1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Distinguished Member

Tonight was the first time I've needed to wait for a bench to open up. It's usually crowded when I go, but I hadn't run into any waits until tonight. I'm not sure what was going on today, but it seemed like someone was constantly waiting for me to finish up wherever I was in the weight room.

The cramped quarters, however, forced me to let this one dude work in with me on some incline barbell bench presses. I often consider my trips to the gym as my "me" time, but I often wonder what it'd be like to have a training partner. Pros? Cons?

I prefer doing it by myself. You'll end up chatting more than working out if you go with a friend.

2. Prada_Ferragamo

Even though today wasn't my cheat day, I am going to buy some ice cream since I feel like shit.

3. APK

APK Distinguished Member

I prefer doing it by myself. You'll end up chatting more than working out if you go with a friend.

That's what I'm afraid of. Hell, I'm intentionally anti-social at the gym because I don't want to be one of those guys who knows everyone and has to do the stop-and-chat over and over.

4. Prada_Ferragamo

That's what I'm afraid of. Hell, I'm intentionally anti-social at the gym because I don't want to be one of those guys who knows everyone and has to do the stop-and-chat over and over.

That's why I got my trust Shures. No body bothers me which also makes you unapproachable.

5. embowafa

embowafa Distinguished Member

+1 to the loner workout. In-ear headphones and some hand gestures go a long way.

6. Carlton45

Carlton45 New Member

hi guys,,,
    I can't clearly have an understanding of your question.Yes is the most important thing for the health,It mobilizes the whole body and keeps a person active for the rest of the part of the day.

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Distinguished Member

When I first started lifting I had a whole 'crew' and basically a private gym (college gym, 3 majors offered were art, architecture & engineer). It was great. Made great progress

Once I got out of college though I pretty much kept to myself. A little small talk is cool, but when I'm in a rhythm I gotta keep moving.

---------------------------------

Was it here where someone posted the musings of an Australian cycling coach on training methods?

8. Grayland

Grayland Distinguished Member

WTF is up with the partial range of motion pull-ups? I saw three guys do pull-ups while I worked out. None of them had more than a 3-inch range of motion. What is the purpopse of that? Is it a bodybuilding "pump" mentality thing?

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

hi guys,,,
    I can't clearly have an understanding of your question.Yes is the most important thing for the health,It mobilizes the whole body and keeps a person active for the rest of the part of the day.

[​IMG]

10. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Distinguished Member

Thanks, guys! I thought I was possibly not having enough undereating meals, but it appears that I am doing fine. I've definitely been seeing results in my clothes and on the scale, I am cutting weight nice and slow about 1.5-2lbs a week, it's been almost a solid month since I've started and I am almost down 8lbs. I've also noticed a gain in strength as well, I am slowly hitting bigger numbers each week, if only I had the schedule of a student, I'd probably get even better results!

11. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Distinguished Member

WTF is up with the partial range of motion pull-ups? I saw three guys do pull-ups while I worked out. None of them had more than a 3-inch range of motion. What is the purpopse of that? Is it a bodybuilding "pump" mentality thing?

Yeah, I hear you. Total waste of time. Can't imagine what they are thinking, other than a "look, I too can do 10 pullups, never mind I only move up and down a couple of inches" mentality.

Another mistake people do is to subscribe to the mistaken belief that excessively wide grip pullups are somehow better for the lats. The reduced ROM with a super wide grip is worse than placing the hands at a sane slightly wider than shoulder width grip and focusing on full ROM.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

If one can't do a single proper pull-up, I totally understand why one would want to do negative pull-ups (jump to the top, lower slowly) and such. As for the 3" ROM pump stuff, that's beyond me.

Some days I wish I looked like Dave Tate or some other powerlifter... case-in-point: today some skinny-fat dude was complaining loudly in the locker room about how he can't squat or dead b/c of his "injured" lower back and how those movements are very dangerous to your back. I almost had a mind on me to say:

"Maybe YOU just don't know how to fucking squat"

But I restrained myself.

13. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Distinguished Member

If one can't do a single proper pull-up, I totally understand why one would want to do negative pull-ups (jump to the top, lower slowly) and such. As for the 3" ROM pump stuff, that's beyond me.

Some days I wish I looked like Dave Tate or some other powerlifter... case-in-point: today some skinny-fat dude was complaining loudly in the locker room about how he can't squat or dead b/c of his "injured" lower back and how those movements are very dangerous to your back. I almost had a mind on me to say:

"Maybe YOU just don't know how to fucking squat"

But I restrained myself.

That you for making me laugh and choking on my coffee! I have no more knee pain or back pain since I started doing squats and deads again, people are fucking retarded...

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Distinguished Member

Diet's been out the window for five days... [​IMG]

15. zohahunt

zohahunt Member

I have question about the weight loss. I have tried many things like exercise and tablets but didn't work out. So, please tell me something permanent solution of this.