1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Wouldn't compliance be studied indirectly by the results? Or are you suggesting that one of the diets was superior but people didn't adhere to it so it was moot?

2. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

If they didn't comply wouldn't they be removed from analysis ?

Ie they dropped out of the study because they were stuffing their face

proving that calories in is all that matters but keto might have the advantage of easier to stick to

But I'm too lazy to read the whole thing

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. ridethecliche

No, the trend, in medicine anyway, is to include those people since it measures the effect of behavior. I.e. you can make a better estimate of what will happen to your patients because they are also likely to adhere similarly: full adherence, partial adherence, no adherence. It's a more population level approach than an individualistic approach. People do analyses using as treated and intent to treat for that reason. So you say what happens to the entire group and also to sub populations, i.e. you'd do a sub group analysis comparing those with good adherence to the overall cohort to see if that would make a difference.

4. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

it seems impossible to achieve any meaningful result if noncompliant was not excluded

So basically the two groups could eat whatever calories or macros they wanted ? And still got included in analysis ?

5. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Main benefit isn't satiety. You're only supposed to feel like shit for the first month or so.

6. ridethecliche

Patients in the real world are free to do what they want after their doctor recommends something as well. It's an additional way of looking at the data to make sense of what would happen in the real world, that's why you analyze it both ways.

1 person likes this.
  7. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

8. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Great video so far.

So at 9:45 at the "current guidelines" slides when it lists hypertrophy does that basically mean "getting big?" And is there really difference is muscle size and muscle strength?

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

There is a difference in muscle size vs. strength; for instance, you'll often see very fit power lifter types, stronger, but tiny in comparison to their bodybuilder bro counterparts...

10. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Eh, I'm skeptical of this. I think it's more that powerlifters are training specific muscles to do a specific movement, they aren't doing 9 different types of accessory lifts every workout so the muscles that aren't as useful for powerlifting movements won't be as big. I don't bodybuilders actually have larger but weaker muscles

11. conceptionist

Some other interesting takeaways from the video is that the Broscience guys got some things right:

1) The old school bodybuilding practice of eating small meals every 3 hours seems superior for muscle growth in comparison to "normal eating" or Intermittent Fasting. This, because the body can only use so much protein for maximum stimulation of MPS per instance (meal) (actual number is ~0.25g protein/kg BW per meal, which is often much lower than many lifters eat).
    2) The almost mythical bodybuilding practice of waking up in the middle of the night to eat, seems rational since sleep is the time where we "lose" most muscle (MPB surpasses MPS). This negative effect can however be mitigated with a higher dose (40g, or 0.5g kg/BW) of slow digesting casein protein pre bed.
    3) Intermittent Fasting and IIFYM or not caring about meal frequency does thus not seem to be optimal for maximum muscle growth.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  12. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

13. conceptionist

14. msg

msg Senior member

Anyone have experience with patellar tendonitis? Posted a while back: after a set of dead lifts 7 weeks ago, knee started hurting hours later, pain only seems to be under knee cap and in the patellar tendon at the base and top of knee; joint feels fine. Tries rest + ice/heat and then saw a doc (surgeon for the local baseball team) who said 99% chance it's patellar tendonitis, proscribed meloxicam, which I've been taking for a week.

Week over week I think the knee is improving. But hard to tell because it's been happening for so long.

Does stretching and other knee exercises (like the stuff recommended by Coach Sommer and GST) help tendonitis? Or should I just keep doing nothing?

15. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Senior member

I had it bad a few years ago from running on a short track. I got better by resting, doing decline body weight squats and wrapping my knees in those rouge fitness voodoo wraps a couple of times a day. You can also roll the knee directly on a foam roller.

Edit. I only rested from running. I did the decline squats immediately after severe pain set in.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  16. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I wonder how much carryover it has to non natty lifters as I've had a good amount of success with very high rep sets lately as workout finishers.

17. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

18. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Brad schoenfield usually studies trained individuals which is why I like him as a researcher.

19. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

anyone's university got access to the full paper they can post?

20. msg

msg Senior member

How much time elapsed between onset of symptoms and returning to normal? How did you use the wraps, seen a few different recommendations