1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

On the opposite end of the spectrum I did 2 hours of bjj and then worked out legs, consequently I am fucking starving.

1 person likes this.
  2. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Usually not into VeganGains videos and his overly confrontational style but this video had some informative content about what 10% body fat looks like, and what being sub 10% does to your body.

[​IMG]

This could mean that most people who lift can add about 2-3% to whatever percentage they think they are at.

That said, there's likely some margin of error on this type of scan and as noted in the video, fat distribution over the body can skew the appearance and estimation.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  3. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

VeganGains is my favorite. Reciting abstracts and pretending to interpret research correctly.

4. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

He's matured quite a bit recently. Usually worth a watch these days.
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

fucked up.

5. akclothpooper

akclothpooper Senior member

Talking about bodyfat if any of you have reached very low teens what got you to drop that last bit of fat, more cardio eating differently (rather than just less cals) and coulsyou maintain it relatively comfortably?. I've managed for the last few months to get some delt vascularity and most of my abdominals being lean. But I've never had my lower abs and quads be very vacular, I'm thinking about losing that last little bit while winter's still here just to try it out more than anything but I'm already eating 1500-1000 atm.

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Sounds counterintuitive but a week or two at maintenance (or more) could help you get that last bit of fat off. If you are down to 1500 and normal size your metabolism is fast asleep. What do you eat when you maintain? Anyways I've found that jumping back up to maintenance or more for like a week every 6-8 weeks in a diet makes shit a lot easier. Metabolism wakes up, I feel sane, and I can be more aggressive in the cut

I don't think you are gonna be able to maintain lower ab veins though. But a reset and a couple more weeks of cutting would at least let you see them.

7. asifengdahl

asifengdahl Member

Dont how far I did run, I did for almost 45 minutes.
    Was just around the neighbor hood though.

8. conceptionist

+1 on CTK.

@akclothpooper
    Why do you cut on so low calories? I see it quite often online and it does not make much sense to me.
    Most normally built guys have a maintenance above 2500 cals, unless very short and/or small. Guys who lift and train regularly should easily be able to burn more calories than that a day. That means you should be able to make your whole cut with over 2000 calories. I'm 6'3, 190 lbs, train 4-5x a week which gives me a maintenance of ~3200, so I cut on 2800-2900 a day and maintain low teens bf by eating somewhere in that range. If you are eating under 2000 cals/day as a guy and are not losing weight, I'd either look into how active you really are or if you have slowed down your metabolism considerably. Start eating more carbs so you get energy for more activity and then increase training volume and general activity. Center carbs around training if you can. This should speed up your metabolism. After settling on a new weight and caloric maintenance you can resume the cut again if you want to.

As for losing the low abdomen fat, in my experience it has just been a question of waiting it out for a few more weeks. Do not lower calories too much, and in your case I'd actually start by increasing them as suggested above.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  9. Cool The Kid

Some folks have to go that low. I was probably down to 1700-1800 net on average in the last ~8 week leg of my cut. First 6 of those weeks I definitely got my money's worth, but then I hit a wall and said fuck it. Bottom line going aggressive can work.... just have to pace yourself in a bigger context and have a good understanding of macro balance and timing when you're that low. I had to buck a lot of convention to fit my individual biases and needs.

Only tough part is once you get a taste for those luxurious macros it's hard to turn off the spigot abruptly again. Once I was in the cut I was OK but the transition was brutal. Would also suck to be all flat and depleted again... didn't even realize until I carbed back up

10. conceptionist

Have you tried cutting on higher calories? Because doing 1800 a day and losing weight in a moderate pace with a small deficit (which is preferable for optimal muscle retention) means that your caloric expenditure would only be 2000-2300, which I find unrealistically low for a grown man. I'm counting backwards since I do not find much reason in doing more than 200-500 deficit per day. Sure, you can do 1800 with a say 2800 balance to create a 1000 deficit, but at that point I would be concerned with the ratio of muscle/fat loss, low energy levels, and thus suffering training and mood.

11. Cool The Kid

It worked for me. I was dropping over 2lb a week at one point and still making gains. For me, it doesn't make much sense to take it easy if you feel OK getting more aggressive. The less time you spend cutting the more time you spend gaining, or at least fed and sane. I think it takes experience and close monitoring though... I tracked absolutely everything, watched trends etc. so 1lb a week is probably good for someone cutting for the first time. But I think experienced people can do more.

12. conceptionist

Ok, great job making gains on that caloric level. I know some people who have done PSFM type diets of like -1500 to -2000 cals a day with success, so it does work, but as you say it is something for the experienced.

13. Cool The Kid

Now PSMF is where I draw the line. I think I would revert to a subhuman state. I can't think of any kind of situation that would prompt a 2,000kcal deficit. Everyone has their own goals and thresholds though.

1 person likes this.
  14. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

The amount of food I'm eating since becoming lacto-vegetarian is absurd. I need to start eating more fat or something cuz 3700 calories of plants is hard.

15. akclothpooper

I'm 5ft 6, and 70kgs atm. That might explain the low cals but I could probably still afford to eat more I'll definitely try raise them back up slowly; last time maintenance was 2500k give or take a couple hundred. I eat carbs around my workouts so I haven't felt very weak and have seen improvements in my main lifts, doing hiit on back day and leg day as well as fasted steady state for an hour every morning.

16. conceptionist

Sounds good. I think you should be able to do almost a whole cut in the 2300-2000 range, depending on your starting bodyfat level. Last weeks you might have to drop to 1800-1900 but lower than that seems unnecessary imo. Personally, I would then rather add light activity such as long walks.

1 person likes this.
  17. akclothpooper

Thanks @Cool The Kid and @conceptionist for the advice.

1 person likes this.
  18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Anyone here use the Tyler Twist method for treating tennis elbow? I bought one of the therabands (green) and while I don't have any issues or pain during the actual exercise, I do feel some tightness and moderate soreness in the tendon when I bend my elbow immediately after.

Then about a minute or so after the exercise, the pain is gone. Is this normal? FWIW, the pain is very mild. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 barely registers and 10 is excruciating pain, it's probably a 2.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  19. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Coldsnap recommended this here when I had a very, very bad case of medial epicondylitis. To my great shame I must confess that I did buy this rubber dildo and did the twist exercises and had my hands smell of used condoms, but the claimed effects of this treatment I did not see anywhere.

The strongest treatment effect was my utter humiliation, which might have been the goal in the first place as well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    3 people like this.
  20. conceptionist

Training is actually going quite well for me again.
    I still feel like an old man with my knees and low back (although they do not hurt like they used too), but strength is almost back in the bench and deadlift to previous levels around my last comp in Nov and I'm now 10-15 lbs lighter in better shape. Hardly look like I lift though, but that is sort of what I am going for now.