1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Thinking about doing some hypertrophy work outs and keeping the rep range between 8 - 15 using maybe around 65% - 70% of 1RM. Gonna cycle the program for 6 weeks and then take a week off.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Any guidance for someone else looking to do the same? I'm sitting at like 174 right now and I'm soft as well. I want to cut down to like 160 and then build up again to 170-175. Probably want to stay at that weight just for future stuff. There's too much up in the air in the next few years with schedule stuff so I'd rather pick a weight that's easier to maintain at instead of doing a totally failed bulk due to life.

The next 2 years should be 'reasonable' as far as med school goes and I'm going to stay active for social life stuff (hiking/camping/cycling?/etc), but I don't like being as skinny as I am now after traveling. 175ish shouldn't be too hard to maintain and going between 165-175 should keep the wardrobe stable.

Sigh. So much for starting med school looking solid :(

I guess I have 1-2 months of decent weather to get stuff together?

3. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Easy to keep track of and to make programs with but linear progression like that simply will not be as effective as undulating periodization once the newbie gains are over. I don't understand why people keep making their own programs any longer when you can easily find ones made by real coaches working with competitive lifters.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  4. ridethecliche

People have different goals.

1 person likes this.
  5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

1) Buy a sous vide machine

2) Buy bone in skin on chicken breasts and SV @ 150* for 1-4 hours.

3) Debone/de-skin, dice chicken and toss with whatever sauce/spice mixture you like, giving a quick cook in the pan in the pan, or make chicken salad with greek yogurt for added protein/satiety.

4) Buy a zojirishi rice cooker and always have brown rice on hand.

5) Snack on fruits and veggies.

With all that brotein you shouldn't have trouble eating at a deficit. I'm actually gonna try and hit a 750 cal deficit for as many days as possible.

6. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Sure, I'm just thinking you could train the powerlifts (if you like to train them) with a strength template, since thats how those lifts are most effectively trained imo, and then add whatever else exercises you like and maybe do them in a BB manner.

I don't really like the "add weight to the bar every session or when you can" approach for the squat, bench, dead and other smilar compound lifts, for anyone except beginners.

Edit: Just realized none of you (rtc, gn, jarude) can train the powerlifts heavy [​IMG]

7. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Do you feel you should stop adding weight every session once the lifts get close to your limits then? I started mixing things up a little by doing lighter sessions in a higher rep range in between the heavy ones but I know I should prolly have left 5x5 a wee while ago

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

My QLs are twitching around. I think I'm going to skip deadlifts today

9. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Made some pretty damn good slow cooker pork, but put a bunch of oil in. Think I'll portion it out per porkchop as I eat them. Is that how you guys would do it?

Two weekends ago I ate a ton of pizza, I budgeted for the calories by lowering the day before and day of, but still got a ton of sodium in and got bloated as fuck (~8 lbs gained). Drank on Monday and Tuesday (not a ton), but budgeted it all, but have been carrying a ton of water ever since. Alcohol dries me up and then bloats me out the day or two after. Gonna hit the sauna today to try to sweat some of it out. Weight's been coming down but just not fast enough. Gotta watch my sodium intake.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

I eat tonnes of salt when im cutting, salt, diet coke, cool whip, those weird jello brand sugar free puddings. You're trying to lose fat not water weight. You're not like dieting for a show where it matters.

11. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I hate feeling bloated though. I've been full of water for like the last week and a half, it sucks. I'm sure it'll get worse as I get leaner too.

12. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

lol complaining about 8lbs. Try +/- 17lbs over 48 hours. I'm not a big either, ~200lbs @ 6'.

13. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^ what calorie tracker do you use, and are you weighing all food? I should track calories, at least approximatly...

14. ridethecliche

Can't*

But yeah, exactly.

Honestly, I'm so happy that I was able to go backpacking for 2 months with minimal back/leg issues. I think hiking and maybe snow shoeing/ xc skiing is going to be in my future.

My focus is shifting to the 'I don't want to be a fat doctor' focus. I want to be able to be in shape enough to enjoy cycling, lifting, camping, etc for the next long big. Also got the motorcycle bug and want to be able to enjoy that and it's a lot more fun in shape since it can be a core workout with all the gear on ya. There's a lot of 'fun' to be had if you're in shape though. So... I'm really hoping to keep that going. I went too much on vacation mode over 2 months.

15. accordion

accordion Senior member

i've been cutting but also getting drunk on vodka everyday for the past week and lost 3lbs while PRing on deadlift.

2 people like this.
  16. no frills

no frills Senior member

+1 - best wishes on keeping in good shape to enjoy your endeavors.

I've ripped my right pec, injured my left shoulder, fractured my ankle, endured a category 2 tear on my right calf, and worst of it all - hurt my lower back in the late 1990s, periodically reinjuring it once or twice a year since then - over the last quarter of a century of varying my workouts, tempo, going for PRs, just pushing myself well beyond what I ought to have been doing. And for what? At one point I wanted to up my weight in certain lifts, push myself beyond my previous limits, add an inch here, shave an inch there. Even competed once in bodybuilding and another time in powerlifting.

Now I keep myself injury-free, maintain a decent four pack in the off season on a 31 inch waist, added a few calisthenics moves to my repertoire just for kicks, having fun learning how to jump rope, maintain blood pressure of around 110/70, total cholesterol of 124 (no typo there), and a clean bill of health from the Doc. Maintenance mode means dumbbell curls with 50s, which still turns some heads (in my little gym in our apartment building) - but who cares about all that? I'm healthy and can keep up with my two young girls, I spend less than four hours a day in the gym, I enjoy learning new things (photography is a recent hobby), and occasionally posting on SF.

Quite happy with where I am. Doesn't mean I don't set little goals here and there for me to meet and exceed, but - I'm just not as crazy as I once was.

1 person likes this.
  17. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I would mess with a prescribed program for bodybuilders but not PLers. I dont deadlift or 1RM, Im all about hypertrophy and body composition. To that end I think one can manage with linear progression with some deloads and a little periodization (i.e. holding a lift steady for a while etc) should be OK. Would a coach help, sure but its not really rocket science I dont think.

18. ridethecliche

@no frills

I've had 2 back surgeries and I'm only 26 so yeah, injury avoidance is pretty high on my list.

I've had some image issues since i broke my face 8 years ago, so starting physically fit is important to me. Just gotta keep things in perspective. I was pretty happy with things right before i left. I'm sure I'll get back there in the next 2-3 months if i place my cards right.

19. ridethecliche

In other fun news, my place for school has been delayed. Won't be able to move in until a week after class starts.

To make matters worse, my old landlord won't give back my deposit. Fucking hell...

20. Eason

Eason Senior member

Maybe if you weren't a beta pussy he wouldn't be able to take your shit