1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Crat

Crat Senior member

Been out of it for a while but raining regularly again now. Feels good.
    Form check on these worksets?

[VIDEO]
    [/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Don't see you creating much tension in your lats before the lift, bar is not in optimal position after it leaves the floor as a result and is drifting a little out in front of you which will put you entirely out of position at higher weights. Actively pull the bar tighter into your body using your lats. Also would like to see a more neutral head/neck position.

Knees are only a few degrees short of full extension before hip extension begins in earnest. Start flexing your glutes through earlier when the bar is still below knee level.

Good pelvic position at finish.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Going mostly vegetarian myself. So far, so good.

4. concealed

concealed Senior member

5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

6. msg

msg Senior member

You guys going veg does that mean no fish? Where will you get your protons!?? Don't tell me soy

1 person likes this.
  7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Soy is the easy option and it's freaking great.

Been eating vegan for 3 months now except for mussells and oysters.

It is really quite easy. Protein isn't a concern.

8. Eason

Eason Senior member

Hit a PR of 255 x 4 on bench. (Natty PR of 3) Hope to hit 315 by the end of my cycle.

1 person likes this.
  9. rjbman

rjbman Senior member

Recipes / tips?

10. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

It's really easy. B12 supplement obviously but I'm pretty lazy and it's still really easy to meet macro/micro needs. Tofu is essentially the same as meat, macro wise.

Easy shit that I cook when I'm lazy (i.e. every day):
    - stir fry veggies with tofu (firm). Sweet chili sauce or soy sauce or whatever sauce you want. I use couscous when I'm lazy cos it's literally just boiling the jug, but rice isn't exactly difficult either. Can make the whole thing in 3 mins.
    - any mexican-ish bean recipe.
    - spagetti bolognese but with mussells instead of mince. can of tomatoes, italian herbs, mussells, pasta. couldn't be easier.
    - falafel kebabs (pre-made falafel mix, you should be able to get it at the supermarket)
    - chickpea, bean, lentil or a combination of all curry - use canned beans/chickpeas/lentils cos they don't need to be cooked for long and are ready in 5 mins. Google indian recipes,
    - hummus on toast. All day, every day. Store bought even though making it is super, super easy.
    - peanut butter on toast. All day, every day.
    - soup - leftover veggies, silken tofu, beans, soup mix/whatever's left in the pantry

Stuff that's always in my fridge/freezer:
    - tofu
    - peas and mixed veggies
    - fresh fruit and veggies
    - soy milk for cereal
    - frozen berries for putting with my oats for breakfast

stuff that's always in my pantry:
    - canned beans, chickpeas, lentils
    - couscous, brown rice, wholegrain pasta
    - quinoa etc when i'm feeling fancy
    - oats for breakfast

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Oh and I grind up some flax seed in a coffee grinder and chuck it in with my cereal for breakfast for the omega 3. Very cheap and easy.

I think I spend less than half what I spent when I was eating meat.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I could eat this every day. Sweet potato hash with hot cherry peppers, bison and chicken/turkey Italian sausage.

[​IMG]

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Similar to @hendrix I've been mostly vegan since New Years Day. Oats with ground flax seeds, walnuts, and berries for breakfast. Salad for lunch. Beans and various vegan entrees for dinner. Snacks include nuts, pumpkin seeds, and fruit. Drinking green tea (Matcha) throughout the day. Even bought a vegan pie for dinner last Sunday. I've been pleased at how well this is going. Hope I can keep this up.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This looks yummy. Love sweet potatoes and have been eating them a lot lately. Discovered Stokes purple sweet potatoes, now hooked on them. Good stuff.

15. Homme

Homme Senior member

^ I've been eating okinawan sweet potatoes (white outside, purple interior) heaps lately. Roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt, cinnamon and a light drizzle of honey

16. APK

APK Senior member

On the other end of the spectrum, I've been eating more meat in the last couple of weeks than the previous several months. Basically ditching protein powders unless in a pinch for quick protein. Feeling godly lately.

17. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

[​IMG]

Cooking time: 14 minutes.

1. Chop up a kumara/sweet potato (the orange kind, purple isn't the best for mashing) very small so it cooks quickly. Boil in water with two tablespoons quinoa (optional if feeling fancy). Drain and mash with one tablespoon sweet chili sauce.

2. While kumara is boiling, chop broccoli and sautee in a pan with frozen corn and peas for 5 mins. Or whatever fucking veggies you want. Add a can of kidney beans. Or whatever fucking canned beans/legumes you want. Drain and rinse the kidney beans first if you don't routinely eat a lot of beans. Season to taste.

Done. Save some for lunch tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Also one final point on the veganism:

GAS!!!!!

I abruptly switched from lots of meat to 100% plant-based, and my colon microbiome wasn't used to all the extra fibre. I was severely gassy - to the point it was actually painful - for two weeks.

Solution?
    1. More tofu/fake meat, less beans and legumes, at least initially. Still eat the beans/legumes because they're freaking great, just not every meal like I was. Ease into them. Also drain and rinse them first as this gets rid of the oligosaccharides which you probably can't tolerate a lot of yet. Need to build up your population of healthy bugs in your gut.

2. White rice, potatoes, white spagetti instead of brown rice and wholegrain pasta, initially. Just less fibre until you're ready.

3. Cut up your veggies extra small, chew lots. This just makes it easie for you to digest and means there's no chunks of undigested food getting through to your colon - just the fibre.

After a few weeks you can ease back up the fibre and beans etc. Just gotta ease into it.

19. accordion

accordion Senior member

Is the soy estrogen man boob thing a myth?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  20. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

No adverse effects have been noted when intake is kept under 40something grams of soy protein per day.

Strength gains are another story with soy underperforming milk proteins by far

1 person likes this.