1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

What kind of deficit were they running that enabled them to lose fat and gain muscle?

And yea when I was cutting 300g+ per day of protein definitely seemeed to help, both with satiety and strength/muscle retention.

2. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

It doesn't seem to state the groups' average amount of total calories, only protein intake, and that total calories increased for the high protein group.

What's interesting imo is that the high protein group lost body fat despite eating more at the end of the experiment than they did at the start (see second bolded sentence under "Results"). This could be due to the thermogenic effects of high protein intake.

I'll maybe try to increase protein intake this preparatory block. Currently eating 1g/lb (200g). Might try 250g.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  3. Cool The Kid

Yea the # of calories is definitely critical. I guess at recomp levels of calories though playing with the protein balance could be the key. Right now I am getting about 200-225 reliably. If I cook dinner at night I should have no problem getting back up to the high 200s- low 300s. Just such a pain after a day of work.

4. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

3.4/kg is a lot

You'd have to be mainly getting that through protein powder right?

I'd be farting all day would be the main problem

1 person likes this.
  5. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Just spent nearly a whole afternoon catching up on weeks/ months of RHET. How is everyone here always injured? Makes me concerned about form even more.

I started bulking after my summer beach vacations. It was a mix between calculated macros with slow increase in carbs and "OMG THEY SELL ICECREAM!". So I'm now up to 74kg from the 68.x kg I had when I had sixpack abs. I'll cut again until I'm down to 70 because I feel legitimately chubby now even though people didn't even notice I gained weight. Gained some upper body strength but just generally had no real drive/bite, training didn't move too much.

Curious if there'll be any muscle gain left after that cut. Arms look bigger but hard to say if they'll stay that way once I'm not Oprah sized.

6. Cool The Kid

I am dialed in on this bulk. Not really even watching the scale anymore though I am up 10lbs from my all time low during the cut. Main metric I am tuning my diet/calories around is my waist size which is holding steady in the 31" range. All my big lifts are moving nicely, except for shoulder press which is bitch weight right now (105x10!!!). Never was a strong lift for me but there was a time when I was moving ~165x5 on it. Don't really care though

7. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

I feel that! I was up to 140 for 5x5 pre-flu. Only just getting back to around 120 for 5x5 and my rc's feel fucked so it's messing with my bench, which is still down over 30lbs on my 1rm.

Just so frustrating trying to get back without pushing too hard and fucking myself up again

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Everyone in this thread should check out www.biomedcentral.com

@Cool The Kid Concurrently gaining muscle and losing fat is easy to do outside of broscience

1 person likes this.
  9. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

3.4g/kg is quite some protein, yeah.

I saw a similar study where they had a group eat 4.4g/kg...
    No significant results there anyway.

Edit: here it is
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24834017

10. Nafets47

Nafets47 Senior member

Random question for those who would know.

Me and my friends have a wager going on that I just hopped in on (late unfortunately), about getting the best 6 pack by our company Xmas party. However they have been at this for 2 months, and I for 1 week now.

This I would usually find lame and not partake but due to the incentive of winning $500, I am down.

I am trying to cut hard and have basically been skipping meals hardcore, such as lunch and dinner WTF is that? for two days here and there, and only eat in the afternoon when I want to choke someone. And I have stopped going to the gym during this time as I wouldnt be getting much out of it due to the low fuel intake.

So I just wanted to check if you guys are aware of a better way to cut than my current approach? I am only planning on doing this for the next week or so then getting back into low carb high protein diet and getting back to the gym hard.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'm down about 15 lbs since I left my job in May.

:(

12. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Intermittent fasting + lifting + PSMF + ECY = $500

13. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

14. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

15. Eason

Eason Senior member

I've just been focusing on MMA, I find it much more fun. Still do both, but my focus is on MMA more. Plus I can literally eat anything.
    [​IMG]

16. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I would want to perhaps read that paper, but at this time there's a pile of about 30 papers on my desk that I have to absorb, or such is the opinion of my advisor.

17. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

DNP is probably cheaper, clen won't do much at least in that time.

18. Nafets47

Nafets47 Senior member

PSMF and ECY??? what does that mean?

19. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Protein Sparing Muscle Fast
    Ephedrine Caffeine Yohimbine

Basically eating nothing but lean protein and greens, hating life, and feeling like your heart will explode. But you'll drop bf like no one's business.

2 people like this.
  20. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Pretty much what he said. It's ridiculous for fat loss but you're probably going to have a rough time if you've never done any type of contest prep or extreme dieting before. Not meant for extended dieting, do 4 day cycles with a large carb refeed on the 5th preferably following a leg or back workout.

I wouldn't take the yohimbine before lifting, only before low-intensity steady state cardio; the blood pressure issues while bracing are real.

If you're already lean and close to looking like a human anatomy poster (8% ish) you can try a topical fat burner like Vasoburn. It dries out the area and noticeably accelerates local sub-q fat loss

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015