1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. virus646

virus646 Senior member

They wont grow. You will maintain for a bit then lose some muscle mass until they reflect your new training stimulus.

1 person likes this.
  2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I do bodyweight exclusive for chest bc of the shoulder.

It's always been laggy but it's not more laggy than it used to be.

3. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

@TeeKay happy birthday

1 person likes this.
  4. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Eh as long as intensity is high you can grow your legs. Look at people who sprint and bike sprint.

5. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah, track sprinters squat heavy, though it depends on the country they're from.

Sir Chris Hoy lifts a shit ton (Squat, leg press, deads, etc). Some of the other european nations might not do as much as that, but track sprinters are jacked compared to regular cyclists.

7. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Yep, they do lots of squats as well.

For example, this german ''sprint-cyclist?''

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Unless you do an endurance sport, then you're looking at a different kind of training:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I have a buddy who is a Cat 3 racer... not one of those bird bone feather weights, he is a 200lb Hatian powerhouse. He just started squatting, but long before he set foot in a gym his leg game would put everyone in this thread to shame. I think squats are a good exercise, most specifically because they are a great indicator of fitness... u cant squat with wack core strength or imbalances.... but u dont really need em to build big legs.

1 person likes this.
  9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Sir Chris Hoy:

[​IMG]

He's an olympic gold medalist on the track and has hit over 50mph indoors.

10. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Adding a rep to my bench every single time I go, 2300 kcals was a good target, thanks RHET.

11. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Can somebody take my girlfriend off my hands for like 6 months? I'll pay you 1000 a month as long as she doesn't bother me until its cold out again.

1 person likes this.
  12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

That feel when borrowing tesseract's girlfriend pays more than current income.

4 people like this.
  13. fuji

fuji Senior member

What? You're below the poverty line?

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yea, I even have food stamps. Hopefully this will all end soon, I'm not employed right now.

15. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

What? Both of those are white meat. Boneless has more breading, it is more unhealthy. Besides, boneless wings are glorified chicken nuggets and are for pedophiles. The choice is clear.

2 people like this.
  16. conceptionist

[​IMG]

Great video on why heavier weights and "progression at all costs" isn't always better for getting stronger.

The first thing my coach had me do when I started with him was to take weight of the bar in order to lift every rep with better technique. Haven't missed a rep in training since and I think it makes a lot of difference in the long run.

Also good tip to look at the Russians and how they train. Average intensity in the Sheiko programs is 67% iirc, which I belive is significantly lower than Stronglifts or whatever 3x5 / 5x5 where you are quickly lifting over 80%.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  17. conceptionist

This may also be of interest to some of you.

A study that compared bodybuilding split to full body routine:

Quote:
    The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of training muscle groups 1 day per week using a split-body routine versus 3 days per week using a total-body routine on muscular adaptations in well-trained men. Subjects were 20 male volunteers (height = 1.76 ± 0.05 m; body mass = 78.0 ± 10.7 kg; age = 23.5 ± 2.9 years) recruited from a university population. Participants were pair-matched according to baseline strength and then randomly assigned to 1 of 2 experimental groups: a split-body routine (SPLIT) where multiple exercises were performed for a specific muscle group in a session with 2-3 muscle groups trained per session (n = 10), or; a total-body routine (TOTAL), where 1 exercise was performed per muscle group in a session with all muscle groups trained in each session (n = 10). Subjects were tested pre- and post-study for 1 repetition maximum strength in the bench press and squat, and muscle thickness of forearm flexors, forearm extensors, and vastus lateralis. Results showed significantly greater increases in forearm flexor muscle thickness for TOTAL compared to SPLIT. No significant differences were noted in maximal strength measures. The findings suggest a potentially superior hypertrophic benefit to higher weekly resistance training frequencies.
    J Strength Cond Res. 2015 Apr 30. Influence of Resistance Training Frequency on Muscular Adaptations in Well-Trained Men.

http://journals.lww.com/pages/login....00000000-96921

18. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

[​IMG]

19. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. conceptionist

In the study I posted the subjects were not beginners.

I'd also argue that it is easier to reach a higher volume with a higher frequency, if you are willing to spend long sessions in the gym many times per week.

For instance, consider the same total volume over a week with different frequencies:
    Most people would be be able to squat 3x3 @ 70% 5 days a week, and in the same session do the same for bench press.
    I personally think it would be much harder to do 15x3 @ 70% once a week, or 7x3 @70% two times a week, both for squat and bench press. This might be an extreme example but it gets the point across.

I think I've also seen a study where split training gave better results, iirc for beginners.