Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

3 weeks and still have a sore throat w/ swollen lymph nodes... time to see a doctor? I really, really, really want to avoid anti-biotics this once.

2. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

^ arent you bulking, bubble boy? You should feel strong like bull . . .

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

I wish I could gain weight (fat or muscle). My metabolism is too fast.

i'm going to re-quote this for extra [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and for the promise that im going to rip off your head and shit down your neck so that you can both a)gain weight, b)stop being that fucking guy who cries about his metabolism causing him to not gain, and c) continue to talk out of your ass because that's all youve been doing [​IMG]hsnap:

4. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

i'm going to re-quote this for extra [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and for the promise that im going to rip off your head and shit down your neck so that you can both a)gain weight, b)stop being that fucking guy who cries about his metabolism causing him to not gain, and c) continue to talk out of your ass because that's all youve been doing [​IMG]hsnap:

+1

It's just as stupid as obese people complaining about their "metabolism".

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

^ arent you bulking, bubble boy? You should feel strong like bull . . .

negative, been doing a soft, gentle cut

6. Klipsch

Klipsch Member

3 weeks and still have a sore throat w/ swollen lymph nodes... time to see a doctor? I really, really, really want to avoid anti-biotics this once.
    Without reading anymore of the thread, based on the same symptoms I had last year I would say you have mono my friend. Avoid any Penicillins or Penicillin derivatives as you'll break out in hives.... I'm speaking from experience here, I ended up having spend the night in emergency at the hospital because it got so bad... edit: At the very least I'm pretty sure you likely have strep, head to the walk-in asap.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

My bench press is embarrassingly low compared to my other lifts.

Not that i really care what observers think, i'd just like to be lifting a respectable amount, as i am with deadlifts and squats.

8. Asch

Asch Senior member

My bench press is embarrassingly low compared to my other lifts. Not that i really care what observers think, i'd just like to be lifting a respectable amount, as i am with deadlifts and squats.
    Are your rotator cuff muscles strong?

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Not that i really care what observers think, i'd just like to be lifting a respectable amount, as i am with deadlifts and squats.

The bench press is quite a technical lift in my opinion, so you might want to have someone check your lifting form. For the first three years of my "gym lifetime" (back in hs) I benched like shit - ended up wondering why I could never get past some ridiculously low weights.

When I started training again after my national service, I had a lifter friend of mine correct my technique, which had been bad all along. It helped a lot.

Also, some huge DOMS going on... squatted with decent poundage two days ago - still feeling sore in the legs. Hope I'm not coming down with something... I hate being sick man, shit sucks.

10. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Are your rotator cuff muscles strong?
    I believe so. I do fairly decent weights with incline DB press.
    The bench press is quite a technical lift in my opinion, so you might want to have someone check your lifting form. For the first three years of my "gym lifetime" (back in hs) I benched like shit - ended up wondering why I could never get past some ridiculously low weights.

When I started training again after my national service, I had a lifter friend of mine correct my technique, which had been bad all along. It helped a lot.

Also, some huge DOMS going on... squatted with decent poundage two days ago - still feeling sore in the legs. Hope I'm not coming down with something... I hate being sick man, shit sucks.

Yeah it could be my form ay. I only started back at the gym about a month ago after a 2 year hiatus due to lack of funds.

A couple of years ago i used to get my mate to lift the bar off the rack with me; that allowed me to be in position from the beginning with my shoulders right back and my shoulder blades together.

I don't do that anymore cos i just work out by myself. Getting the bar off the rack could be affecting my form.

On the other hand, it has only been a little over a month.

Sucks if you're getting sick man. I'm still in the excited stage where i wanna go to the gym like every day. Hated missing a few days when i went and visited my folks.

11. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

The barbell bench press involves so many more muscle than just the pecs; if one of those auxiliary muscles is weak the whole lift is affected. When you press it involves the lats, triceps, front delts, pectorals, and rear deltoids. Increase your overhead pushing strength as well as the other muscles involved in the bench press and your poundages should go up.

Check out this video on powerlifting bench press technique by the legendary Dave Tate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

I use this page to kinda track my progress on the major lifts. It might tell you that your bench is lagging or right on, dunno. It tells me I am only good at deadlifting.

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

^^^ According to that chart I'm doing pretty good. I hit on the line between intermediate and advanced for my weight. I must be doing something right.

I also discovered two of my suit jackets no longer fit. Oh well.

14. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Without reading anymore of the thread, based on the same symptoms I had last year I would say you have mono my friend. Avoid any Penicillins or Penicillin derivatives as you'll break out in hives.... I'm speaking from experience here, I ended up having spend the night in emergency at the hospital because it got so bad...

edit: At the very least I'm pretty sure you likely have strep, head to the walk-in asap.

Already had Mono, shouldn't be mono again. Could be step, but no fever, and sore throat is just moderate. I will beat this motherfucker IF IT KILLS ME.

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Already had Mono, shouldn't be mono again. Could be step, but no fever, and sore throat is just moderate. I will beat this motherfucker IF IT KILLS ME.

Either that or you might go down in history as another Typhoid Mary.