1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Yeah, some people won't have a problem from day 1, other people will find it impossible. Practice and repetition and it will get easier and easier. Just hold an empty bar in the rack position every day for a minute will help too.

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

I know this is probably anathema to this thread but I started ... crossfit ... and never really been exposed to front squatting before now. What's tough is that my wrists/forearms fail long before my thighs/hamstrings/back.

3. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Crossarmed is probably the easiest work around, followed by this:
    [​IMG]

But yeah just doing the movement will help a lot. Make sure the bar is sitting where it should and not rolling onto your delts (push your elbows UP), and try using different hand placement/width. It will be easier with a wider grip and only a few fingers on the bar. As you get better at it you can move your hands in a little bit and starting getting more fingers on.

4. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

As mentioned, keep elbows up throughout the movement. Don't let them drop.

You'll be fine after a couple of weeks. Your wrists will get flexible enough pretty quickly.

Make sure you're doing the movements properly: Check with Olympic weighlifting coaches, not crossfir coaches.

1 person likes this.
  5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I went to a free class with some friends and it was actually kind of fun and really good anaerobic exercise. Even though they do like high rep complex exercises

6. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Also if you come from a powerlifting background you're probably used to low back squat and lots of forward lean, whereas if you're doing front squats and cleans you need to stay as upright as possible.

7. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

There's nothing wrong with Crossfit. There is something wrong with Crossfitters who do WODs to get better at WODs.

1 person likes this.
  8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Okay guys brb winning pro card

1 person likes this.
  9. Teger

Teger Senior member

It's kind of horrible and exhausting but I guess that's good for you. It's awful to have to run a bunch then come in and bust out some thrusters, but gets you back in shape real fucking quick

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

4 reals?

11. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Men's version of bikini?

12. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

2nd place fuck it im doing powerlifting

2 people like this.
  13. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Confused?

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

what's the go to mid-tier bro-friendly clothing brand for normal but nice stuff? My uniqlo is falling apart and i'm ready for an upgrade.

15. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

MTM or bespoke everything, duh

16. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I'm poor so nearly everything I own is Suitsupply... still contemplating to one day go MTM.
    Polos are Kent Wang, you can get those RTW (roughly like RL SlimFit) or MTM.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  17. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

yeah everything is tailored, but a bit of stretch and an ability to do neck/sleeve on shirts (and not a super slim style) is what i'm after.

A buddy suggested RL Polo, which actually seems about right.

18. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

All my shirts are from Luxire, are comparable to my old Barba etc in material and construction quality, and they fit perfectly.

1 person likes this.
  19. Teger

Teger Senior member

My dream pants would be super tapered with a mid-high rise and stretch. They don't exist.

I use Luxire for shirts, but they don't really have fabrics that have stretch. I sent then a MTM shirt I had made and have made slight adjustments -- at this point the fit is really dialed in.

For pants, I wear a lot of Wings + Horns. Also Blue Blue Japan stretch chinos (amazing) which are roughly ~$140 proxied from Japan with the weak Yen.

If you want really generic stuff, Club Monaco is a better alternative to Uniqlo. If you skip over the polo shirts and other terrible shit, they sell a lot of good, work appropriate basics that get pretty discounted. Their 100% wool sweaters are great and durable, and their dress pants are well-patterned.

For suits/jackets, SuitSupply or Eidos on sale (I'll buy if it's sub-$400)

You only need like 2-3 ties - I like Kent Wang or Bigi.

Belts, spend some money and get 2 tubo belts from No Man, you'll be set for life.

Shoes, I wear a lot of Tricker's (sub $200 all the time on eBay/Grailed), Meermin and Alden.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I hate the low armholes on the uniqlo blazers. Love the fabrics and the cut tho. But never again. Would rather MTM