1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

idk where the fuck all of you lift but in the NYC metro area outside of hardcore gyms I very rarely see anybody squat or deadlift more than 2 plates (and i've been living here for almost 5 years now and gone to a variety of gyms).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I don't see many big guys in the NYC area. I don't think NYC-lifestyle lends that well to getting very strong or big.

3 people like this.
  3. GraphicNovelty

That's true. Most of the meatheads around here are B&T. But even then they're not big power-lifters.

Anyway, i've been playing with my sous vide. It's GOAT for meat.

[​IMG]

Thick cut pork chops. 2 hours at 140*. Gf wanted to try an old bay spice rub but it didn't really stand up to searing. Meat was delicious though!

4. accordion

accordion Senior member

another vague squat question that's probably useless without video but, I realized I never come up on my heels and always on the balls of my feet, on bad reps I come up on my toes. I'm pretty sure it's because of having long femurs proportional to my body, but I don't see how it's possible for long legged people to come up on heels. I squat high bar and I look forward, never up, though looking up might help.

5. milosh

milosh Senior member

Are you wearing squat shoes? I'm in the same boat re: long femurs and It helps.

Hard to explain but you need to keep your torso more upright and you do that by feeling the weight over your heels and moving the hips "in".

6. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Old bay on pork chops is bomb

7. accordion

accordion Senior member

I wear sneakers with firm and flat soles. Don't weightlifting shoes just pad the heel? Does that actually fix the problem?

8. milosh

milosh Senior member

Makes you more stable in the bottom position and you're less likely to raise your heels.

9. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

except in gay culture.

10. GraphicNovelty

Even the buff gay guys aren't squatting 3 plates.

11. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

im not posting gay dude pictures in here but I have a bunch of gay fb friends who post pictures of their giant boyfriends, like 300 lb jacked gay dudes.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

no

maybe

13. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Doing it right, homey. Zero contact. Move on with your life.

2 people like this.
  14. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Your technique and/or mobility is just bad.

I'm 6'3 and I can squat ATG. Fuji is the same length and he can squat ATG as well IIRC.
    Personal anecdotes aside, consider standing wider and improving your ankle flexibility and hip mobility.

15. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

First thing I would do is go barefoot and try different foot and bar placements. Assuming your body isn't a complete mess you should be able to find something where it feels natural and in sync. Box squats also worth a look.

16. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Wifey has slightly pronated feet and and resultant knee valgus on her squats

I do know her foot angle isn't right and her gym shoes suck, but any other ideas?

17. accordion

accordion Senior member

I do ATG but still come up on the balls of my feet

18. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Weak glutes. Can't use hips.
    Try teaching her to externally rotate the hips before she even starts the descent.

19. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

OK cool. I have some ideas.

Also why has my bench completely fallen asleep in this cut while everything else is OK? I'm almost to the point where I wanna not waste time with BB bench for a while.

20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

On the mend from a stomach virus or food poisioning. Feeling better. Already had in two days; chinese food, boston market, wendys, chik fil a, tijuana flats, and slam dunking it with a blooming onion and a shitty steak from outback (had a gift card). I see it as rebuilding my rock solid stomach and getting back some of the 7lbs of weight i lost in two days.