1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I didn't link it. He looks around 5'7-8

2. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Your genetics aren't screwed if you don't have good abs above 10%, jfc what did I just read.

You don't need to be that lean if you don't want to. Noone cares about abs except for other dudes.

You also don't need to be big/fat enough that you "look like you lift" by internet standards, because again, no one cares except for other dudes on the internet.

It's way more rewarding to just focus on being fit and healthy and improving at gym/sport/life.

3. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

That's not what he said

4. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

People can be whatever they want to be, and be happy doing so.

5. GuP

GuP Senior member

Didn't know this thread existed. Any tips on how not to "buttwink" when squatting? Been doing a shitload of warmups, foams rolls, hip stretches, etc. and even bought some lifting shoes, but most times when I break parallel the sacrum rolls under causing it to "wink" Maybe I am not bracing abs right? Not sure. Even removed all weight where I am just doing the bar, and it still occurs.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. accordion

accordion Senior member

it's a flexibility issue

1 person likes this.
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Gym has a cable bar. Just set it up with the attachment at the highest point and had it attached to one side. Brought the bar down in front of me and held it horizontal for a static hold. Kinda like a pallof press from a different direction. Felt insane to hold it for 15-30 seconds.

Always nice to find another core exercise to add to the rotation!

8. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

No, not necessarily.
    Often, its simply a result of your technique, that is, you are squatting in a way that causes butt wink.
    In other instances it can be an effect of how your hip is constructed.

Upload a video of you squatting. Film straight from the side, at chest or hip height with your whole body visible.
    That way we can give advice specific to you, not just guess what is the cause for you.

9. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Real talk. Realest talk in this entire thread, actually.

10. conceptionist

This is so obvious I really shouldn't have to say it, but that goes for you, not necessarily everyone else.

My most rewarding period in training was (surprise!) when trained it as a sport, at a club with other powerlifters, had a qualified coach, was competing, and had clear goals that I saw consistent progress against. I am not competing any longer due to injuries and other priorities, and while training is still somewhat enjoyable, it is not the same for me. One of the things I enjoyed most about training as a sport, was that it liberated me from all the aspects of being "fit", looking "good", etc. That does not matter when its about performance. Now I have different priorities, but that does not make my former goals or those of other powerlifters/strength athletes/whomever less worth.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I workout with friends alot now. Just sorta goof off and lift. Get a pump. I find it fun. My new girlfriend is super on it as far as being active and eating good. I've been leaning out a good amount because of it.

12. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Sure, but the point hendrix is making is that you're measuring your (fitness) worth by competing with other people to approximate their fitness/strength/aesthetics. That attitude inevitably leads to disappointment.

It's really no different than the teenage girl reading Cosmopolitan and obsessing over why she can never quite seem to nail the same look as the cover model. I'm sure you know this, but a reminder: there will always be someone younger/bigger/stronger/faster/handsomer than you.

My interpretation of what Hendrix is saying: enjoy the lift for the sake of the lift and not what it means for your existence in relation to other people. It's as much for mental health as it is physical. Keep in mind that there will come a time in your life, years from now, when you won't be able to do any lifting - take a minute to appreciate the small moments. You'll get a much bigger level of overall health for it.

13. conceptionist

Sure, I understand your point and I agree.
    For me personally, I never compared myself with others as it was quite clear from the start (and even more so after some time lifting) that I would not become truly competitive, especially so since I was not prepared to go all in (at my height you need to weight a lot). It was fun to test myself.
    It just feels weird transitioning back into casual lifting. I like some aspects, such as that clothes fit better and I generally feel healthier, but on the other hand training feels less meaningful (I'm aware this is irrational). I think most people who have quit sports/a hobby suddenly have gone through the same thing.

14. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

I get what you're saying about transitions; it can be hard to flip a mindset. I also understand that some people are very goal oriented and look for activities with processes designed to reach a goal, which sounds like the training you were previously doing.

You don't have to simply do casual lifting with no goal, though. There are a lot of other fitness routines to master than don't involve lifting the heaviest weight possible. Yoga, pilates, any number of martial arts. I personally focus on the journey instead of the destination. I find it takes my mind off that need to accomplish and then one day I suddenly reach the end point.

At any rate, I just think hendrix is pointing out that the metrics people measure progress by in this thread are a bit skewed. Missing the forest for the trees, so to speak.

2 people like this.
  15. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I don't want to get lean for other people. Im already in better shape than most people I know (I did meet a dude who may be off to the Olympics for lifting- he did not even look like he lifts). I'm just doing it for me. I think making the assumption that people are pursuing a certain goal to impress other people is a little.... presumptuous. And even if someone does it for a competitive reason, so what? One can compete and measure themselves against others without completely losing themselves in it

1 person likes this.
  16. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I enjoy the endorphin high from lifting weights, the better sleep that night, and overall if I have a good workout I'll be much more relaxed over the next two days.

Other than that I work out because I'm vain. I do think men are more likely to look other men over when it comes to having muscles. Women love a fit body too, but men are more conscious about it. I don't think it's sexual at all, but I think there is something primal about squaring up against another man. If I think of all the men I've butted heads with over the years, the ones that have been the most persistant have been taller than me, or while they may not have been muscular, weigh more than me. Guys also notice if girls want you. I hang out with a lot of nerds who are not really in shape, or the most well put together guys around, and if I talk to one of their lady friends or girlfriends, they start to feel very uncomfortable even if there is no flirting at all, and I have a pretty chill non threatening personality.

I think this has circular benefits because this stuff makes other men see you as kind of a leader, and if women notice that it will make you more attractive.

1 person likes this.
  17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think the meat of your post basically states that it makes you more self confident, which is a pretty good quality to have in general unless you're a pompous dick.

18. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

Your post made me smile because I totally agree with you on this.

Also, on the other matter, I do exercise for the sake of it. I am a fitness junkie one would say. I like all kinds of training. I lift weights, I do Body Pump, Body Attack, Grit Series, I jog, I do HIIT, I did yoga (didn't like it), I did pilates (I got tired of it), I swim when the weather is appropiate... and I do all that (and a few more things) just because I like to do it. I don't compete with others while doing so, or try to obtain a certain physique, I just enjoy myself and the atmosphere when doing so. Nevertheless, there is always a vanity component in all of this... I want to look (but mostly feel) good. I don't want Gregg Plitt's body (R.I.P.) but I do want an athletic, functional, good looking one... and that is not that hard to get, really.
    For lifting weights I prefer to be by myself but for other activities I enjoy the collective classes, the overall vibe is usually outstanding. You even make new friends with some people you never thought you could be friends with...

19. accordion

accordion Senior member

Exercise is also very important for mental health. That, vanity, and to balance out my smoking are my reasons. Less so now that it's become a habit.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  20. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I like working out because I know it mentally makes me feel a lot better, more so than any anti depressant i've ever taken.

Not far behind that though, is doing it for the girls, and my own vanity.