• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol it's funny to read all this skeen-based rustling with him on block. I read ya'lls responses and then try to picture what he might have said and for some reason the voice I've assigned to him in my head is very nasally and has a slight lithsp.

ellsbebc

Reaction score

People tend to put too much emphasis on protein, when carbs/fats should be the things you worry about.

The whole 1g/PRO per lb of BW is overplayed, I've seen recommendations up to 2g/lb BW. Though, when I ask for credible sources they can never deliver.

Most of us are in postprandial states all  the time, and with the amino acid pool being more than sufficient to facilitate the elevation in muscle protein synthesis in the (up to) 36-48 hours following a weight training bout. The argument of .5g/lb, 1g/lb, 1.5g/lb becomes moot and nothing more then biased subjectivity.

Slam a pound of UP 2.0 daily to get your dietary fats to get huge like Deisel

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@skeen7908 what training would you recommend in lieu of Iron Addicts SPBR? e.g. squat, bench, and deadlift usually 3x5 for working sets. I've been on this program forever and seen my lifts go up. Currently I've managed to hold my volume while losing weight moving from 160 back down to 150 (5'9). Been thinking for a long time about dropping squat/DL because my body is not proportional. Recently, I then read here most people do extra sets to help certain body areas that are lagging catch up. I remember @GraphicNovelty recommending a friend a full body training routine to his IRL friend. I'd be interested in that. On the other hand, I do enjoy squats/DL..

anyways, to answer your question as to 'why' I actually got into lifting was for the benefits of playing basketball. i'm what you describe skinny fat but by lifting managed to put on some muscle so i don't get pushed around in the key. that and the gripping strength helps with ball handle and shooting. the functional aspects is i also don't gas out easily and can play better defense while I pivoting and guarding the player with a more nimble squat-like-stance versus static, straight up where the player would blow pass me to the hoop.

i only got more active in lifting after reading others' stories here that i find motivating or helpful.

rjbman

Reaction score
Knee is bugging me, haven't lifted in a week and it tends to bug me when sitting down. Should I still go to the gym and do normal, or skip squats, or skip gym?

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow gonna try and record deadlifts at 405 till failure.

Inb4 I pass out and hit head on bar and die of massive head bleed.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@skeen7908 what training would you recommend in lieu of Iron Addicts SPBR? e.g. squat, bench, and deadlift usually 3x5 for working sets. I've been on this program forever and seen my lifts go up. Currently I've managed to hold my volume while losing weight moving from 160 back down to 150 (5'9). Been thinking for a long time about dropping squat/DL because my body is not proportional. Recently, I then read here most people do extra sets to help certain body areas that are lagging catch up. I remember @GraphicNovelty recommending a friend a full body training routine to his IRL friend. I'd be interested in that. On the other hand, I do enjoy squats/DL..

anyways, to answer your question as to 'why' I actually got into lifting was for the benefits of playing basketball. i'm what you describe skinny fat but by lifting managed to put on some muscle so i don't get pushed around in the key. that and the gripping strength helps with ball handle and shooting. the functional aspects is i also don't gas out easily and can play better defense while I pivoting and guarding the player with a more nimble squat-like-stance versus static, straight up where the player would blow pass me to the hoop.

i only got more active in lifting after reading others' stories here that i find motivating or helpful.

If you want to build your upper body work your upper body more. Try something like a Push/Pull/Lower to hit your upper body 2 days a week.

Push:
Bench: 3x5
Face Pull 3x10
Incline Bench 3x10
DB Flye 3x12
Tricep Dip 3x10
DB shoulder press 3x10

Pull:
Heavy Pendlay Row 3x5
Weighted Chin-Up 3x10
DB Row 3x10
DB Bicep Curl 3x10-12
Lat Pulldown/assisted pullup 3xF
DB Shrug 3x10

Lower
Front Squat: 3x10
Stiff-Legged Deadlift 3x10
Roman Chair/Calf Raises 3x20
Glute-Ham raise 3x10
Leg Press 3x10

Obviously play with the rep ranges and stuff but that should fill your upper body out and keep your lower body strong. If you'e got the energy/time/motivation you could even distribute your lower body exercises to the other two days (Front Squat/Calf raise/Leg press on Push Day, SLDL, GHR on Pull Day) and go A/B/A.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am going to try this and let you know how I progress (0)

I may need to take out the dips as my right elbow has been giving me pain since forever... any good elbow sleeves feel free to let me know :)

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want to build your upper body work your upper body more. Try something like a Push/Pull/Lower to hit your upper body 2 days a week.

Push:
Bench: 3x5
Face Pull 3x10
Incline Bench 3x10
DB Flye 3x12
Tricep Dip 3x10
DB shoulder press 3x10

Pull:
Heavy Pendlay Row 3x5
Weighted Chin-Up 3x10
DB Row 3x10
DB Bicep Curl 3x10-12
Lat Pulldown/assisted pullup 3xF
DB Shrug 3x10

Lower
Front Squat: 3x10
Stiff-Legged Deadlift 3x10
Roman Chair/Calf Raises 3x20
Glute-Ham raise 3x10
Leg Press 3x10

Obviously play with the rep ranges and stuff but that should fill your upper body out and keep your lower body strong. If you'e got the energy/time/motivation you could even distribute your lower body exercises to the other two days (Front Squat/Calf raise/Leg press on Push Day, SLDL, GHR on Pull Day) and go A/B/A

I appreciate this quick setup too: been doing Stronglifts for months now and looking to swap for something new, and this could be the ticket.

Last edited:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to keep "real" squats and deadlifts, add 3x5 deadlifts to pull day and add squat 3x5 to leg day. I ran a variation of that workout while my core was effed.

Today at Physical therapy i was doing pushups on a ball in front of the mirror. I lower my upper body down with my legs straight and ****** goes up in the air and i realize how many ass gainz i've made.

JFC I can park 10 tahoes on it.

Running still sucks but i'm up to 45 minutes (intervals of 15 min run, 1 min walk). Been making decent calf gainz, turns out.

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ah shoulder already feeling better. Got a squat workout too with my arm in a sling. Safety Squat bar with one hand, worked up to 210 for five reps tried to take 230 and ended up getting stapled to the ground, been awhile since I used that bar and not use to it.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shoulder is not feeling better at all, and i'm jumping from being really ******* angry at myself, to simply upset.

Tomorrow is squats, going to try to go through it, see what happens.

rjbman

Reaction score
Manned up and went. Felt fantastic even though I'm already feeling it.

Squat video. Not the best angle but any tips would be appreciated. Feel like I'm a bit more level over the 5 reps but not as smooth as I'd like.

0.jpg

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
squats look good though i'd break a bit more at the hips first.

also, knee issues could could be a bazillion things try foam rolling your it band and your whole lower body generally and see if you feel better. i get weird knee issues if it gets too tight.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

Manned up and went. Felt fantastic even though I'm already feeling it. Squat video. Not the best angle but any tips would be appreciated. Feel like I'm a bit more level over the 5 reps but not as smooth as I'd like.
Looks fine, just squat more until you get better at firing your glutes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads