1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

try earning 160k being an academic.. damn, people with PhDs are fucked. even tenured faculty salaries here are super crap. ULRM to the max

2. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

tryna submit? Some of them are such morons man.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

If your not absolutely shit, do well at law school and actually apply for jobs you'll get one. LSE is ranked 2 for law in the UK, never seen anyone who wasn't socially off or not driven to do 40 applications not get a top job.
    wtf is top 20-30 is that like university of Iowa or some shit.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. Dar FTW

Dar FTW Senior member

as a matter of fact iowa is 27 according to this
    http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...e-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings/page+2

2 people like this.
  5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Well these guys aren't morons, but are asking too much.

The revisions are fine, but they want me to do an entirely new analysis which could be a paper on its own and actually has been in the past. I can kind of understand why they're doing it but mostly it's along the lines of 'oh this would be cool to see'. I'm going to have to try to put it ask together today or I'm going to be asking for another extension, which i guess isn't the worst thing...

Ive done other revisions before, but this one requires an entire new phase of data collection and is a bit over the top. This is cancer related though, so i guess the game is slightly different...

6. Eason

Eason Senior member

Little bit off topic here but has anyone successfully used paused squats to build strength and stability in the hole? What % of your 1RM did you use?

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Paused squats are a great tool. I use them all the time. If I am feeling good I will just make the last rep of a working set paused. Thats my self-check for honesty. If I can't pause rep the weight on the last rep it's too heavy or my lifting capacity is shit.

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

paused squats seem like they all the rage. Greg uses them a ton, so they must work pretty good.

9. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

This is how you get situations where people making $250,000 think they're poor and that Obama is taking all their money. Eating out and buying random crap can easily suck up all your disposable income, even if you have a huge salary. If you want to save, make a budget to see where all your money is going, and then decide if those expenditures are actually worth it for what you get.

As an example, if you eat out twice a week for dinner at cheap places (let's say $30/meal) and get lunch at a cafe every workday ($10), that's almost $6000 on eating out every year. I personally don't give a shit about dining out, so I cut that to $60/month on meals out and bring my lunch every day. On the other hand, even though gym memberships and my apartment are relatively expensive, I keep paying for those because they're worth it to me.

I managed to save enough for extended travel, probably for a year or two (leaving Sunday) without giving up much that I actually missed.

1 person likes this.
  10. ridethecliche

Gregg?

[​IMG]

Totally agree re: budgeting.

I know I could be saving a bunch more if I cooked more, but I'm trying to pay dues at my job and get as much out of it as possible. If I spend an hour extra at work a week, I get overtime pay. Just that covers my meals and wash and fold laundry most weeks. It's something I could definitely do without, but work has kicked my ass. I'm also saving about the equivalent of a paycheck a month-ish. And I have a little side business going with the thrifting stuff that covers my clothing expenses. It's a colossal waste of time if you don't enjoy it though, so it's a bit like a hobby for me. If I put that time into my job I'd probably make more but also be totally insane.
    What do you do for work?

Also, what field for publication? I've got 2 already, 2 submitted and waiting for journal to get back to us, and this one fucker I'm trying to kick out. If I can have 5-6 things accepted by the time I leave this job, I'll be ecstatic. 4 months left.

I'm really hoping to enjoy some of that time though. I hope I can :/

11. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Making your own food is really the maneuver. Especially when you go super-frugal. E.g. buying whole chickens, butchering them yourself and using the extra parts for stock.

Cooking is my new hobby in lieu of being able to be really active and frankly, I'm probably breaking even given the cost of dining out. Especially when you think of money spent on cooking gadgets + good ingredients + cookbooks as incremental over the cost of what i'd be spending if i was just eating anyway (which is exceptionally difficult to do if you're trying to eat mostly vegetables and lean proteins). I just made carnitas out of a pork shoulder and i paired it with a brown rice pilaf. Together the mean was probably $3, but to get the same nutrition (and probably less delicious) i'd probably have to spend $10.

If you're willing to eat kind of boring food life gets even easier. Chicken and rice casserole in a crockpot takes 10 minutes to put together in the beginning of the day, costs very little.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I eat out like once a week and that's on Sunday when I get a pizza.

13. ridethecliche

I think I'll get less lazy about this when I go home in March and grab my crockpot. I don't want to have to buy another one, though it probably would have paid for itself already. I'm going to try to see how little I can spend between april-june when I leave my job. I really need to be saving since I want to travel this summer and I'm going to have

My schedule is honestly total shit. Part of it is procrastination based, but a lot of it is just how insane this year has been with med apps and work and gym shit. Honestly..., I've been running on fumes since like august...The only thing keeping me going is the paycheck and the thought of having to do slightly less research in med school to get into a competitive residency (if that's what I end up interested in and scoring high enough on boards etc).

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

There's nothing wrong with having 2 crockpots. I'm considering a second: meat in one, grains+veg in another.

Just make sure you get liners to avoid having to clean.

Just got a bonus. Time to get that sous vide.

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

When I made $50k I hardly saved any money, I could barely support myself and my drinking habit, I don't know how you fuckers survive. I worked with a dude that made about that much and he had like four kids and a wife that stayed at home, I asked him how the fuck he survives and he basically doesn't do anything except work and sit at home for free, sounds like a miserable existence.

I'm pissed because I'm looking at getting out of school with like $200k in debt and even if I make $200k I'm gonna be living like a fucking poor person for a year or two to pay the shit off, even if I'm working my fucking ass off.

Hopefully I can get a job starting $200k-300k though that'd be solid.

Also, bench is up to 235. Added 35lbs on it since the beginning of December, solid progress.

16. ridethecliche

Maybe... What's the liner? That's a good call though. This stuff will pay dividends in med school too I guess.

I save a bit on less than 50k. I lucked out with housing situation and eat dinner for free most nights of the week so my only meals are breakfast (shake) and lunch where I have to spend money.

17. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

TBH I did save up enough money to pay for an admissions consultant, and my b-school apps, and my plane trips to visit the damn schools. That was probably where all my savings went.

18. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Re academic bragging
    I have around 10 papers published, most as first author (just got one accepted in a really good journal yesterday). Psych/cognitive neuroscience

Most of my lifts suck though.

2 people like this.
  19. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

$200k in debt - is that really common in the US? Makes me kinda happy to get paid for studying. Of course it won't be at some top 10 university, but I should still get a starting salary close to $100k.

20. Dar FTW

Dar FTW Senior member

i'm assuming you're single and in your early 20's. if you were married and thinking about a family, retirement savings/investments, a home, student or business loans, you would look at 250k differently. that would be a very comfortable income, but doesn't make most people rich.