1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. msg

msg Senior member

speaking as someone who has an engineering job at a large tech firm, these figures probably don't include bonus or stock, it's just salary. Total compensation is higher. Also, there's a significant salary difference between top tier and startup. That said, finance usually does pay more, especially at the higher levels.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Exception to the rule. In the US there are so many people with law degrees you are lucky to be making 60k out of law school.

I have a friend who owns an exotic car rental and concierge service and is a millionaire. That doesn't mean everybody who owns a limo company makes bank.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If you're not going to a top 20-30 law school, the degree isn't worth it for the most part. People going to HYS law schools don't have trouble getting those jobs.

4. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

That's not my experience and i know people who have gone to Ivy League law schools and ended up working for DAs and public defenders for years before they got into anything great.

5. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

6. Eason

Eason Senior member

Strong :cool:

7. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Starting green smoothies again. Just finished one, it was nice.

I did this a while back and lost a lot of weight really fast, and I wasn't even trying to lose weight. Im starting them back up because I've been bulking and have gained too much fat, and I've also been eating poorly. This is what I have so far:

-Banana
    -Celery
    -Apple
    -Lemon
    -Carrot
    -Lots of spinach

I take it easy on the sugary stuff. The lemon and celery go a long way to make it not taste like grass. More people should try green smoothies, especially the fat ones.

8. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Finally hit a paused 275 bench. Got a 475 squat and 510 deadlift too.

4 people like this.
  9. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Lol green smoothies. Jfc.

10. Eason

Eason Senior member

My brother graduated from Cornell with a JD and had to take a job with the IRS in order to absolve his 6-figure debt. He has to work for them for 10 years.

11. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Exactly, it's not like you get your JD and people throw money at your face.

12. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I wanted to be paid to cut people and help develop devices

13. ridethecliche

That's hopefully where I'm headed.

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I want to do data science/BI but reading fuji's posts makes me feel nowhere near quant enough

Engineering is boring/dead end though. Wifey makes more than me as a graphic designer.

15. Eason

Eason Senior member

I'm gonna turn fuji into a ladyboy. :foo:

1 person likes this.
  16. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I hate you guys. First it's about lifting and I feel inferior because I can only lift small weights, a fork or a glass of rum... then it's about rice cookers and I feel inferior because I have no rice cooker... now it's about those jobs again and I feel inferior because I can't see 160k in my career path...

I studied Information Systems / Business Informatics and got into an industrial company which has a portfolio of software / saas based Added Value offerings around their core products. From there I quickly moved over in direction of product marketing and then strategic/tactical marketing for the whole portfolio. I feel like the main skills involved are being convincing in meetings, micro-management of idiots and being good at playing company politics. Lately I feel like drowning myself in my tea cup.

On top of that, I make six figure income but manage to save fuck all. The fact that I pay 40k+ of taxes anualy and then also like to spend as much time as possible in warmer countries doesn't help.

Sometimes I really wonder how people manage to bring so much money to the side without going to 0 life quality... or in the other direction, how to make much more money.

1 person likes this.
  17. ridethecliche

Im drowning in this revision for a manuscript. Like seriously drowning and i Fucking hate it.

I want to see if we can justify not doing some of the things the reviewer is asking us to do but i have no idea if it's going to fly. Going to ask my boss tomorrow...

I have a date weds evening and i want to get sleep tomorrow night. I wish my old coworker was still around cause i could use some help on this.

First time I'm legit hating research. I want to say Fuck it all but a first author paper will help a lot...

1 person likes this.
  18. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Peer review is the worst. Best case it's someone who doesn't have the right background and asks for dumb revisions. Worst case is its a rival looking to screw you.

19. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

in my specific subfield I'd rank UCL above all these other plebs

20. Eason

Eason Senior member

Solution: Live in a nice warmer country with great quality of life. You don't earn as much, but you can save more. I've never been happier than since I moved to Bangkok, and I've lived in Portland, Seattle, Seoul, Beijing, and Hong Kong. I earn a 2/3rds what I earned in Hong Kong BUT I work basically 28 hours a week and have 3 months scheduled vacation a year. No amount of money beats that.

Also, working on my first academic publication this year. Anyone else here publish?