Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Nothing uglier than a hunched over bencher with no symmetry.

2. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

Does squatting and ending it at like 80 degrees actually do anything?

A lot of people do it at my gym and it looks pretty half assed.

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I used to do like half squats cos i didn't know any better. Went down to about knees parallel with ground. Compared to full squats, i find it works the ass much more (with a much higher weight). Since i've been doing full squats, i feel it much more evenly through my thighs and ass.

4. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

oh yeah full squats ftw. I used to do parralel too back in high school because that way I could lift more weight.

5. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Started CKD. Sardines are going to take some time to get used to. I don't look forward to the exhaustion that comes with it, but hopefully the ecct will help with that.

6. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

what's ckt and ecct?

7. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

CKD = cyclical ketogenic diet. Basically restricting carbs to weekends, and having only protein/fat during weekdays.

Dunno what ecct means.

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

i have a feeling it's something to do with creatine.

9. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Now I'm blanking on it. Ephedrine, caffeine and I think CKD calls for green tea extract?

I had no idea that a simple two week break from working out would leave me with DOMS when I got back to it. I am really surprised as I rarely experienced muscle soreness over the past 10 months. I deloaded 10%, too.

10. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Post work out - 1 lb greek yogurt loosely mixed with raspberry sherbet. I'm buzzing hard!

11. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

what's ckt and ecct?

Ephedrine, carnitine, caffeine, tyrosine. The tyrosine works somehow to make a 12.5mg ephedrine work better than the full 25 at appetite suppression. I just toss the carnitine in there for shits and grins.

Incidentally, I didn't need it today- felt great.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I don't get people who think working out should be "fun" or "light" - I mean a workout should be heavy, tedious work. Big poundage on heavy, basic lifts that afterwards leave you feeling like a fucking bus hit you straight on.

Maybe that's just my inner masochist speaking, but that's how I feel. I mean ffs, get to the gym, take care of business and then gtfo - it's not that hard really. Take ahhnold for example (yeah I know, cliched), the man just went to the gym, got on with his sets and reps and then got out - worked for him, no?

But instead all I see are these skinny beginners just chit-chatting around the power rack, once and a while doing some isolation movement with barely any weight at all and then resuming their analysis of Italian Vogue or whatever the fuck. If that's how they roll, then why bother coming to the gym at all?

Sorry bros, just had to vent.

13. Kas

Kas Senior member

I don't get people who think working out should be "fun" or "light" - I mean a workout should be heavy, tedious work. Big poundage on heavy, basic lifts that afterwards leave you feeling like a fucking bus hit you straight on.

Maybe that's just my inner masochist speaking, but that's how I feel. I mean ffs, get to the gym, take care of business and then gtfo - it's not that hard really. Take ahhnold for example (yeah I know, cliched), the man just went to the gym, got on with his sets and reps and then got out - worked for him, no?

But instead all I see are these skinny beginners just chit-chatting around the power rack, once and a while doing some isolation movement with barely any weight at all and then resuming their analysis of Italian Vogue or whatever the fuck. If that's how they roll, then why bother coming to the gym at all?

Sorry bros, just had to vent.

Let me tell you a secret. Home-gym.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

That's a negative Ghost rider, as my current gym is free to me (campus gym)

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Some random thoughts.....

3 months of weight training and I'm seeing significant results strength and mass wise while maintaining my weight at 157 pounds on average. I guess eating well and counting calories has something to do with that.

It's getting nice out so now I can get back to hiking all over everywhere. My nice six mile hike yesterday along a rocky shoreline was great. Need to do more of that with about 30 or 40 pounds of stuff in my back pack. Treadmills suck, trails are fun.

Aikido is an interesting martial art. It's good to have a friend who's a 5th degree black belt who doesn't mind teaching one on one privately. I never new the human body could be twisted around into so many strange painful positions not to mention going airborne and landing on my head isn't much fun either. It's all good though since it works on flexibility and balance.

Kenjutsu and Iaido are much more fun. I really like these arts much more than Aikido. Then again I do have a fondness for sharp pointy things and knowing how to use them well.

I really need to find my ropes and climbing gear. with a little luck and some ingenuity I should be able to set something up so I can practice up using ascenders and self belay techniques.

I don't see any reason why I will not succeed in completing my planned 5.12 technical climb next year. I'll have the strength, endurance, flexibility and proper mindset to do so.