1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Each meal is a little under $5, but that's with 12oz of organic boneless chicken, a serving of veggies, beans, etc etc. Better than $10 for a Bojangles combo of deep fried shit.

1 person likes this.
  2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Chosen my modules for the year. I only have 1 hard module which is a time series module I have to do, but I have chosen the easiest modules for everything else. Won't have to go to classes at all this year.

History of mathematics in economics and finance, sounds easy as fuck and involves no maths
    Aspects of market research, which isn't even real stats its just bull shit with computers.
    Corporate finance, which is just glamorized accounting
    Management accounting, which isn't even legit accounting.

Come at me graduating with a stats degree having done no stats.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  3. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

My meals are awfully basic compared to CTK's but I'd estimate my cost at <$3/meal.

Tonight I cooked up 3lbs ground beef ($12), 16oz box spaghetti ($1), and two pasta sauces ($2). That makes six meals with 8oz meat and 55g carbs from spaghetti, all for a total of $15.

Chicken and cilantro rice is another staple. Sure it is boring but I do not tire of it as long as I rotate my bulk cookings. That's even cheaper since chicken can be had on sale for $2/pound.

4. msg

msg Senior member

I've known corporate finance to trip people up - depending on where you're in school, it might not be the pushover you expect.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If I cook, I don't make pasta. I end up making fish/chicken/steak/pork on a pan and cooking peppers/squash/zucchini/whatever. I guess I eat rice/pasta more if I eat out, which is why it's often the same price for me to cook at home. I think I spend like 7-8 bucks per meal if I cook for myself at home. Atleast. I've demolished a pound of steak and half a pound of veggies in a meal before, easy. I'll cook three pork chops and look at the third one funny before putting it away.

Haha. Guess I should make more 'enriched' grains/pasta that has protein in it.

6. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Can't we all? My wallet comes into play at some point though.

Using carbs for your home meals will easily cut down on costs since they are pennies on the dollar. Where the hell do you get your carbs from if you do not cook rice or pasta? You a potato and bread fiend?

7. ridethecliche

Veggies.

(Slash ben and jerrys)

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Nah finance is easy as fuck. I'm used to taking maths modules in like real analysis and actuarial science modules, option pricing and payout policy is easy in comparison.

1 person likes this.
  9. accordion

accordion Senior member

I've pretty much only eaten quinoa and oatmeal for carbs for the past 3 months, it's torture and I cheat a lot but I stay away from all refined grains.

10. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Oats, rice farina (rice grits), Ezekiel bread, jasmine rice with black beans, sweet potato. This have been my staple carbs for years and they are all ridiculously simple to prep. Oh, and I've started having protein bagels 2-3 times a week (P28, think its a local company).
    All my meats are cooked in the crock pot unless it's a ground/minced meat. Seriously I can Cook a weeks worth of meals with about 15 mins of actual effort. When I cook I aim to portion out 60g protein/45g carbs.

11. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

My lunch meal methods/recipes are a little tedious but relatively constant:

- Rinse (if necessary) and cook rice
    - Hit chicken with a dry rub and fry
    - Chop onions + garlic and fry in chicken oil
    - Shred chicken and throw in skillet with onions + garlic with whatever sauce ingredients I need, add some water, let chicken/sauce concoction simmer and reduce.

Last night I think I got through everything in an hour and a half.

I think next week I will try Jamaican curry chicken. This week I did Jamaican brown stewed chicken.

Cant wait till we have a nice big kitchen and a standalone freezer. Might do all my cooking for a month over a weekend if the shit will keep

12. ridethecliche

I need to bring up my crock pot. My housemates are both vegetarian so I feel bad using some of their stuff. I'm not allowed to use their grill, which blows. I wanted to make burgers this summer soooo bad and all they did was grill veggies. Grilled veggies are awesome, but....

And somehow, I end up starting to see this girl who turns out to be vegan. BLARGH.

13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Trying out the warrior diet today. Gonna have a shake for lunch and nothing else.

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

eat real food you butthole

1 person likes this.
  15. GraphicNovelty

i mean it's actually so I eat more real food. Shake will be fruit + leafy greens + whey (which isn't actually real food but still)

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Aight, I should probably read it before I bash it. :slayer:

17. Espi1971

Espi1971 Member

Only way I approach the gym is 100% or nothing. I like looking ripped and lean versus feeling satiated.

Eat less and do 45 minutes 5-6 days per week on the treadmill, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Pay attention to the number of calories burned each time you're on the treadmill. Aim for 300-400 calories burned. Don't stop till you get at least 300. If your diet and calories are dialed in and you're running the treadmill, you'll start losing weight immediately.

In addition hit the weights 3-4 times per week.

Fist sized good clean sources of protein 5-6 meals per day.
    Carbs in the first 3-4 meals only.
    Fat in the first three meals only.
    Eat as many veggies as you want. Greens like broccoli and spinach. Green beans. Tomatoes.
    Fruit after workouts only. Limit it greatly.

I personally don't think you have to count calories. It's not that complicated. But in too many cases guys just aren't open minded or willing enough to eat properly. I tend to think that guys train hard enough, but it's the diet part that's usually out of whack.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  18. GraphicNovelty

I mean it's a 20/4 fast but you're allowed to eat fruit + light dairy during the day. Basically it's a fancy way of saying i'm skipping breakfast and having a shake for lunch.

19. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I don't know how to cook chicken without it tasting shit, without using butter or oil. I just put up with it. How are you guys cooking your BSCB's?

20. ridethecliche

What's wrong with butter or oil?

I get more out of chicken if I marinade it overnight. Also, if you cook it wrapped in wax paper or whatever, it retains moisture. Apparently cooking with stuff in foil is bad now?