1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. msg

msg Senior member

Programming - as opposed to computer science - is easy to pickup on your own, especially if you have a good background in math/science/engineering, or at least an ability to think logically and abstractly.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I really should learn some programming

3. msg

msg Senior member

As for stats, when I interview someone - and these are people coming out of some of the best technical universities in the world - I've found that stats experience sets someone apart from the crowd because they're the ones who know how to argue with data. Very practical skill.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  4. milosh

milosh Senior member

...but if you want to be good at it you have to do a lot of it. You can know all the rules but then you realise it's as much of an art as it is science. Whether that's how it should be or if that'll change at some point is up for discussion but that's how it is at the moment.

5. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I'm aware of that. Taking a java class right now.

6. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Here's a great flip side to using programming. My bosses had a massive spreadsheet that had a worksheet for each of our investors and their individual statement. It was a massive document. I got it down to a single worksheet using very simple VBA and some more "complicated" Excel formulas. Now they need me for life because they have no idea how to do any of that stuff. Suppose that's both a blessing and a curse. They want to keep me on as a part time contractor while I'm in school for a bit, which is great, but they'll probably be calling me about this shit after then too, haha

Made tacos to take to work for the next couple days. Chicken breast in supposedly adobo marinade, cilantro lime rice, fresh pico. Making tortillas tonight. The marinade turned out too sour/sweet IMO, not sure if it was the orange or lime juice or the fact that I cooked it with too much marinade on it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  7. accordion

accordion Senior member

ordered a pair of margiela jeans on sale with free returns 90% knowing they won't fit my thighs. Sometimes I wish I could get back dem scrawny asian legs, would make wearing pants easier.

8. conceptionist

I wish this every day. Many of the designers and cuts I used to wear look stupid now. Disproportionate.

The same can be said for upper body. Don't really like the look of a wide chest and shoulders and bulging triceps in normal clothes.

9. accordion

accordion Senior member

upper body a lot easier to deal with with looser clothing though, whereas skinny straight legs are required for the proper look of the majority of EU/Asian brands. Speaking of which what are your guys' waist/thigh measurements? I can't really complain cuz I'm like at the edge of having to abandon skinny pants but can still fit into some even if they look stupid. 34" waist/23.5" thighs.

10. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Finally got round to getting a beautiful pair of Panta trousers hemmed, only to find they're now skin tight in the thighs. Oh, I also ripped the as out of my Oliver spencer tweed pants at my daughter's birthday party; not the seam, right across the top of the thigh :(

11. conceptionist

34 waist where I wear jeans, 33 higher up for pants. 26.75 thighs.

12. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

This is why the only lower body movements I do are squats and deads

13. conceptionist

I'd say 90%+ of my leg volume comes from squats and deads. Imo squats to at least parallell depth and where you actually use the legs to squat the weight up (not the back) are the single most effective lift for building big legs. Then you can of course play around with stance width, foot and knee positioning to put more or less emphasis on quads or hips.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  14. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Shrug. I squat in the mid 5s raw and have shit for all vastus lateralis development and I'd like to keep it that way.

15. conceptionist

That's good for you (serious).
    Perhaps its because of your squatting style, volume or just genetics. Long term you might be limiting your squat by not putting on size though.

My quad development really kicked off when I increased to high frequency. Roughly half of the sessions are deep olympic squats and in some cycles I've done a lot of blood flow restricted high rep squats. Those are horrible but very effective ime.

16. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

weightlifting builds the most sartorially challenging body. so fucking nice to have a 36 jacket fit but not fit into a 38 pants because mah quads and ass

17. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Yea, I'm about to start a higher volume cycle after deciding to reach for a lifetime goal of 3x bw. Just picked up some SBD sleeves(normal sized) too, so I'll see what roughly double the volume does for my quads. My booty development on the other hand is reaching tear-my-pants level.

Not sure how I would describe my style — perhaps medium stance, low bar, and initiating the descent with a hip hinge? I generally only get sore in the glutes, hamstrings, VMO, but rarely the rest of my quad after squatting.

If I ever see myself heading in your direction quad sweep-wise, I'd reign in the squatting, hard, haha

18. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I went made-to-measure for suits in order to deal with this problem. Buying suits off the rack stop being option for me years ago when I was cycling avidly. The sartorial struggle continues now that I'm lifting.

19. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Clothes are too expensive, especially with shit constantly changing. Im thinking going forward ideally my weight is going to fluctuate like 10lb a year. Cheaper + more fun to have a nice body and just let shit be imperfect. I don't wear suits much so shit's more flexible for me.

I do think I have made legit leg gains though, which is a shame. Before I started lifting I had a 31-32" waist, and could wear size 32-34" pants. Now my waist is back down to ~32", but I'm pretty much stuck with size 34-36" and it's only going to get worse.

20. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

yeah but in weightlifting this is especially problematic since you get no upper body mass and huge legs

1 person likes this.