1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

When I did cardio I did it right at the start of the session. I never had any problems completing the work I had planned for the session, and that was usually stationary bike or cardio before squats/bench and deads. Even if I didn't notice any real performance difference, I would rather chose lower weights than risk worse protein synthesis.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Even if it's a statistically significant difference (let's say it's 1% of your gains, or something), I'd bet that the other advantages of doing cardio will outweigh it. If it's just a difference of before or after, then sure, run before, but if it's a difference of cardio or no cardio for a tiny percentage gain in strength, it seems pretty dumb to skip the run, to me. Especially if you're not nearing your biological limit for the lift.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah.

I could always do something like row -> Chest/shoulders or stairs/stationary bike -> chest/back/shoulders/arms

Just try to avoid the part worked out. I'd like to do a little running on the treadmill as well.

I understand what you're saying, but you're being reductive. Why even take whey, creatine, etc etc etc.

The point is that timing for workouts, meals, etc matters and this stuff is relatively easy to change to get a better effect. Even if it's 2%, it's a pretty 'free' difference and I have no issue going for it. Doing one before the other doesn't matter that much to me 2 of 5-6 workouts a week.

4. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

You're misunderstanding what I said. I agree that doing one before the other is "free" and if it makes a difference, you should go ahead and do it. I said that not running at all because it might marginally affect your gains is stupid.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

How to not get killed while biking to work? I love to bike but the amount of distracted drivers out there have completely made me stop.

I just bmx on the grass now.

6. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

You can't. Pretty much while I will never ride a motorcylce and why I also stopped cycling places around the city; not enough of the safety is your own hands, it simply doesn't matter how safe you are, the danger is completely dependent on other people which is something I just can't handle.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Agreed. Like our parents were decent drivers. Our generation though is so damn distracted. I see people swerving into bike lanes all the time because they are on their phones or fucking with their stereos. What I like about this area though is they have trails that wind through the whole city, but eventually there's parts that are on main roads.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

[​IMG]

Going to miss these days on monday when term starts and the gym is full of dyels and my beloved texas power bar is being used to half squat 30kg with the pussy pad on it.

145kgx2 front squat. Nice pr after 10 days off lifting and pretty much eating.

9. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Dont ride anywhere where car traffic is legit doing more than 10 MPH more than you. I rode in NYC for years, only problem I had was going over the handlebars after hitting a pothole.

Riding in NC pretty much seems DOA. I just bought an indoor trainer and ride that.
    Thats not true. If you pay attn you can usually see the distracted idiots long before they are a problem. Only real big danger is folks turning in front of you. Bikes fare worse in accidents but are able to better avoid them in the first place.

10. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Been working on ring dips for a few weeks at the gym and got my first honest one today. Feeling much more tight and solid on them, compared with where I was a few weeks ago.

11. OccultaVexillum

It is true. Yeah, you can take measures to reduce the risk but in the end, If a car isn't paying attention/doesn't see you, or you don't see a distracted driver and they hit you, then you're fucked.
    I just don't see it being worth the risk.
    If a car hits my car, there's a pretty good chance i'll be fine, if you're on a bike then you could get hit by a Prius and still be fucked.

12. Cool The Kid

You are harder to hit though, especially if you are a competent/defensive rider. I know people who have ridden for decades without accidents. I have had accidents but they were because of my own stupidity and even they weren't that bad.

And the upsides are pretty numerous. Riding is just plain fun and probably a big part of why I'm not bummed about selling my sports car. Theres a reason we call them cages :)

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Oh, I guess it depends on your goals in that case.

(I think like you do though on this!)

1 person likes this.
  14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

What negative effects does alcohol have on muscle growth, other than the lack of quality sleep one may get from a night out?

Was iffy on going out tonight and my decision to stay in was tipped over by the fact that I got an amazing workout yesterday. I don't want to ruin potential gainz from boozing too hard :embar:

15. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Alcohol raises estrogen levels in men

Alcohol will stop protein synthesis. Only resumes after liver metabolizes all the ethanol.

All alcohol is really high in carbs, and it's all empty calories.

Bottom line, is that booze really has no place in fitness/bodybuilding/strength training etc

16. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Im not read up the research, but this article http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html claim " The negative effects of alcohol on testosterone and recovery has been grossly exaggerated by the fitness mainstream. Excluding very high acute alcohol consumption, or prolonged and daily consumption, the effect is non-significant and unlikely to affect muscle gains or training adaptations negatively.

* The effect of alcohol on muscle protein synthesis is unknown in normal human subjects. It is not unlikely to assume that a negative effect exists, but it is very unlikely that it is of such a profound magnitude that some people would have you believe."

Made me feel better about drinking beer..

edit: although you should only drink dry wine, eat protein and veggies to prevent getting fat. Most boring thing ive heard.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. Cool The Kid

Drinking excessively makes me feel like shit the day after. That and I had a DUI scare last month. Pretty much ruined my dad's life too. More than enough to keep me in check

Headed to Mexico, delirious from low sleep and all I can think about is losing my gains. Guzzling a shake now before we head to the airport :confused:

18. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

They don't have gyms in hotels?

19. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This. Alternatively, bodyweight exercises. Have fun!

20. OccultaVexillum

Anybody wanna buy Rogue rack from me?
    This one: http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-r-3-power-rack

With a multi-grip chin up attachment (and maybe a dip attachment, depending on whether or not it will fit on my new one)

Must be able to come and pick it up from Central NY (or spend a shit ton on shipping).