1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I don't know about that. 9/10 you see excessive spinal compression and people bringing their low back off the bench. Either that or they don't go anywhere near deep enough.
    BSS are a hard movement, but they are easy to learn and relatively self limiting. There really aren't many effective ways to cheat (other than skimping on rom). Personally they are the most taxing movement for me, but also the best for my legs.
    Walking lunges can also be really brutal, and there is some more room for error with them, reverse lunges are probably safer in terms of less likely to do it wrong.
    In terms of machines though a good hack squat machine is fucking awesome.

1 person likes this.
  2. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

+ 1

Stiff leg deadlifts are great for glutes.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Don't forget weighted step ups.

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I never liked them, probably because I'm tall. Benches and boxes are usually an awkward height for me and there's no fluidity like with BSS's.

1 person likes this.
  5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I don't like weighted step ups because I feel like my knees take a pounding when I step down. BGSS fucking kill me.

I dread leg days when I do db lunges, BGSS, and split squats. Need to start doing them more. I'm a huge wuss. I'd rather do an hour straight of front squats than these three for 3x12. I just mentally dread one legged stuff because it hurts so so so much.

6. ridethecliche

Get her to start off with bodyweight lunges and BGSS and add DB's as she goes. It's not rocket science.

I think these are way more effective too.

7. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

High rep walking lunges are a popular accessory movement at our pl gym

8. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Need RHET help. I bulked from 135 to 210 a couple years ago and then cut down to 180 where I have been for 9 or so months. I have no desire to bulk or cut any more, generally happy with the way I look (probably somewhere between GN and TK on aesthetics) and want to continue to fit into my clothing.

I was hoping to stay at 180 and gradually recomp. However, weights really haven't moved up much nor have my aesthetics improved over the last nine months. I am at the gym 4-5 days a week running bench + accessories / lower body / OHP + accessories / lower body etc. What should I be doing to start seeing lifting and (more importantly for me) aesthetic gains?

9. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Increase cals, ensure adequate protein

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Yea increase calories very slowly, like 100kcal/day every 2 weeks

11. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

So I can increase calories gradually and not become fat?

12. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Eat at a small surplus, but most importantly, run a good training program that is built for long term progression.
    Your total volume should go up slowly over time.

13. ridethecliche

Have you been doing the same workouts for 9 months? Try a different rep scheme or exercises, no?

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Workout isnt really important, outside of striking the balance between max volume vs recovery and minimizing injury. Its def the calories. I was in a similar rut... finally decided to go in a surplus and the gains started flowing, but when I got too fat I kept making gains at maintenance until I started my cut this year. So its prob total broscience but in my experience you can make gains at maintenance but u have to be in a surplus for a while first.

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Found a sick deal on an Epaulet suit on grailed and bit. :slayer:

Only problem is I can't tell from the pics if its blue or grey. Oh well, I'll find out when it gets here.

16. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

This.
    Some info on your program and how it has evolved during the time period would be helpful. @Axelman 17

I don't know really.
    It is possible to make good gains at caloric maintenance, without putting on any weight besides the pure muscle mass you gain from the lifting progression. Its def harder, but still doable.
    Just think of how all lifters in the lower weight classes get really strong.

17. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Thanks for all the help. Below is what I have been running, it probably most closely resembles starting strength big but boring.

Day 1 - Bench
    - 3 x 5 paused bench
    - 3 x 15 touch and go bench (at 60% of paused bench lbs)
    - 3 x 15 close grip bench
    - 3 x 15 decline bench
    - 3 x 10 cable pec fly
    - 3 x 12 bicep curl

Day 2 - Deadlift
    - 3 x 5 deadlift
    - 3 x 10 lower weight deadlift (60%)
    - 3 x 15 pull-throughs
    - 3 x 15 lunges
    - 3 x 15 random quad machine

Day 3 - OHP
    - 3 x 15 seated barbell press
    - 3 x 15 lat pull down
    - 3 x 12 upright barbell row
    - 3 x 10 bent over row
    - 3 x 10 pull-ups
    - 3 x 15 tricep pulldown

Day 4 - Deadlift

Rinse/repeat. Over time I have gone more towards the lower weight / higher volume plan above probably most directly because I read here that it was better for developing aesthetics. I have tried over time to tack on more weight to the big lifts but have basically stalled out. For what it is worth, this is my latest progress pic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    2 people like this.
  18. ridethecliche

Oh gosh that sounds miserable. Honestly, i think you could try a higher volume bb split. Your chest day makes me hurt just looking at it. I think I'd be able to do half of that at any semblance of reasonable weight.

That's probably why I'm weak...

Edit: mirin hard

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  19. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Calling it quits with ME grinds for the squat/deadlift. Trying to push to 2.75x BW squat and 3.25x BW deadlift is racking up way too many injuries for nothing. Don't plan on ever competing again so hello, 70-80% RPE 7-8 work.

My bench is still worse than some highschoolers at my gym :(

20. Eason

Eason Senior member

Lowering carbs/calories on my rest days might just be fucking awful enough to get me to workout 7 days a week.

1 person likes this.