Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I guess you could do it like this if you have 15 feet of open space behind you lol
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

2. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

How would you even dump it in front unless you were doing front squats?

3. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

I guess you could do it like this if you have 15 feet of open space behind you lol
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

How would you even dump it in front unless you were doing front squats?
    See video above. That's actually the video I was thinking of when I wrote about dumping it in front. mrchariybrown, do you think that it's okay just to set it on the pins? Or should I drop it? I worry that the gym might get mad.

4. APK

APK Senior member

As someone who has gotten stuck in the hole (pause) a couple of times over the years, but always tried to set the bar on the pins instead of just dropping it, I've concluded I would rather drop the bar and risk a scolding from the off-season football player who oversees the weight room.

Setting the bar on the pins may spare everyone the sudden thud a dropped barbell would produce, but it also seems like a recipe for disaster. I felt lucky not to suffer a shoulder or rotator cuff injury the handful of times I got stuck and tried to set the bar on the pins before bailing out.

5. mrchariybrown

you can just set it on the pins if you can do it safely

drop it otherwise. let the gym get mad at you. better than getting hurt.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

drop it otherwise. let the gym get mad at you. better than getting hurt.
    +100000. Think about it this way - if you hurt yourself trying not to make noise, do you think the gym will give a shit about YOU?

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ok meat heads, I've got a particular conundrum (that's problem for those of you who've had one too many bar's dropped on your heads). I need to gain strength without gaining muscle. If I get any bigger I'm going to be unable to wear a jacket. Shit, I spend a TON on tailoring as it is, and I already look like I'm wearing women's blouses. So, any suggestions on a plan? My current weight room predicament aside, which I hope to be rectifying shortly.

8. mrchariybrown

just get your diet in check so you don't gain any weight. can't really guarantee you won't get any bigger in size, but it will be easier to keep it in check if you have your diet made out so that you aren't gaining weight.

I've been doing the same thing for the past three months and it's been working out marvelously. only about 3 pounds gained in the past 3 months.. I've gotten bigger because I've put on some muscle and dropped some bodyfat%, but that's sometimes inevitable when gaining strength.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

just get your diet in check so you don't gain any weight. can't really guarantee you won't get any bigger in size, but it will be easier to keep it in check if you have your diet made out so that you aren't gaining weight. I've been doing the same thing for the past three months and it's been working out marvelously. only about 3 pounds gained in the past 3 months.. I've gotten bigger because I've put on some muscle and dropped some bodyfat%, but that's sometimes inevitable when gaining strength.
    See, that was my first thought, but then I went back and realized that my diet isn't all that specialized at the moment. When I don't workout, I don't get fat or gain weight. I just can't seem to workout without gaining size. But without the current levels of protein that I'm eating, I'll have trouble maintaining my current size, which is something that I'm trying to do.

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Strength and hypertrophy kinda go hand in hand, but I think it's definitely possible to get stronger while not necessarily putting on the pounds. Just off the top of my head I'd say you'd do well to target basic lifts and focus on explosiveness. Think heavy doubles and singles. Oh yeah, staying close to maintenance calories will definitely help as well.

Other than that, I really don' have the experience to say.

11. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Rambo, eat at maintenance and keep your reps low. 5 or less. Strength gains without hypertrophy take time, since it is largely a CNS adaptation.

I am doing the same thing, since most of my goals are BW related.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

Man, all you guys lifting injury free... enjoy it. I'm so fucking jealous. I'm going on 3 weeks out of the gym now and I'm going fucking bananas. I'm thinking of all the times I bitched out of workouts, not really pushing myself, and all I want to do is deadlift some shit, hard.

Fuck shoulder injuries. You don't really notice how much you can't do when you gimp a trap/delt. At least with a gimp leg you can still bro out and do all kinds of upper body stuff, but its hard to do anything outside of a leg press right now.

Its funny how much lifting/exercise affects you. One week out of the gym, and my energy levels were crap, irritability levels were high, I was really aggressive and much angrier than usual. Not like I was raging on people, but I never really noticed I relied on lifting to keep me "normal" and in my happy place. I can really see how there's a correlation between people who don't exercise and how they complain about low energy levels, moderate depression, etc. and everything I mentioned before.

13. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Ok meat heads, I've got a particular conundrum (that's problem for those of you who've had one too many bar's dropped on your heads). I need to gain strength without gaining muscle. If I get any bigger I'm going to be unable to wear a jacket. Shit, I spend a TON on tailoring as it is, and I already look like I'm wearing women's blouses. So, any suggestions on a plan? My current weight room predicament aside, which I hope to be rectifying shortly.
    Here are my goals which are largely contingent on me not gaining too much muscle, but rather gaining strength faster than muscle. I am largely eating at maintenance and sticking to relatively low reps (5 or below). We'll see how things go over the course of the year. I am currently 136lbs, ~10% BF, 44 years old. 2011 Goals: 142 lbs at sub 10% BF (that's about 7 lbs of muscle... we'll see) 15 strict dead hang pullups (currently at around 12) 5 strict dead hang pullups with +45lbs 75 strict pushups (currently at around 50) 3 standing ab rollouts (currently a wobbly 1) DB Bench Press 3 reps @ 1.3X BW Squat 1.5X BW 3 dips with +100lbs Run 4 miles under 28 min Run 6 miles under 45 min

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

But by the time you're ready to put in work you're wiped (at least I am)

I do a descending pyramid.... one warm up set, big lift, wind down. But for squats I might need a little more. My knee's been acting up for the past couple of days though

A couple of things- Broser's written about this wisely. Warm-ups sets should not be fatiguing you- they should be getting blood flow going, loosening you up and getting you focused. This is especially important for the big lifts.

Most people think that warm-up sets should be the same number of (or more) reps as working sets. For example- you work bench reps at 3x10 @ 225. So you warm up with 10 at 135, 10 at 175, 10 at 200... that's too much.

Instead of 30-40 warm up reps, think maybe 15-20... in our bench example, literally try just the bar or maybe 95 x 10. then 135 x 5, 175 x 3, 200 x1-2... keep the reps slow and deep... working in your stretches etc.

I follow something similar for squats but tend to keep at it until I feel good to go- and if needed I then rest an extra couple of minutes.

The other thing: cardio... walk those legs for 10 minutes if you are not not. I hate this part/bores me but it makes a real difference. on leg days I always warm up on the treadmill and then some stretching. Perhaps you are doing this now- if not: [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I do 15 minutes on the treadmill at increasingly higher intensities and then two working circuits of 5lb and 10lb's each at 15-20 reps. Rarely, I'll throw in another working warmup circuit, but not normally. No stretching as static stretching has been shown to be detrimental to gains.