1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Senior member

depends on what rep ranges you train in usually I reckon. I could do 225 x 9 at one point but still my 1rm was about 265.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

For me, lateral raises with my palms facing back/thumbs facing the body are good. The way I see it, the head of the shoulder opposite the ground is the one bearing the brunt of the load, and turning the hands inward takes the front head out of it. Im a fat fuck now but when my shoulders are pumped they still have detail and I credit that exercise. I'm seriously contemplating just doing lateral raises and nothing else for shoulders.

1RMing is good for PLing but I have found that my bench has increased more steadily staying at or above the 6 rep range, for whatever that's worth. I hit 3x9x215 and 3x6x230 last week... if not for this cut I could probably hit 3x9x225 and 3x6x250 or so by spring. Anything above like 80% "1RM" just kills me. YMMV

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  3. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I get zero pump from military presses of any variation and it sucks. I still do seated DB presses now and then but the best thing I've found for my delts is heavy partials on side raises supersetted with full rom raises, and STR presses which I guess you could say is a form of military.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't mean this in a bad way but what do you actually learn in an MBA? Is the syllabus actually useful or is it basically just for recruitment? I've always imagined it's a bunch of accounting econ financial analysis and some data analysis skills, which you could probably teach yourself. Online descriptions talk a lot about modern portfolio theory, corporate finance and accounting, which doesn't seem to justify $200k

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I have a single pair of dior jeans that are falling apart (plus another pair that don't fit that I'm selling), and no SLP clothing besides a pair of sunglasses. I actually haven't bought any clothing besides a coat in like, 6 months. Anyway, assuming you have 3-4 slices of bacon per morning at whole foods prices, that's $10 every 3 days so you'd be able to buy the dior jeans I have for sale in 2 months with your bacon money [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. concealed

concealed Senior member

from everyone I have talked to who has gone to top institutions, it has nothing to do with what you learn, its for networking/recruiting/resume building. the most valuable thing is the people you meet and then leveraging them further on in your career.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Paid attention doing shoulders today and yeah... Lateral raises with cables are okay, but DB's feel better and hit it better. Also, I got a gnarly pump in my lateral delts from doing facepulls. Go figure...

8. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Decided to do dumbbell squats and lunges on leg days. Gonna see how things go with these work outs.

Just did 2 sets of 60 lbs. DB squats with no back pain whatsoever!

@ridethecliche how do you like the hex bar deadlift? Any pain on your back or nothing at all? I might cop a hex bar. Walmart sells one for a hundo, I think. You guys think it's a good investment?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  9. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

My girlfriend just asked me if i was on gear [​IMG]

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Mostly this.

11. ridethecliche

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. ridethecliche

I'd be sure to buy a bar that's not totally shitty, but I like hex bar stuff. I don't really go heavy with it. Still doing 145-165 for 5x5 or 3x10. Might bump the weight up to 185, but I'll stay there a while. It's more of a light compound movement than a huge muscle builder for me.

It doesn't bother me, but I can't speak for you.

I also added in bulgarian split squats, lunges, and quad extension+hamstring curl sets.

I think I just revamped my program a bit to hit everything 2x a week. I'm going to post it later today to get some feedback.

13. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

The classes will be helpful to me because I don't have an accounting/finance background. But most people don't go for the classes, though it can be a factor if, say, you want to learn from a famous lecturer or something. The best part about bschool is all the other stuff they offer, like the clubs, the unique programs, the speakers, etc. Also yes you're going to put their name on your resume and buy a network.

14. barrelntrigger

15. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

16. barrelntrigger

I bought my full rack last year from a local guy who is moving and needed to get rid of his home gym. It's one of those made in USA from the 80's or 90's. It has been working fine. There were 2 previous owners. It's been holding up fine. I'm going to hold off on buying a hex bar until I do more research.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  17. ridethecliche

That thing looks fine if you're looking to use it for accessories. I'd grab it if I were building a home gym, but I can't do regular bar stuff so...It's great for doing shrugs too.

18. barrelntrigger

I was thinking about using it for lifting lightly for now. But I would like to put 4 plates on both sides eventually.

19. ridethecliche

I mean, that's under the weight limit for it by over 200 lbs so I wouldn't sweat it. 405 is just a little more than half the stated capacity. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

20. barrelntrigger

[​IMG]

I'm glad there are deadlfitish work outs for those of us who are nursing a back injury. Thanks for sharing!