1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

He's a fucking hero goddamnit

2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

"don't be a pussy and foam roll before working out (because i can't pronounce these muscles and shit)

but....

walk around with a hip circle before and during workout"

on his tangent, anybody use mobility wod?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  3. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm not yet convinced I need detox tea or a "waist trainer"... Instagram fitness is a massive scam.

But looking at ties, suits and shoes really gives me that urge to splurge. The Scandinavians going strong on dat dere instagram swag time.

4. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

fuck kelly starret

kinda

1 person likes this.
  5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

6. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Lots of possible confounding variables in that study.

7. ridethecliche

So... Do you know the impact factor of nature and what that means for the peer review process?

Ill grab the full pdf at work if anyone wants it.

8. virus646

virus646 Well-Known Member

9. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it were partially causal.

But I think it's pretty clear that any high calorie diet - even one not associated with weight gain - increases the risk of cancer. Energy dense foods aren't good for us. When used for the express purpose of gaining weight (i.e. going on a bulk) then yeah, it does increase the risk. Particularly given the over-prevalence of guys who bulk and never properly cut.

Even if you do cut that period of eating energy dense food and putting on weight and cutting is probably posing an increased risk of some diseases. So does drinking, smoking etc. We all make our own choices. But it is important to have that information out there.

I really don't see why they would lump creatine and protein powder together though. Completely different things.

10. msg

msg Well-Known Member

Surface Pro? Lenovo Carbon?

11. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

I do know the impact of Nature. This article is in the British Journal of Cancer, which is the journal for a cancer charity in the UK. It's published on their behalf by Nature Publishing Group, which presumably has little oversight over the approval process for article publication.

edit: I'm not presuming that the article is wrong, I'm just saying there are potential confounding variables that could be skewing the data. It wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened.

12. ridethecliche

Not sure that debunks it tbh. The fact that you don't know what's in any of them is exactly why the tests are superfluous.

It was significant individuality as well. OR was higher with them lumped.

Also this study design is set up to remove casual associations.

13. virus646

Will you stop taking any supplements with creatine or protein powders in it after reading the article?

14. ridethecliche

That's what i get for reading the abstract on my phone. Fair enough.

Unsure why that's relevant.

15. virus646

Examine's conclusion is:
    The takeaway
    Ultimately, this study does not offer enough evidence for current MBS users to change their supplementing habits at all. However, this kind of study will spark interest in the topic of MBS and testicular cancer, spur more research and hopefully, result in a better questionnaire that can be used to predict relative risk of various cancers.

This study does not provide practical evidence to answer the question, on a personal level, “will this supplement I’m using give me testicular cancer?” It is, however, always a good idea to look up each ingredient in your dietary supplement in Examine.com’s database to see if any provide individual cause for concern. For example, you can see that the body of existing research finds creatine to be safe.

At this moment in time, there is no reason to fear ‘muscle building supplements’ as a group.

I don't think Examine's purpose was to debunk it but rather to advise not to jump too quickly to conclusion.

16. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

This is what I referred to in a previous discussion on how bulking is unhealthy. Think it was a week or two ago.

There are numerous studies showing that fasting and caloric restriction increase lifespan and improve health, but that is not optimal for getting big and strong.

Additionally, many of the dietary choices that create a better "anabolic environment" (milk products, high GI carbs, red meat, saturated fats) negatively affect your health. For instance, going vegetarian is generally better for your health but not gaining muscle. As an example, the national dietary guidelines for meat consumption in Sweden is 200 grams / 0.5 lbs per week. Many lifters surpass that every day.

1 person likes this.
  17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Hendrix mark bell is the biggest shill and the industry. And the fact that your hanging your hat on his opinion is hilarious. I'm not even defending foam rolling, I don't do it anymore myself.

18. ridethecliche

It's not a therapeutic study and examine is acting like that's what it purports to being when it doesn't.

19. Landscape

Landscape Well-Known Member

But national dietary guidelines are usually crap and the one for Sweden is as well. They changed the guidelines for Denmark fairly recently and actual scientists argued how it really wasn't optimal with the low amount protein. Alan Aragon also has a lengthy chapter in Girth Control about national dietary guidelines in the US throughout history concluding that the general population would be healthier if they ate more protein.

20. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I agree, but that example was not about protein, it was about red meat.

Chicken, fish and other "healthier" (in lack of better word, you know what I mean) is not recommended in as low doses.