1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. 1up

1up Senior member

what

6 people like this.
  2. accordion

accordion Senior member

I fucking love squatting, I just wish I can do it as often as possible without getting treetrunks.

Been doing a set of core/lower ab exercises given to me by a physical therapist. After about two weeks, my lower back pain is noticeably better. Also never realized what tightening abs meant until recently, as in pulling belly button against my back. I watched some video that said to keep air in my abs and expand them while coming up from squat and I'm pretty sure that screwed me up.

Also did a hiit routine for the first time, 6 min of biking, 1:30 at 90 rpm, 30secs at 110 rpm, then 3 minutes of rowing, 40 secs at sustainable pace, 20 secs sprint. 6/3/6/3/6/3, three sets, 27min. Felt pretty good afterwards.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

[​IMG]

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I just realized that I turn 27 in less than 2 months. I'm doing pretty well keeping on top of my exercise routine so far this semester even though it's way harder. We have a gigantic exam next week, but I think I'm going to start the membership I bought at the powerlifting gym after that.

I'm in half decent shape right now. Strength is okay, but the muscular endurance isn't. My year gets so much easier when I finish this crazy anatomy block in school. I'm hoping to get back in the shape I was a year ago, by May this year. Started seeing someone that works out like crazy so that should be good incentive too. I'm still sitting about 172 right now, so I don't think I lost THAT much muscle. Can still bench 70's for 10 but want to be able to do 80's by march.

Anyone have any advice for when I start going to the powerlifting gym? They have a lot of hammer strength equipment, so I was hoping to start using that because I can 'feel' it way more. Not sure if there's any negative to switching over to that. They also have a barbell (obviously), which the gym at school doesn't have.

I'll probably still end up going to the school gym every now and then and they have DB's there and I can get a quick session in late at night or right after class if I feel like it.

Also finally bit the bullet and got meds for ADHD... should probably have done this in college, but lets see what happens. Still trying to figure out dosages etc, but woah it's remarkable what a difference it makes.

6. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

About the powerlifting gym, prepare to share the powerracks and barbells. People may use one for over 2 hours. Don't camp on equipment without sharing.
    Also, don't walk close to or in front of anyone who is lifting heavy. Prob safest to not walk into their line of vision during a set.
    Load barbells correctly. That is, no 20+20 plates when you can use a 40 plate. Heaviest plates first, lighter plates towards the end of the bar. Clean after yourself and put back everything you use. Common sense stuff that barely gets used at regular gyms.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    3 people like this.
  7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Common sense ain't common when regular gyms are full of idiots.

2 people like this.
  8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah, I'm good with my gym etiquette, so I'm not worried about that part. I'm also a student so I'm planning on going during the day when it's least busy.

I might just a bench, but I think I'm mostly going to be sticking to the Hammer Strength machines and some of the other stuff like that. I might try using the hack squat machine again to see if I can do that light (135-185lbs) without pissing off my back.

Mostly, I'm just happy to go back to a gym where I don't feel like I'm going to have to improvise to get a good workout. Goal is to go there atleast 2x a week with supplemented workouts from my school gym. I might get some adjustable dumbbells too so I can do some light shoulder/bi/tri/leg work from home since I'll be able to do that light on days when I just jump on the trainer. Housemate has a shitty bench too that we could probably use.

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Remove the common sense and add sloth and you'll have my gym, people do all the things you've just said not to do.

Also they leave chalk allllllllllll over the place and pretty much marinate the bars in it. The worst still people not putting the weights back and smearing their perfume all over them.

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i hate to sound like a dick but i look at some of the members in the sW&D thread and wonder what kind of genetic junk pool some people come from. how do grown men have 34" chests and size 8 feet?

3 people like this.
  11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

12. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

The junk pool that takes a strong interest in style to draw attention away from their genetically inferior bodies?

1 person likes this.
  13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i think thats a solid hypothesis

14. venividivicibj

Maybe I should get this for studying.

15. venividivicibj

For those of who you pack lunches for the week/plan your meals ahead of time, what do you guys make for lunches? I get sick of eating the same chicken 3-5 days in a row, need some new ideas and variety

16. accordion

accordion Senior member

Things I've realized about fashion, can't have any leg mass, pretty obvious but still amazing to see 190cm models having 20" thighs. And more annoyingly, can't have any chest mass. 190cm with a 38" chest isn't normal. Don't understand how those people get by in daily life.

1 person likes this.
  17. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Do you have a microwave?

@accordion

Feel your abs and obliques and forcefully exhale as much air as possible. The tension in your musculature after you force the last bits of air out is what you're trying to achieve while bracing for a lift.

1 person likes this.
  18. venividivicibj

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I've had a similar theses about fashion bloggers and fitness girls for a while.

20. accordion

accordion Senior member

I think the way you prepare chicken matters a lot. Recently started sauteeing/seasoning with turmeric, paprika, salt, cayenne, and thyme, tastes a lot better than regular seasoning, But I usually fast till lunch then eat oatmeal/cereal, and a big dinner later.