1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Member

Based upon the completely dumb and ignorant things RTC has posted in this thread and others, I'd recommend disregarding him altogether from here out. He's the first user I'm adding to my ignore list.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Oh wait, I remember you!

Back with another sock account are we? I forget what the last one you had was called, but you have a penchant for picking fights, eh?

3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

You're both being dickheads here.

But let's not pretend this is thread is about health. This is where we come to reinforce weird body dysmorphia issues and once in a while post some thoughtful discussion about the most effective ways to build muscle.

1 person likes this.
  4. 1up

1up Senior member

Speaking of which. I think I'm done cutting for summer, could be leaner but I don't think I have enough muscle to look good.

I'm 5'10, 162-165 and most clothes fit great, face looks healthy and somewhat lean, and my cardio is good.

Any approximations on a bf? 15%?

Sorry for the ridiculous pose, not sure how to do this.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Member

The fuck? Uh, no. Just because you've had arguments with literally scores of posters on this site doesn't mean that I'm one of them reincarnated.

6. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Potato photo and legs not included but I'd say ~13%

7. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

13% seems like a good estimate. Abs and lean but no vascularity.

@lunar
    With an approximate TDEE of 1800 and bodyweight of 108 lbs, you could benefit from some weight training to gain mass. I won't comment your BMI or health status as that is not my expertise. I do however think that you could see fast results in your physique and metabolism if you are somewhat new to weight lifting. Being shorter is actually a benefit here.

My advice would be to do some well known approved strength program, for instance a full body or upper lower split 3-4x a week and eat healthy food to gain weight at a slow pace (around 0.5 lbs per week).

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I wish I could do full body workouts. I can bang out upper body stuff any time, but I have found that if I give anything less than 100% to lower body compounds I either get burnt out or injured

9. 1up

1up Senior member

Yeah, really not sure how to include a bigger pic when posting from mobile.

10. 1up

1up Senior member

I have very prominent bicep/shoulder/pec veins on both sides - is this typically a good indicator of bf%?

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Perhaps, but your post history on this account is prettyyyy familiar.

That said, the BMI shiz is stupid on all accounts. Lets move on, shall we?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  12. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Almost done with week seven and I've lost around 10-12 pounds. Strength has largely held up even though I'm not going to the gym nearly as much as I should. All good signs. At 162 right now, probably about 12% body fat. 157.8 is my initial goal to get to 10% but ultimately want to get around 155 if at all possible. Only have 3-4 weeks left, though so we'll see how far I can get.

1 person likes this.
  13. Cool The Kid

Did you factor water weight into that target..... when I got off my cut all my muscles inflated like water balloons. That was a good 3-4lbs right there

Glad your cut is going well though... being leaner is quite enjoyable.

14. conceptionist

Well, people store fat in different places and vascularity will naturally be higher where you store less fat. So some people might have vascular arms at quite high bodyfat, while others won't. For me personally, definition in the quads and vascular abs are signs that I approach around 10% bodyfat. I think most guys tend to have the hardest losing fat in the lower ab region, so that could be a giveaway. Generally, you will get a more dense and somewhat flatter appearance as you approach 10%. You will look smaller in clothes but bigger without. Performance will also start to decline and you might experience hormonal changes.

15. conceptionist

Some fresh research. Important stuff in bold.

Interesting and practically useful study on the implications of rep speed:

Resistance training with slow speed of movement is better for hypertrophy and muscle strength gains than fast speed of movement. International Journal of Applied Exercise Physiology 5.2 (2016): 37-43.

Quote: Quote:

And another study on cardio, specifically HIIT vs traditional slow pace cardio.

PLoS One. 2016 Apr 26;11(4):e0154075. Twelve Weeks of Sprint Interval Training Improves Indices of Cardiometabolic Health Similar to Traditional Endurance Training despite a Five-Fold Lower Exercise Volume and Time Commitment.

Quote:

1 person likes this.
  16. Cool The Kid

Whew, that cardio info is a good look. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Personally I'm still not convinced that HIIT and a caloric deficit mix, but now that I'm eating like a red blooded American again I have the recovery capacity for that intensity.

Got a breadmaker... fucking heavenly. Once I land on a good whole wheat recipe my cypher will basically be complete.

17. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

18. conceptionist

Maybe. Haven't read it.
    To be fair, you should not take a single study as "the truth". Apart from various validity concerns there's also quite a bit of statistical malpractice in the health sciences.

2 people like this.
  19. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

I completely agree. In particular, it's unfortunate that fitness studies are typically done on untrained individuals. I wonder how applicable those results are to someone who has been training for years.
    This is not meant in reference to any of the above studies, just all studies on fitness in general.

20. accordion

accordion Senior member

I'm falling off the wagon, haven't gone in 2 weeks though I could've, bad sleep, tired after work, can't wake up early enough to go before, etc.