1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

IIRC the world record for DL in the 190 pounds range is 875. Not sure about squat and bench though. If my elbow doesn't bother me too much, I am going to shoot for 405 bench by summer.

Prada, I know you're a good build. But are you juicin, man? 405 lbs on the bench? 4 plates?

Can you post a recent picture of yourself? (n/h)

2. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

'tis why I added the IIRC component, the mechanism behind looking better after drinking/going a bit overboard on cals is on the sites I mentioned.

I just wanted to clarify. No harm intentions.

3. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Prada, I know you're a good build. But are you juicin, man? 405 lbs on the bench? 4 plates? Can you post a recent picture of yourself? (n/h)
    No juice. I wish I had money to juice. There is a waywt pic of me from last summer in a sleeveless shirt. I was a bit slimmer then. I am at 325 now on bench.

4. APK

APK Senior member

First food of the day was half of a cake. Now I'm fiending for a burger.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

6. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

half a cake?

mmmmmmmm!

[​IMG]

alas, cupcake dawg is cutting

7. APK

APK Senior member

So my brother is visiting and he's a natural ecto, but he's been doing a bit of weight training to complement the running he does. He's currently stuck in the "no one needs all that protein" mindset, saying he probably gets 75-100 grams of protein (maybe) a day. But he's got a frame that is going to look absurd if he ever wises the fuck up and starts eating. He's got thicker traps than I do and he's never done a deadlift in his life. [​IMG]

8. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

http://www.topfatlosstrainer.com/200...apid-fat-loss/ no references, but some helpful insight
    I understand the biological mechanisms behind a "cheat day", but personally I feel the whole concept can be counterproductive to those trying, not only to lose weight, but live a life conducive to optimal health. I see no great benefit in periodically gorging yourself on foods that are ultimately detrimental to your overall constitution and well being, just in the effort to burn through a plateau. To me, it undermines the whole concept of living a healthy life, which I assume, at least for me, is the goal. Adopting a plan that allows you to consume sensible vices every now and then, e.g. dark chocolate, fruits, occasional desserts, will keep you feeling great and energetic and allow you to lose whatever extra weight you need through proper diet and an active lifestyle. I mean, this is purely my opinion, and I suppose I am just looking at the bigger picture of health here, but how does one feel after a day of binging on 10,000+ calories?

9. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

... Wait so he gets a running average of 70-120 g/protein a day?

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

... Wait so he gets a running average of 70-120 g/protein a day?

Fucking lulz

11. APK

APK Senior member

Probably closer to 75 actually, because "that's what the running magazines said to have." He seems to be maintaining decently from whatever he's eating, but he's voiced a desire to add visible muscle. That's going to require more protein. He's so lean, though, that even even a few pounds of muscle are going to make him looked jacked.

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

See, I totally get that some (most?) studies say all you need is 1.2g/kg for endurance and 1.6g/kg for power athletes, but why not take in more if that's what most strength coaches get results with? It has the same energy content as carbs do, even if it is harder to use.

13. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I haven't been making too much progress on SS, though I think this is largely becaus eI'm not sleeping, eating enough. I've mostly remedied those situations but now I kind of want to switch to SPBR.

I think it might help psychologically to do a "full recharge" sort of thing. Is this dumb? Should I stick to SS now that I'm eating enough?

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

15. Nouveau Pauvre

Where are your lifts at?
    Embarrassingly low right now. I knew my calories were a little low but just found out my gym scale was about 8 lbs too heavy so I actually managed to lose 8 lbs or so on SS when I thought I was re-comping.....[​IMG]

16. GraphicNovelty

Just keep pushing weight. Maybe a partial GOMAD.

Do you have a cafeteria in your school?

17. Nouveau Pauvre

Just keep pushing weight. Maybe a partial GOMAD. Do you have a cafeteria in your school?
    I live off campus and walk to a local Superfresh. I eat super clean during the week and then basically have two cheat days on the weekend. I just didn't realize how low my caloric intake was until I started using Fitday and saw an accurate scale. I'm pretty fucking poor these days and need to get some bulk quinoa to round out my diet. Also I need to start usign whey on non weight days I think. On the plus side, while my strength has been slow to increase I've shed a whole lot of body fat and people keep telling me how strong I look now. which is a little frustrating but you know how non workout people associate low bf with strength....

18. GraphicNovelty

Are you doing SS as it's written? Because you should be gaining lots of strength simply by increasing the weight each workout.

You don't even need to run it for that long. I ran it until I was repping 225 and then switched to a hypertrophy routine and beefed up on that.

19. Nouveau Pauvre

I think I must have started SS at too high weight for me because I just wasn't able to keep adding weights. I was also coming from a misspent youth as a vegetarian and runner so basically all the incorecct factors to put on muscle mass. Also terrible form and a pretty unheallthy lifestyle. The last sixth months have been a sea cheange as I'm now eating clean, much more protein and drinking less.

At this point I think I'm gonna take a couple days off and just focus on diet and then drop down maybe 20 lbs for my workout Monday.

20. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I was also coming from a misspent youth as a vegetarian and runner so basically all the incorecct factors to put on muscle mass. Also terrible form and a pretty unheallthy lifestyle. The last sixth months have been a sea cheange as I'm now eating clean, much more protein and drinking less.

At this point I think I'm gonna take a couple days off and just focus on diet and then drop down maybe 20 lbs for my workout Monday.

Being vegetarian has nothing to do with it. I am vegetarian from birth and I hold my own with most people in bodyweight-normalized benchmarks. I think you pretty much hit upon the real reasons in the rest of your post.

Anyway, every starts off weak. Just take it step by step, get enough calories and you'll do fine.