1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. milosh

milosh Senior member

Looks a lot like aikido in that respect

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Anyone could defend against those weak ass slow ass punches.

3. Eason

Eason Senior member

It's just Squat/bench/row/pullups alternating with squat/press/deadlifts. I regulate the sets as needed. Usually I do 5x5 for squat and bench, 3x5 for press, 1x5 for deads, and whatever for the others.

If anyone is interested in martial arts, self-defense, or simply the human reality of violence, I highly recommend Meditations on Violence.

Read it when you have time, it isn't long: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_UppXo8ZcHvX091dm81WjlsVlE/view?usp=sharing

1 person likes this.
  4. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

I need your help with something guys.

I read wonders about these weighlifting shoes that are great for squatting and all that... but what I wonder is if there is too much difference between these type of shoes and the shoes that are made for Crossfit. I think they have the same shape and seems to me like they are the same... do any of you know??

Thanks in advance.

5. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Lifting shoes have a solid heel so they don't compress in the drive. They're no real use for X-fit cos you can't really run or box jump in them. Opposite applies for X-fit shoes used for lifting; they don't give the same solid base. Even Inov8 335's which are supposed to be kinda a hybrid of both are reviewed to be horrible for running.
    TL:DR. Get lifting shoes for lifting

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  6. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Crossfit shoes, like the nano, are a kind of minimalist shoe. They are light weight and have a flat sole, I kind of think of them like updated chucks - though the sole of the nano is maybe slightly more squishy than chucks.

Lifting shoes are more rigid, heavier, and have a raised heel. Pretty much the opposite of a minimalist shoe.

7. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

Thank you for your opinions. I saw a friend with his new crossfit shoes and they seems to have a solid base as do the squat shoes... so that got me thinking... he uses those shoes for squatting, deadlifting but not for anything else... so I was curious and thought that maybe they could be used for those purpuses.... and he is not the only guy I have seen using two different pairs of shoes while doing crossfit... that is why I asked.

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

9. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

Thanks for the recommendation @MGoCrimson

I think I will ask my friend if he lets me borrow his once and see how it feels...
    I googled the shoe I was talking about and his Reebok R Crossfit Lifter 2.0 or something like that, I googled it a while ago... it has many good reviews. Anyways, I will keep you inform if he ever lets me use them hahaha...

10. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Regarding the knife, if you look closer, you'll see that the defender had control of the attacker's knife hand/arm before he laid in the kicks. That being said, unless you're under some obligation to stand and face a knife assailant (e.g. cop), your best knife defense is to train the 40 meter dash.

Regarding "weak ass punches," the point was to demonstrate the techniques, not sparring. That's why the attacker wasn't going at 100%, and neither was the cop. Actually, there's no reason to spar at 100%, either.

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I really appreciated how smoothly the techniques were executed. It had that wow effect.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

No, I get that he had control of the knife hand. My point is that knife assailants don't tend to thrust once and nicely leave the knife hanging out there; they tend to stab multiple times in quick succession.

Totally agree to the best defence being be a faster runner

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

like very basic defending against knives, fighting with a fixed bayonet. nothing more.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

@fit is a generalist sport, so shoes designed for it are not going to excel in any particular sport, but will pass for all. Weightlifting shoes are built for weightlifting, and hence are very, very solid. This makes them generally also very good for squatting etc. where you want a solid base so you can apply force. The reason weightlifting shoes are like they are come from the requirements of the sport itself.

If you want to get rom deuce for purely squatting, that's fine. They will be a superb choice for that. However, there's many other alternatives if all you want to do is squat, like the adidas powerlift trainers etc.

1 person likes this.
  15. barrelntrigger

Agreed with the prison yard shank techniques and the best defense against a knife is to run unless the assailint throws it at you. I think in most case when you go against a knife wielding assailant, the chances of you get maimed and suffer a permanent injury is high.

1 person likes this.
  16. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

Thanks. I was just considering giving those a try, just to squat basically... I had the opportunity to buy the ones my friend has at half the price, so they would be quite cheaper than any of the other shoes I have seen specially designed for squatting...

17. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Yes, but keep in mind that this was just training. Again, the attacker wasn't moving with true purpose and resisting, so the defender was able to execute the techniques with ease. In the real world, the attacker would have been hitting with 100% force, probably moving in anticipation of the defender's moves and also maybe tracking the defender's evasions. And he would have been resisting all those take-downs, too.

Which is all to say, in the real world it's much, much messier. The rub is, in training you can't go 100% or else you'll end up hurting your partners. On the other hand, it doesn't really prepare you for the realities of combat. You just have to do the best you can, basically.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  18. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

I agree, in the real world people don't use knives like that. But as I said above, for training and demonstration purposes, that's how the technique goes. You're right, in the real world people, especially untrained people, will use the pincushion attack, but there are ways to defend against that as well.

19. barrelntrigger

What's your background in the martial arts? I'm actually interested seeing these techniques.

I've had 5 years of traning in Krav Maga, and a few years in kung fu and kick boxing. In KM, and we are taught always to deescalate potential violent situations but if you must, you hit him first, hard, and fast, and retreat. Your being objective is to get away alive, not to win aka looking cool for go for a ko. Thus, we are always practicing aiming for the groin, knees, solar plexus, throat, and etc. When we were sparing, our coaches would encourage to strike vital points even with boxing gloves on (50% and you can't really chop someone's throat with 16 oz. gloves on but you can kick the groin lol) We don't really practice on take downs because you would have really engage the person and if you are doing well, his buddy could stick you with an ice pick. Bad day for you. So, we do a ton of combatives. This is another reason when I see smooth take downs such as depicted in the video, I get all awestruck.

20. Eason

Eason Senior member

Generally, combative techniques for the army are just for building confidence and conditioning. They aren't seriously meant for use. Same with those police techniques.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_UppXo8ZcHvX091dm81WjlsVlE/view (I guess nobody read this)

Similarly, a China-cop like that would never find himself in those situations and they are filmed solely for propaganda purposes.

2 people like this.