1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. 1up

1up Senior member

Norse Aros heavy chinos are pretty relaxed, I just pinroll mine to tighten the taper.

2. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

This upper 70s weather is great, but I kinda want another month with my Stephan Schneider coats and jackets

2 people like this.
  3. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Too big of a waist will be a problem as long as you lift and don't get into the higher bodyfat ranges, but you should not have much problem finding pants that fit 24" thighs.

If you still try to fit in slim fits, low-rise and the same kind of cuts you wore pre-lifting, yes, they will fit badly. But most regular cuts like classic menswear labels do them should fit you fine. I started to get problems around 27". In order for it to look right, I had to buy pants with long rise and full upper thigh and preferably pleats. Actually kind of relieved I'm a bit smaller now.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  4. llamaone

llamaone Senior member

^ Wow, where did that come from? Spam much? At least the dude is truly embracing the verbiage of the thread title: random thoughts...

2 people like this.
  5. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Generally anything that fits my thighs and waist without alteration has a 9"+ leg opening. Which either means I have to size up in slimmer fit and have waist and seat taken in, or buy straight fit and have tapered.

For example the jeans I'm wearing right now are tagged 34, have a 25.5 thigh, and are still borderline tight, yet the waist is big enough I don't need to unbutton to take them off. I tried the size down with 25.25 thigh and it was definitely too tight.

Gustin straight fit chinos have a similar thigh to waist ratio. Tag 34 = 35 true waist and 25.5 thigh.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  6. conceptionist

I gave up on jeans long time ago. I find they tend to be cut closer to the body with lower rise and narrower thighs, which together with the not so forgiving fabric causes problem. Full cut menswear pants tapered below the knees should fit at least somewhat better off the rack. A single pleat can do a lot of difference since it allows the pants to come out from the body so they can fall straight down over the quad sweep to the hem.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

This me to a t. I gave up on chinos. That side slit pocket on most of them flares out at the hips. In the summer I wear straight chinos and pinroll them

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  8. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years when wider hems and straight out flares hit the mainstream.

Flares were usually paired with a short rise at least in the 70s. But the tendency over the past few years has been higher rise (that carrot shape) so I wonder if it'll carry on with the wider hems.

9. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

For a look at a shorter rise flare/boot cut on an athletic guy, check out Charles Bronson in Cold Sweat. Modern Margiela also borrows quite a bit from that style with their jeans.

Looks good IMO if you aren't huge through the thighs. Gotta have it hemmed quite short which is annoying, and it seems to only work with a trim fit throughout the body.

The opposite wider hem style is oxford bags so presumably you can get away with a range of different fits.

Also Veronique's men's collections pretty cool.

1 person likes this.
  10. accordion

accordion Senior member

Advice on how to get back from an extended break? I usually do a full body workout the first day and hit every area with 1-2 exercises, then divide my schedule for the rest of the week according to what feels the least sore. Not very scientific I know. Going hard next week during spring break.

11. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

If I get back after an extended break, I start out with leg day and just destroy them. I always wake up the next morning feeling like a beast. I would not be surprised if it spikes my testosterone. A good way to start back up.

1 person likes this.
  12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

All things considered, I think things are going pretty well right now lifting wise.

I recently started eschewing heavier DB movements to do high set, high rep cable flyes because I feel them in my pecs way more. I think I'm going to keep that up for another few weeks atleast and see how it goes. The soreness/pump I get with just using like 25 lbs on each side is way more than I get doing flat/incline bench with 70lb dbs. It's also nice to mix stuff up.

One of the big things I'm hoping to do is to get some good delt/bi separation. Starting doing pretty strict lateral raises again recently so hoping that helps. I can curl 50lb dbs for 5-8 reps now again, so I think things are progressing nicely. I can see most of my abs right now too which is a nice thing given that it's ~mid march.

I'm hoping to be pretty solid by may which staying about the same as far as weight goes. I've been pretty stable at 175 since school started though I look way better now.

I also realized we have a TRX at my school gym, so I've started doing 1 leg pistol squats on that while holding on. I think it's going to be a pretty good movement to build up some flexibility and strength and have some fun doing unilateral leg stuff. The experiment with the hack squat machine was sadly short lived as it seemed to bother my ever tempermental back. So it goes.

I'm pretty excited about this weather too. It'll be nice to get some rides out during the semester. I've been trying to transition to being more of a morning person so my schedule isn't totally fucked up when I hang out with my GF who works pretty early. It'll be nice to get a workout in before I would have even woken up earlier in the year. At this point I'd estimate my strength is like 80-85% of what it was this time last year. Not too bad all things considered since I was atleast 5 lbs heavier then and way more solid. My back is definitely lagging relative to last time. Gotta to hit my 'good' gym a lot in the coming weeks and do a shit ton of cable rows and hammer strength rows. And gotta stop neglecting traps again too I guess.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  13. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Yea things are looking good going into this year's cut as well. I dropped 27 lbs and gained 17 back. Didn't get a lot stronger but I did gain some muscle and I'm leaner now than I was at this weight last year. Unfortunately it looks like I'm gonna have to drop another 20 to even get close to where I wanna be. Def gonna have to cut again next year and hopefully not gain so much back. I learned a lot from the last cut and have a plan in place though. Lot stronger with cardio as well which will help a lot. So we will see.

Speaking of which, anyone got any good websites for lean crockpot recipes? Been messing around with it and I'm enjoying it. I know there was a lot of talk about it before but I'm not gonna dig through thousands of posts to rehash shit people already know.

14. ridethecliche

Turned 27 yesterday.

Don't look like I did a year ago which was the goal, but decided to test strength. Hit 90x5 on both db bench and db row. Had more in the tank but decided to take it easy. I guess this is a pretty solid step. 70's felt heavy a few weeks ago. I'm pretty stoked.

Hoping to keep this going. I can't wait to see how things shape up in the next month and a half. I think I'll be pretty solid by may.

15. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Calling this "bulk" a failure, pretty much

I gained back ~15lbs from a 27lb cut and am squatting and benching literally exactly what I was when I got off my last cut :facepalm:

I am leaner at this weight than I ever have been, and I did make some gains on shoulder shit and hamstrings and I tightened my form up on bench and squats.... but still.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  16. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I got a Vitamix again after 6 months without. My stomach hurts right now getting use to all the fiber again.

I'm still trying stuff out with my rice cooker. Right now I'm trying to find the perfect time to use for boiled eggs made in the steamer basket. 20 mins leaves a runny center, but I want to shoot for a soft center next time. I think once I perfect this, then I'll work on prepping soy sauce eggs for a week, the kind they sometimes put in ramen.

Have not been working out much because of a busted elbow.

17. conceptionist

Back in the gym after 10 days or so off from being sick. Lost another 4 pounds so down to 190 now.
    Squats are feeling decent (when my knee is not bothering me) but bench and deadlift suffered quite a bit from the time off and weight lost.
    At least clothes fit a lot better now than at 210 lbs and I generally feel better at this bodyweight and fat percentage. Don't think I'll go up in weight again in a long time. I'm pretty happy lifting casually and doing whatever I feel like in the gym at this point.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  18. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

In between weight classes for PL tho

1 person likes this.
  19. ridethecliche

Don't think he's going to compete much if at all anymore

20. APK

APK Senior member

I've been watching some YouTube videos from some of the bigger Instagram -caliber fitness dudes and it's some of the most vapid, shallow nonsense. Like watching an episode of the Kardashians but with more Umoro protein shakers.

1 person likes this.