1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. llamaone

llamaone Senior member

I've been lifting 4x per week on an upper/lower split for a while, but gonna start doing full body 3x per week starting tonight. Which means I'm going to need a squat rack and a bench in the same workout--on a Monday--and my gym doesn't have nearly enough of either... damn. Oh well, I'll be sure to claim either or both by throwing a towel over the bar while I go do other things.

Jk about that last part.

2 people like this.
  2. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Taking the arch out of my bench killed it. Damn. Struggling to put 225 up for 3x6 again. No real gains were made :(

4. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Reset and rebuild. Better technique will bring longer term gains anyway.

5. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Better technique?
    A big arch is more efficient mechanically and is safer for the shoulder joints by reducing ROM and increasing stability. If you arch correctly, eg. not taking out the whole arch in the low back, its also fully safe.

@Cool The Kid
    Same for me, cutting now and bench was going down until yesterday when I managed to get a big arch for the first time in a while. It drastically changes the whole lift for me.

A downside for me is that I've developed these ugly rashes on the outside of my shoulders due to pinching them back and digging them into the bench, and so when I go through the bench motion the skin gets sort of stretched out.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  6. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Yeah, I kinda called bs on myself with that one. I'm night shift and tired, ignore me

1 person likes this.
  7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I barely bother with barbell bench anymore tbh. Spent a few months away from it after my appendectomy and haven't returned to it.

8. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I've never once benched with a barbell. Seeing videos of men stapling their chest/necks scared me away. I just use dumbbells if I'm going to hold something over my neck like that.

9. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Pussy [​IMG]

10. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Infinite emg studies that show DB's are much more effective than BB bench. The most effective BB variation for hypertrophy is apparently the guillotine press anyway. Unless the barbell bench is part of your sport or you just really love the movement it's not really worth it. I cycle it in as a second or third movement because I like it but haven't focused on it since hypertrophy became my goal.

11. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I always arch when I bench but never arch when I do cgbp.

@reggs I've seen guys wrists give out doing dumbell press and they dropped a heavy dumbell right on their chest.

@OccultaVexillumtry lightweight decline reverse grip bb bench. I get a crazy contraction from that.

12. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Yup, thats what I do as well. On accessories/variations of bench I strive for longer ROM, try to feel the muscles more, and overall just do them more like a bodybuilder than my competition style "regular" bench. My purpose for those is more to build muscle. Decline bench is a favorite. The pressing angle feels smoother and stronger, like with an arch.

I'd say that if you are going heavy or use a strict progression program, BB bench is safer, mostly because you can properly spot, use a rack, and stabilize yourself easier.

13. Eason

Eason Senior member

I'm curious what the progress of the rhetter has been over the last, oh say, 7 years. Can we get some before and after pics from some regulars in here?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  14. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Just ordered creatine. Never taken it before. So excited. I hope it doesn't make me look bloated with the water weight.

I hear some people use it in "cycles" and some use it continuously. How long is a typical cycle? I also read it takes at least 3 weeks before you notice anything.

15. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Eason

Eason Senior member

nice man. did you go pescovegetarian or full vegan for that?

2 people like this.
  17. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

You don't need to cycle it.

18. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Full vegan but I attribute the 80lb weight gain mostly to glutamine and NO Xplode.

4 people like this.
  19. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

[​IMG]

This was two years ago. Look almost exactly the same now, but without the extreme farmer's sunburn and now have more visible abs.

20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Freshman year of college (2006)
    [​IMG]

Nov 2015
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.