1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

When powerlifters talk intensity it's the % of their 1RM

Most work is usually done 75-sub90

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

For aesthetics maybe you can achieve the same results with what you advocate. From an anecdotal standpoint, a lot of people have gotten great physiques on the typical low frequency bro split, even without roids. But for actual performance in a sport (such as WL or PL) as a natural, there is no question that higher frequency and more volume gives better results, given that you can handle the high workload.

3. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

I generally lift 5 days a week. Do other things twice a week (jump rope, push sleds, weighted carries, sprints). If I feel shit I take Sunday's off and have a cheat meal. I wouldn't call what I do low frequency or low volume. Intensity is variable but I take at least the last set of each exercise to failure, if not beyond. I'm 31.

Monday was legs.

yesterday was push
    Low inc db press: 3x8, 4th set x 10 (fail)
    Flat BB bench: 2x10, 3rd set x 9 (fail), 4th set 12 (rest pause fail)
    Dips: 4sets to failure (15,14,12,10)
    BB military partials (middle portion, top portion, bottom portion): 3x6 reps in each portion, 4th set failed (6,6,3)
    Db side raises: heavy partial/full rom superset, 3xfailure
    Db oh ext: 4x failure (20, 16,15,13)

Today is push:
    Weighted pull-ups: 3x6, 4th to failure (8 goal)
    Land mine rows: 4x failure
    High pull complex: 3x6's (high pull/clean/bb row)
    Rear fly/face pull superset: 3x failure
    Curls: 6-8 sets of diff variations

I'll do random things tomorrow then fri-sat will be upper-lower. With similar volume to the above.

4. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

Right I did not realise

Yeah I don't even know what my 1rm is

Yes I only care about aesthetics and endorphins

Most people are the same? Maybe not Its apparent im out of touch lol

5. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Yeah I might. I'll see how the next 3-4 months go after the cycle then I might try some winny.

6. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

There are definitely more physique / bodybuilding people than there are powerlifters or weightlifters.

But why not both? It's what I do. Big lifts, supplemental movements, and then upper body fluff all day

7. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I roasted boneless skinless thighs to eat for the weak. Holy fuck, Wednesday and I already want to kill myself.

How the fuck are you all prepping chicken that's tasty and you can still eat for 4 days straight?

8. Nafets47

Nafets47 Well-Known Member

I had a question.

I am currently hitting the gym 6-7 days a week. Each day for at least 1 hour. Furthermore I am doing intermediate fasting after hitting a extreme low carb, no sugar, high protein diet. And I am not able to knock off the last bit of weight.

I am not doing that much cardio, just 1/2 to 1 mile run after each exercise to relax but I am curious if I am doing something wrong.

9. skeen7908

Because I guess you are always going to have to sacrifice something. If you want to use up recovery ability on big lifts and improving poundages, there is less to use on physique

Obviously there is some overlap though (you need sufficient strength to provide enough stress to provoke aesthetic progression), but you've got to have some idea of what your true goal is

This is what I'm talking about with regards to over-training.
    Just doing way too much for no good reason

1 person likes this.
  10. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

So I've been going to the gym when it's crowded and it sucks cuz my weight room is tiny and has 8 squat racks facing each other. Normally I'd glance at other people's form when resting between bench sets, but now people are deadlifting and cleaning right in front of me. I have music on and like to just look around but everyone who's not a regular is super self-conscious. The regulars know it comes with the territory, the new kids just make everything awkward. Also I hate beats headphones, and non-regular girls in the weightroom who rest like 15min between sets of half squats and boss the racks when a line is waiting. Had some aerobics girl claim my squat rack when I put a towel on the bar and my weightlifting shoes/phone on the floor and went upstairs to get a foam roller. Didn't wanna be an asshole but lol.

11. skeen7908

Is it legitimate to "claim" a rack just by leaving your towel on it and then going elsewhere?

You didnt even load any weight do any reps?

12. accordion

I had been waiting in line and putting your stuff in/on the rack means it's yours, I've never had anyone else claim it. It's a college gym where there used to be two weight rooms, they closed one and made it into an aerobics area and moved all the squat racks into one room. So every now and then girls who had been doing yoga just barge in and do random shit, like smith machine donkey kicks or smith machine glute bridges. Usually the hot ones go about their business and the beat ones try to attention whore.

13. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

why didn't you just tell her you were using it and she can work between your sets?

She wouldn't have even known what she was doing.

14. accordion

I told her nicely that I had been waiting and she told me that you can't just "call" a squat rack and left angrily, even though that's exactly what you do. Working in is awful when there's a big height difference and you'd have to readjust the bar position or help the person lift the bar off for every set. I know I left to get a foam roller and warmed up at the squat rack but I usually stay for an hour or more. I'm complaining here because I'm drunk and that was the most interesting thing to happen to me today.

2 people like this.
  15. skeen7908

Tbh id be pretty pissed some guy drapes his towel to mark his territory then goes off to foam roll

Would probably just jump in

Maybe I'm missing some of the details

16. accordion

It's a school gym, there are 8 squat racks for 30k students. I went during the busiest time off the day and waited for like 20min for a rack to open, as soon as it opened I jumped in, put my stuff down, went to the bathroom and got a foam roller. i had been doing the same thing for a year and a half. Some of the PLers get chalk out and do band stretches at the rack before they lift. I just do frog squats and leg swings. I don't know if that girl was in the line behind me, most likely not since if she did, she would've seen me waiting ahead of her. I understand how it might look to outsiders but I was totally in the right.

17. skeen7908

[​IMG]

why didnt you piss and foam roll in the 20 minutes you were waiting?

5 people like this.
  18. accordion

cuz I would've lost my spot in the line.

can we just steer the topic to things I hate at the gym?

bros who wear sleeveless shirts and proceed to rub their scent all over the squat rack

beats headphones, seriously I see so many

people who are squatting 50lbs more than they should be and quarter squatting, more worried for than hate.

bros who only deadlift and make a huge deal about it everytime, swear to god I've never seen those people do anything else.

people who think you're looking at them and look at you back when you just wanna look at the clock.

people who ask how many sets you have left, and no matter what you say, they stand next to your squat rack to claim their spot instead of waiting nicely by the door, which makes you feel bad for resting too long.

girls in general, they're either distracting or annoying.

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

What are you doing for your workouts? Typical bro-split? What's your diet like? How do you feel on it?

6-7 days of lifting sounds a bit much unless you're doing things pretty low intensity, in which case probably better going a little more Skeen on your workouts...

20. skeen7908

next time i'd just piss right next to the squat rack and if anyone complains say you didn't want to lose your spot in line

I'm still smh at the bizarre logic here: why couldn't you drape your towel on th floor to protect your place in the "line" ?

It would have been just as weird as what you did, but has the advantage of not wasting time with an unused rack

1 person likes this.