1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Basically it is built on the following principles:
    - Train often (5x a week for me)
    - Hit each lift every session (aside from one session with no deadlifts)
    - Many variations of the powerlifts. From what I know, this is done to keep progressing, not develop overuse injuries when training so frequently, and since some variations target specific muscles more than others. For instance if you cave forward in a low bar competition squat, I would use more front squats and high bar squats as variations to get quad strength to rise straight up from the hole.
    - Generally high volume (more the farther out from training) but with many sets of low reps rather than few reps of high sets in the powerlifts.
    - Almost never to failure. Squats, benches and deadlifts are done most in sets of 2-4 reps, with occasional 5's, with somewhere between 2-4 reps left every set. Heavier in meet prep.
    - The few lifts that are done to failure are often isolation (such as leg extensions) or hypertrophy-oriented versions of the compounds (such as squats with blood flow restricted legs for sets of 20). The sets to failure come every once in a while (say every 4th week) to sort of "shock" the body. May be more often further out from a meet,
    - The few accessory movements (that are not variations of squat, bench, or deadlift) are always rather light and higher reps (3-5 sets of 6-12) and used sparingly. For instance I only do 3 rowing movements per week, but maybe 6 different deadlifts. Abs, low back and hips/glutes are part of warm up every session.
    - Weights are generally light, or at least lighter than in many other powerlifting programs. This is because the frequency is much higher than the standard and since the total volume over a given time period is also higher.

2. conceptionist

It is not a bad program and it will work (as will anything that is consistent and somewhat sound).
    It is just very simple, and imo is built on some principles that I don't think are the best.
    - Frequency is too low. Just about every natural lifter gets better results with at least 2-3x frequency per lift and muscle group per week than once after they have adapted to it.
    - Too much focus on accessory work and bodybuilding movements for those who want to get strong in the compounds.
    - Too light generally, and when it gets heavy it is max reps, which is done rather frequently. Near failure training usually leads to worse technique and unnecessary psych-up and injury risk in training. A single all out max rep set is not needed for strength not size, but it is one of the cornerstones of his program. It is better imo to do more sets of lower reps to reach the same total reps at the same weight.

TL;DR.
    It is not bad. There are just better programs out there.

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I am just trying to think how to apply these principles to a purely aesthetic/hypertrophy focused program. I'm not sure it's possible to have something like a 5-7 day full body bodybuilding split, but if it is it would yield max gains. Lot of respectable folks talking about the Bulgarian method and other shit. I'm feeling like if I spread my regular bulking volume out evenly over the week on a daily basis I may be OK.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

My training schedule is total shit right now and will probably not get better till I return from london on the 3rd. Yolo!

Hoping to get 2-3 sessions in over the weekend at home... since the cut/recomp has been going super well. Only ended up working out monday this week. Oy.

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

It's a sad, inverse relationship. The more aesthetic you get in your workout clothes, the less so in regular clothing.

2 people like this.
  6. Eason

Eason Senior member

[​IMG]

Strong

10 people like this.
  7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

We've only gone into contract for one house and that was the house we ended up buying. But we've put in quite a few offers. Bro, IMO, 6-7 houses are nearly not enough for you to make a decision. But I've read the inventory is quite low for the past few seasons. So, there are far less choices out there. I was going through all the fliers after going to contract, I had to throw out a few fat stacks of them. We went with 4 agents and looked at least 100 houses within a 2 year period. When we were buying, it was crazy! It was a seller's market all day. We end up beating out an all cash offer because we know people who know other people. Good look, bro! This is prolly the biggest decision of your lives! [​IMG]

The only reason I'm trying it out is because the program is simple and easy to understand. I even found a few calculators for it. I'm only following the program for deadlifts. I'm doing the Boring But Big with 5 extra working sets set up around 60-80% of 1RM. I'm gonna give it a go for a few cycles to see how much gains I can make.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Is there any reason i have to do a movement like seated db military? Ie can i hit the muscles enough doing bench work and maybe going way lighter?

My back is still acting up a little and i think think is one movement i could stand to go a bit easy on. Just trying to figure out what else i can realistically do.

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Had this conversation with my mother yesterday.

H: You should avoid getting any bigger, as you don't look like someone working in your field (property development).
    M: So...., what you are saying is, that I don't look like a potbellied, balding man, twice my age, thanks.
    H: :plain:

2 people like this.
  10. conceptionist

Oh, I misunderstand what info you wanted.
    Each session start with 2-3 sets of abs, 2-3 sets of low bak and sometimes 2-3 sets for glutes/hips or rear delts.
    Each session has 1 or 2 slots for a squat, bench or deadlift variation. These movements are done in that order.
    After squatting, benching and deadlifting, there's usually 2-3 pure bodybuilding accessory movements for 3-5 sets of 6-12 reps.

I think the program can be targeted towards general hypertrophy if you just change out the powerlift variations in the slots to more hypertrophy-oriented lifts.

I would start with 4x a week, doing 1-2 squat variation per session, 1-2 pressing variations, and 1-2 deadlift/lat movements per session + abs, arms and whatever else accessories you need.

To give an example for a more hypertrophy oriented version:

Squats:
    slot 1 = high bar squats (heavy),
    slot 2 = front squats (for reps),
    slot 3 = pause squats (many sets of low reps),
    slot 4 = tempo squats (few reps) (3sec up, 3 sec down, no pause b/w reps),

Presses:
    slot 1 = Bench press (heavy),
    slot 2 = incline bench press (for reps),
    slot 3 = DB presses (high volume, high reps and many sets)
    slot 4 = military press (for volume)

Lats and deadlifts:
    slot 1 = conventional deadlifts (heavy),
    slot 2 = romanian deadlifts (for reps),
    slot 3 = pull ups (for volume),
    slot 4 = horisontal/vertical lat row (for volume)

Quick sample routine:

Day 1:
    abs, low back, glutes
    Squat slot 1
    Press slot 2
    Lat/dead slot 3
    Lunges
    Flyes
    Biceps

Day 2:
    abs, low back, rear delts
    Squat slot 2
    Press slot 3
    Lat/dead slot 4
    Hamstring curls
    Cable rows
    Triceps

Day 3:
    abs, low back, glutes
    Squat slot 3
    Press slot 4
    Lat/dead slot 1
    Incline db press
    Shrugs superset DB shoulder raise
    Biceps

Day 4:
    abs, low back, rear delts
    Squat slot 4
    Press slot 1
    Lat/dead slot 2
    Leg extensions
    V-bar rows
    Triceps

Of course, you'll have to expertiment with the variations and accessories so you find a good combination for each session.
    It is key though that when you bench heavy, you squat lighter, and when one is for high reps, the other is lowish reps. That's why I didn't put every slot 1 in the same day, for instance.

Bulgarian method is best for weightlifting. It involves daily maxing and general work above 90% of 1RM. That super high intensity and frequency works well in weightlifting since the weights are lower and the lifts have no negative phase (which is more demanding for recovery than the lifts' positive phase).

1 person likes this.
  11. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I can't stand instagram posts that about how motivated people are. If you need to prove to everyone you are motivating and you are on #nextlevelshit you may want to slow down with the 1200 word essay about your motivation because you just wasted a half an hour picking out a motivating image and writing an essay and figuring out 100 hashtags. Fuck people.

2 people like this.
  12. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

what if its just one word; MOTIVATED, in all caps, some really douchey font?

13. Cool The Kid

Yea I figured I would focus on one lift each day to go heavy on and then just sprinkle the rest in accordingly. I want to keep the sessions short so I'm thinking of maybe doing a 6 day push pull split. But I think if I keep daily volume low I can hit everything daily. I know which variations of movements I like so I'm building the gym/workout around those.

14. conceptionist

The fundamental idea of the program is that it is not a split. You train each lift (and muscle group) every session. From my experience, and everyone else on the same program (+ every other powerlifter and weightlifter that train with high frequency), you don't need to devote a whole session to a muscle or lift. "Less and often" has worked better for me than "more and less often". I've got stronger faster and increased in size faster than when I did a split.

I mean, there's tons of BB splits for training every day. My program is basically the opposite of a split.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  15. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Only cool if it's in wingdings

16. Cool The Kid

It's a real mind fuck to switch to thinking that way but when the time comes I will give that a shot. Big challenge will be managing volume and not getting greedy with progression. Do you really go 7 days a week with no breaks? That just seems very intense and counterintuitive.

17. conceptionist

I admit it really helps to have a coach who manage all the programming for me. He's extremely knowledgable on training philosophies so I just fully trust his programs. I would be more reluctant to this kind of training if I managed itself, precisely because of the reasons you mention - that you easily become greedy with the volume and progression. Easier to train yourself into the ground with this approch so its important that you are able to hold back every session.

I do 5 days a week. Usually mon-wed and fri-sat.

18. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Fuck this.
    I've been looking for some more ways to add athletic type movements to my training, a friend sent this to me. Tried it, Now obliterated.
    I've always thought I had good core strength in terms of static strength, anti-rotational and resistance type movements. But putting this much rotation and movement into it makes me acutely aware I need a ton of work.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Cool The Kid

Ah yea I was pretty much on a 5 day 3 upper/2 lower split before. Probably better to go back to that then as I know how to manage that well already.

20. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Got addicted to the newest misc virus, being to use Fling to troll people and try to score nudes. Unbelievable how whole hours out of ones day can just disappear. On the positive side I have optimized my selfie technique on how to highlight my poverty abs.