1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

SBD heavy 1m wrist wraps are ridiculous, makes my titan THPs feel like nothing.

1 person likes this.
  2. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

You ROM looks very big. You want to minimize the range of motion as much as possible.

First and foremost, pinch your shoulders back and down. That will take of several inches of the movement.
    Then, work on increasing your arch. Here's a step by step setup guide:

[​IMG]

If you don't already take a full width grip, slowly widen your grip until you do so. That also shortens the ROM.

Lastly, you want to have the bar touch lower on your chest, towards the upper abs, where you arch is at its highest point. This will also force you to tuck your elbows more and get more tricep involvement.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

maybe ill film my dumb highbar squat today.

No doubt big arch in bench helps leverage more weight, but I wouldn't advise for the general public or people lifting just to get jocked. Most people can't get into that much back extension then get their hips back to neutral after.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

basically this.

the dumbass stand is just in the way so I for one can't see with my myopic eyes whether there's too much flexion. sometimes the lumbar tucks under a bit even with professional lifters. skeen is right in that if you start to buckle the solution to that is staying more upright. that ofc requires nice mobility from the ankles.. for some it helps to open up the stance a bit, maybe point toes outwards A BIT.

a bit as in not that donald duck type of stance.

3 people like this.
  5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I think that bit of arch is excessive. But even for Bro McBiceps theres value in retracting the shoulder blades, which is much easier to do with a tight + arched back. You also get to move more weight without legit cutting ROM which is good for hypertrophy

1 person likes this.
  6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah, my shoulder bothers me a lot less after BB bench if I arch. I'm going to keep doing it now that I've been taught.

8. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Looks like I'm accepted at NYU Stern. Still applying to Columbia. Rejected everywhere else. Apparently I'm NYC bound.

Bench went up 10 lbs in a week. Finally seeing progress. :slayer:

5 people like this.
  9. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I have to question this advice for anyone who isn't a powerlifter. The purpose of having a huge back arch is purely to put up higher numbers by shortening the ROM of the lift so that you don't have to bring the bar down as low, right? So if you're not just trying to put up numbers and just want to get stronger, you'll want the larger range of motion, I'd think.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

instead of buying a new bench why didn't you put some plates on the floor? Arching a little does make getting your shoulders down easier.

1 person likes this.
  11. conceptionist

Well, yes.
    My post was in response to jabster who is a competing powerlifter.

There no need to have a huge arch for anyone who is not a powerlifter.

A small arch will however put pressure on the traps/rear deltoid area so they are kept in place during the movement. No matter what your goal is, you want to have a stable phase to press from (unless the lift is some form of variation of the bench press that includes instability).

12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I don't use anything near as much of an arch as powerlifters but a reasonable arch helps keep my shoulders happy and actually helps to have a solid platform from which to push.

The other minor benefit is that it increases your chances of consistency in hitting the same setup each time, which helps in terms of linear gains.

1 person likes this.
  13. conceptionist

Personally, I find that a higher bench helps me keep a higher arch, since it allows me to put my feet further back (closer to the bar) and makes for a flatter angle between the torso and the femurs.

14. ridethecliche

Yup. Bench went up 20 lbs with nothing more than this. The weight feels so much more stable now as well. Chest still gets a big whallop. Pretty sure being able to bench more evens out the lower ROM in terms of activation.

When I want to blast my pecs, I do DB bench.

15. barrelntrigger

You don't understand, bro. The height of my current bench is all the way to the middle of my thigh. By putting plates on the floor, doesn't that raises the height even more?

16. barrelntrigger

Well, my bench is so high that when I use a natural arch, the ball of my feet barely touches the floor therefore, my leg drive is almost next to none even when I try to tuck them in further. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  17. fuji

fuji Senior member

Put plates on the floor and then put your feet on the plates.

3 people like this.
  18. barrelntrigger

OH! Make sense! I'll try that!

19. ridethecliche

20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

my dumb dyel highbar squat. dunno, use to suck at it beltless. 265 x 5.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]