1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

The most common problem for people who insist on going ATG is that their back looks like a banana.
    I've yet to see anyone who is not a weightlifter go down to a full ATG squat with a straight back and vertical bar path. Most people end up with a ton of butt wink and shifts their balance to the toes in the bottom with the bar path moving forward as a result.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Interesting. Ill post a video of my form soon. Need to have someone take a vid. Maybe tonight!

3. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

This is how I felt with BB press. I feel like I've put on a ton of shoulder size in the past ~2 months since upping the volume of accessory lifts I've been doing and switching to an 8-rep scheme on the bb press

Reverse-grip decline press seems like a good way to off yourself

1 person likes this.
  4. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

sometimes you have to risk death for bigger pecs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I saw that I had like 50+ new posts in this thread... figured either someone dropped some sick progress pics, fuji regaled us (where you at dawg) or it devolved into a bitchfest rerun

So much for being an optimist :confused:

Can disc problems manifest themselves as pain in muscles on the side? I did SLDLs yesterday for the first time in months and my back feels sore in a different way than the DOMS in my hamstrings. And my back has been semi-weird since I got back from Mexico in mid January

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  6. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Brodin doesn't give without taking

Yeah. My disc issue felt like muscle pain. Be careful, maybe get it checked out?

7. ridethecliche

Disc issues are usually localized to that area of the back or referred pain to the gluts/legs. This is for lumbar discs.

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

My pain usually feels like erector DOMS or strains. Could be referred though. Has been bothering me on and off for months and definitely drove me sidelining deadlift stuff. I guess I can get it checked out.

9. ridethecliche

Ugh. Having a bit of an exacerbation slash flare up from last night's session. Felt good this morning so I guess sitting for a long time is annoying it too. Def going to go lighter next time and work up slowwwly at 3x10 esque stuff. I guess DL's aren't going to be an all out thing for me. Duh.

Maybe keep doing 3x10 @225 just as a form thing and to make sure I'm not neglecting posterior chain stuff. Probably best case scenario just to do them at the beginning of the workout and go harder on other stuffs. Sigh, you think I'd be used to be being hypercautious when feeling good.

10. accordion

accordion Senior member

This has probably been asked before, and is a dumb question, but, do you guys ever not wanna bulk, or lift harder, cuz you wanna fit into a certain sizing of clothes?

11. Eason

Eason Senior member

Never fit into anything anyway without lots of tailoring anyway so no.

Anybody ever get a feeling like their hip is kind popped out? Happened after doing front squats with a more narrow stance a couple days ago.

Not dislocated but it seems a bit aggravated around the femoral tuberosity. I squatted yesterday no problem but while moving around it feels uncomfortable and I'm waiting for it to snap back in or sth. .

12. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

The broscience is strong in this one

13. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I used to get this pain all the time before I started using the hip adductor/abductor machine (AKA pussy strengthener).

Dunno if you have one at your gym but you could probably fashion one out of bands or something. strengthen the groin and the outer glutes or whatever pulls the hips out.

14. Eason

Eason Senior member

Right, paracetamol it is. I should note that basically any time I do a relative narrow stance squat, I get this pain.

15. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Walking sideways with a band around your leg & lateral leg raises with a band will work the adductors (?); side planks while keeping the lower foot raised and certain types of lunges will work the abductors. 50/50 chance I have ab/ad reversed, but just google around for exercises. There are a ton of PT-type movements for these since they're a common point of injury.

16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Black bands from Perform Better are my choice...

[​IMG]

And a question. Have those of you dissing ART and Grastin ever had enough a muscle tightness/knot to actually need it? Those both worked wonders for me when I was training for ultra-distance triathlons (swimming up to 10 miles per week, along with running up to 50 miles and riding up to 300). The guy I go to is an experienced iron-distance triathlete and really know his stuff.

17. ridethecliche

18. ridethecliche

I honestly don't know enough to comment about that stuff. I do know that the body has tremendous capacity to heal and that medicine doesn't quite understand how everything works.

19. Eason

Eason Senior member

Looks not bad but it seems like you're going to fall forward. Do you feel like that, or do you feel like you're in danger of falling backwards? Chucks are not the shoes for front squats, you should get oly shoes if you're going to do them seriously because otherwise you have to do a wide stance which will deemphasize the quads, which is the whole point of the FS.

20. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Your form looks fairly ok, but there is some minor lower lumbar flexion going on with a few of the reps there. I'm sure it will only get worse as the weight increases

Im sure the bro brigade will soon arrive to tell you to just shut up and lift dont overthink it blahblahblah

But honestly why would someone with your medical and surgical history risk doing squats? What's your goal? If I were you, my goal would be to be happy, successful in my career and free of long term pain and disability. Doing squats does not advance those causes at all.

ymmv