Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

ECA stack isn't all that frankly. It never did much for me other than make me feel like a gerbil on crack. I get better results adjusting the diet more finely.

I didn't imply that, just wondering about my reaction or lack of it.

2. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

I found Yohimbine HCL (YCA) worked better for me than an ECA stack, except I bought the powder, measured it out rather than the caps...

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I think if you are trying to achieve slower fat loss and muscle gain, you'd probably keep fat levels pretty moderate and leave carbs in the 50-100g range. Extremely high protein, low fat, and low carb sounds more like a rapid fat loss plan.

I have the PDF of Lyle Mcdonald's book on RFL, if anyone is interested.

My energy dies so much and my appetite spikes when I cut carbs extremely. Maybe I need time to adapt, but IDK.

Are his books worth buying? I generally download everything but I feel bad stealing his books knowing he knows his shit and sells them to put food on his table.

I've been doing a recomp diet for about five or six weeks, so I'll say that this: it's not for a lot of people. If you can't adhere to the under maintenance/over maintenance arrangement, then just try cutting or bulking. Patience is also vital here. You won't see quick results like with a cut or a mass since you're not losing fat or gaining muscle every day.

I will probably just do something in the middle of a recomp and a cut. Net cut in calories with carb cycling to keep me up on lifting days.

4. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I have the PDF of Lyle Mcdonald's book on RFL, if anyone is interested.

Don't want to get all preachy here, but don't do it. This isn't some multi-billion dollar Hollywood company you will be bilking, but a working stiff like you and me. Not right.

Are his books worth buying? I generally download everything but I feel bad stealing his books knowing he knows his shit and sells them to put food on his table.

ABSOLUTELY. Lyle knows his stuff like few others. He, along with Alan Aragon and a handful of others, are the only ones worth listening to in this area. Absolutely worth the money.

I have all his books - RFL, UD2.0, The Protein Book and Stubborn Fat Loss. Great reads.

5. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

Just seems like a low volume/high intensity approach, which can work depending on what you want. But I don't see what advantage this would have over a regular rep scheme- unless you're cutting.

That's exactly what it is, high intensity/low volume. Since it's just assistance work why not hit it with one max rep set and be done with it? Kind of a DC mentality, you've got one set so make it count and give it all you've got. IDK, I think I'll try it out and see what happens.

6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I don't know everyone else has been doing.. but I've been eating at/a little above maintenance calories with about 150-175g carbs daily (1000+ on fridays) and it's been a get recomp so far.

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

^+1. I eat slightly at/above maintenence and I gain muscle/burn fat at a slow but fairly steady place.

8. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Don't want to get all preachy here, but don't do it. This isn't some multi-billion dollar Hollywood company you will be bilking, but a working stiff like you and me. Not right.
    I don't know. If it were a real book in a real store, I would take 5 to peak inside and make sure it was something I am in to. It would also have an editor and a company agreeing to publish it and in some way vouch for its content. I suggest the same preview for ebooks in an effort to hold them accountable for their content. The only ebook I have purchased is Wendler531 and that is because I use the program. Ironically enough, he doesn't care if people share the ebook. I have read that dude's insane diet books and was completely unable to buy into the hype so I did not buy, but I will consider buying if I reach my strength goals and want to do something particular with my physique.

9. APK

APK Senior member

I don't know everyone else has been doing.. but I've been eating at/a little above maintenance calories with about 150-175g carbs daily (1000+ on fridays) and it's been a get recomp so far.

This goes to show you how wildly the results of these methods fluctuate depending on the person. I'm a natural endomorph, so I seem to put on fat if I am even a bit above maintenance most days and eating that many carbs.

I generally don't break 125g carbs on lifting days and keep it below 30-40g on non-lifting days. All bets are off one or two days a week. Part of this is just because my body doesn't handle most carbs well at all. I get bloated, gassy, backed up, etc. I love a lot of grains, but the aftermath isn't worth it.

I've got a lot of spare time these days, so I've been tinkering with my activity levels. It's only a couple of weeks in, but I've been doing a lot of fasted LISS in the morning or early afternoon. A mix of the treadmill on an incline, stationary bike and elliptical for 45 minutes on lifting days and about an hour on non-lifting days. Nothing intense at all; comparable to a brisk walk outside. If it's a lifting day, I'll do this earlier in the day and then come back to lift at night. Too early to tell, but it seems to be helping already.

Today's my cheat day, but I'm keeping the bad food limited to after I lift later. I'm filling in the rest of the day with clean calories. I wolfed down five almond flour pancakes about an hour ago. [​IMG]

10. APK

APK Senior member

Just got off the toilet. Definitely need to increase my fiber intake. FFFUUU..............

This is just me, but adequate water consumption seems to help the cause a lot more than fiber count. Whenever things get slow in that regard, it's almost always because I've been drinking so little water.

11. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

I drink about 1.5 gallons a day. I think I wasn't eating enough vegs. Yesterday I ate 2 1-pound turkey sandwiches plus 2 pounds a tilapia. 10 stalks of asparagus. I want to eat more fruits, but don't want the sugars that come with them.

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I didn't imply that, just wondering about my reaction or lack of it.

Gotcha- shoulda said, just about everybody becomes immune to, well, less-effected by stims over time. Some even end up down-regulated. So yeah- you're certainly not unusual.

i trust you are going on/off and haven't been using it "for ages"?

13. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I don't know. If it were a real book in a real store, I would take 5 to peak inside and make sure it was something I am in to. It would also have an editor and a company agreeing to publish it and in some way vouch for its content. I suggest the same preview for ebooks in an effort to hold them accountable for their content.

The only ebook I have purchased is Wendler531 and that is because I use the program. Ironically enough, he doesn't care if people share the ebook.

I have read that dude's insane diet books and was completely unable to buy into the hype so I did not buy, but I will consider buying if I reach my strength goals and want to do something particular with my physique.

Yea I'm definitely hesitant just for that reason alone. If I buy a book and it blows, I will punch a hole through my computer monitor. Those shits are expensive.

I think if I hit a wall in my cut I will try the books out. But hopefully I have a solid enough plan now to not need them.

14. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Missing a box jump and banging your shin on the edge of the box might be the most painful thing ever. I've been stabbed by a screwdriver, burned by 800C metal, deep cut by shards of glass, road rash peeling off sheets of skin, woke up during surgery when anaesthesia started to wear off.... but banging my shin on the box jump is the only thing that has ever caused me to pass out due to pain.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

i trust you are going on/off and haven't been using it "for ages"?

Just disposing of whats left to "aid" in cutting, although the effects may be negligible at best.