supplements or food) to shorten soreness or recovery time? I started reading about NO out of concern for my grandparents' high blood pressure, but found it is also supposedly dazzling in other areas, including flushing out lactic acid.

I've basically reverted to beginner status, and figured this would be helpful after trying to follow the advice here and up my workout frequency -- which can feel very counter-intuitive. I started taking Citruline caps, but didn't notice any difference. (I've read that this and plain old food [beets, spinach, celery, etc] are the best options as opposed to pricier NO supplements with lightning and screaming men and so-forth on the bottle]).

Curious because I found these do work in terms of blood flow/dilation and lowering blood pressure.

15. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Squatty potty is a game changer

16. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I use citrulline and arginine nitrate pre workout. Pumps, endurance, pumps, and more pumps.

17. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Oh, wow. What brand? I tried Source Naturals citrulline caps, didn't feel any difference. Dosage is 2 grams three times a day, though I've read for exercise, 6 grams pre-exercise might be better.

18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Would you use citrulline every day or just pre-workout?

I've only been hitting the gym 3ish times a week these days. Trying to set up a shake interval etc, so I get some creatine everyday because you need that. Not sure if citrulline is best taken everyday or just pre workout!

19. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Eat healthy foods and work out often.

Nah that's probably being obtuse. Just try to avoid the rabbit hole - particularly when you're feeling noob status.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  20. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I've only ever used l-citrulline pre-workout. Its effects are acute, along with nitrates and agmatine,

6g citrulline, 2g arginine-nitrate, 2g agmatine sulfate = pumps for days.

If you're looking for an all-in-one, I enjoy PES High Volume.