1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Okay, without going too deep into it, the main issue I have with this argument is, if we are talking about the cause of gaining weight and obesity, what then is the reason for eating more than you expend? What is driving the person to consume superfluous calories and to not exercise? Are we to blame this whole epidemic on a lack of willpower and motivation? Would that explain the prevalence of 6 month old obese babies? That, they too, lack willpower and need to start counting calories?

To put it short, a culture of excess & irresponsibility. Not some simple sugar boogieman. HFCS is available all over the world, and yet the US is the fattest nation. I think pinning that wholly to simple sugars is a bit egregious

I do think that the total amount of calories is an important factor in losing weight, however simply restricting calories on a "balanced" diet is akin to semi-starvation, i.e. it won't produce efficacious results, and usually the weight will come right back on once the diet is abandoned.
    The prob is that people treat weight loss as a crash diet, and not a necessary lifestyle change. Obv if u go back to eating 1500 excess calories a day of fried crap and simple sugars u will yo yo back. That's not the fault of any food, that's on the people.

By lowering total carbohydrate levels, and given the option to eat ad libitum, you will most likely eat as much as you need and remain satiated, while either losing weight, or maintaining. These diets, in comparison to the semi-starvation ones, have been shown to lead to much more effective weight loss.

The excessive fructose and maintenance calories argument could be debated as well.

Simple sugars def don't satiate well, but it's silly to demonize them... like I said 100000000 times, no food out there is bad in moderation

2. APK

APK Senior member

What size tees do you guys wear? I've been a medium for years in most brands. But I think my chest is to a point where most mediums are going to create that undesirable broseph look. This might push me toward the drapier shit, since going up to a large in the average brand is just going to create a boxy potato sack look.

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

What size tees do you guys wear? I've been a medium for years in most brands. But I think my chest is to a point where most mediums are going to create that undesirable broseph look. This might push me toward the drapier shit, since going up to a large in the average brand is just going to create a boxy potato sack look.
    I'm getting by with american apparel size large and stretching out the chest, shoulders, and arm holes before putting it on. cheap and effective. note I'm only 5'11" and the larges are a bit long on me (but that's how I like my tops to be).

4. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Medium. I definitely look brotastic in the older, more shrunken ones, but my newer shirts are okay.

CSB time: I went shopping with my girlfriend and tried on some button down shirts at some definitely not-SF approved stores, and my lats didn't fit in the medium ([​IMG]) and the large was like a sleeping bag.

Anyways, I have the feeling that when my Resting Heart Rate is <55 I have way too much energy and want to tear stuff up. I pulled 315 for 5 for the first time yesterday, and I should take today off... but... Oh well I'll play water polo tonight, that should take care of it

5. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Rick tees: large
    American Apparel: large

Most large tees fit me fine in the upper block but flare out around the waist.

6. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I'm almost perfectly in between a medium and a large. Pretty annoying. I'm mostly mediums though.

7. Cool The Kid

I'm on the lower end of larges

I even have to get button downs in large now (which sucks as I bought a ton of mediums like a year ago)

I anticipate getting bigger though, at least in the shoulders/chest, so large is fine.

8. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

To put it short, a culture of excess & irresponsibility. Not some simple sugar boogieman. HFCS is available all over the world, and yet the US is the fattest nation. I think pinning that wholly to simple sugars is a bit egregious
    On a sociological level, yes, this may very well be a contributing part of the problem. As a culture that encourages and emphasizes excess and enthusiastically extols hedonistic indulgences in food, it makes it that much harder to avoid the vices of overeating, and more importantly, the avoidance of certain foods. However, what I am arguing, is that, regardless of our individual variances, we all share the same biological mechanisms that causes us fatten; even looking at animal models, the hormonal regulation of fat accumulation is constant. So there is something in the Western diet that is triggering this response. With globalization, it is only a matter of time before the world catches up to us.
    Carbohydrates are uniquely fattening. This is a fact. How the individual can effectively implement the changes needed in their diet and lifestyle to avoid these uniquely fattening foods will inevitably vary. As I mentioned, moderation will work for some up to a certain point*, but for others, specifically the morbidly obese, these foods simply do not belong as a part of their diet. My point is that if you are fat, and you don't want to be fat, you don't eat these foods. How you successfully act upon that information is completely subjective. *Fit individuals who have remained relatively lean their whole life employing a moderate diet approach, will often begin seeing a progressive gain in weight upon reaching mid-life. Despite not changing their diet or exercise, they begin to fatten. Is this an inevitable fact of life? No, and it doesn't have to be. I can argue this point more, but as I said, I don't want to hijack the thread (which, admittedly, I'm sort of doing anyway).

9. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

If you eat above your maintenance you'll gain weight, eat below your maintenance you'll lose weight. If you eat lots of protein and work out effectively you'll gain muscle, if you eat lots of shit and don't really work out you'll gain fat.

Ya, that's simple. Until you experience something that isn't one of the above four concepts. Like overtraining or starvation mode or a loss of strength or...

10. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I checked with a few folks closer to Lyle- apparently he did mean 3x's through the cycle, two days in a row, for a total of six cycles.

Yeah- it takes a solid 90 minutes or more depending on your abilities.

CG, I have the UD2.0 book and I went back and looked at it.

Lyle wants this to be PERFORMED twice (not repeated twice).

Quoted:

"My personal preference is to do TWO full body workouts.... I'll pick one exercise per body part and do 3 sets of 12-15 with a 1 minute rest before moving on to the next bodypart. After working through the entire body, I'll rest for a few minutes and do it all over again." (emphasis is mine).

Another quote:

"Sample Depletion Workout:

Monday

Leg Press 3x15
    Leg curl 3x15
    Chest Press 3x15
    Row 3x15
    Lateral Raise 2-3x15
    Calf Raise 3x15
    Biceps Curl: 2x15
    Triceps Pushdown 2x15

Perform Twice"

(Emphasis is mine)

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Thanks Scrum- yeah- that text on page 57 is what I always based it on. Here's where the confusion comes in on the next page (58):

Sample Monday Workout
    Monday
    Leg press: 3X15
    Leg curl: 3X15
    Chest press: 3X15
    Row: 3X15
    Lateral raise: 2-3X15
    Calf raise: 3X15
    Biceps curl: 2X15
    Triceps pushdown:
    Repeat twice

I think it's just semantics but the way that's written means "three times" - Do this, then repeat it twice more"... When it would seem he means "repeat once".

When doing this diet I've always done other sorts of workouts but for a change I am following his suggestions. Three times is pretty silly, especially doing it back to back days.

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Wait a sec- does your version of his book actually say "Sample Depletion Workout:" as you typed?

And "perform twice"

Mine doesn't - Maybe I have an older version.

13. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Wait a sec- does your version of his book actually say "Sample Depletion Workout:" as you typed?

And "perform twice"

Mine doesn't - Maybe I have an older version.

Yep, I typed it in exactly as it say in the book. It was a table with a heading "Sample Depletion Workout" and two columns, one for Monday as I showed and another for Tuesday with a slight variant - incline presses instead of regular bench press, etc. Both columns said "Perform Twice" at the bottom.

I'll check on the edition # when I get home this evening.

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Yup- I bet yours is more current. Mine is first edition/first printing. Your language is much more clear and consistent.

15. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Do you guys know of any good, simple weightlifting log apps for the android phones?

Everything I see seems to be focused on cardio or else way overcomplicated.

I just use a spreadsheet on my BB

I use google docs on my iphone. works like a charm

Oh, and [​IMG] to this goddamn juice debate.

16. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Do you guys know of any good, simple weightlifting log apps for the android phones?

Everything I see seems to be focused on cardio or else way overcomplicated.

I tried various approaches on my phones and gave them up for pen and paper, then I log them when I get home. Doing so on the phone took too long and was tedious between lifts. Also didn't allow me to easily jot down notes like "up it next time", "sore right delt" etc...

I use a Rhodia pad... the cover's indestructible.

17. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

i stopped using an app

instead i use a moleskine

i call it my swoleskine

18. Cool The Kid

I actually have a pretty long log on another site. Started it in April 09, it's about 400 posts deep now

Thinking about just keeping a spreadsheet or something at home now since wifey started. I hope she makes good noob gains for the summer, I actually wouldn't mind moonlighting as a personal trainer and my experience w/her would make for a good segue

19. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

So frustrated with my squat form. Every time I think I'm doing it right something else is fucked up. Help guys. I've dropped weight significantly and it seems just as bad.

Can't seem to get this right to save my fucking life.

20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member