1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

You would be correct.

1 person likes this.
  2. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Well-Known Member

It's not really about how big your legs are. IIt's more about how proportionate they are to your waist and the rest of the measurements. Which is why stuff with elastane is awesome. Those Uniqlo jeggings would fit anyone they're so Damn stretchy, but they also don't look very good.

I've posted my wheels before, I'm not out of this world huge, but still can't find a denim that meets my denimbro needs and still fits me well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  3. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

It doesn't really help though if I lose a couple inches off of my waist but my thigh stays the same or gets bigger. I'm cutting and I imagine that's what'll happen even though I've leg fat as well. I saw the somets but they're described as raw/unwashed sanforized denim, not sure what that means but if they don't shrink like raw unsanforized then it could work. These studio d'artisans seem ok as well although the taper is weak.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/ind...acturer_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

I've always had big thighs and wide hips... Even before I lifted... Even before I got fat and had a legit 32" waist. I have a feeling genetics come into play here.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

What are your leg measurments though fuji? There's plenty of dudes in my gym that have defined legs like that but they are super slim.

I'm 170lbs now and still need a 13" thigh even though my waist is 32-33". Not that my quads are 26", I like a bit of room in my jeans.

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I was only doing like 5x5 @ 185 fronts at my best, but I couldn't fit into gap khaki's 2 sizes bigger than my waist. It sucked. Some people's legs grow faster than others.

7. Coldsnap

I've been lowbar squatting monday, highbar + front squat thursday thinking it would grow my VMO. It did but my thighs also got bigger, so it still doesn't look balanced..

8. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

recent kijiji flips:

hi/lo pulley / lat pulldown - bought for $40, sold for $200
    560lb assorted steel/cement standard 1" plate - bought for $20, sold for $250
    50lb powerblocks - bought for 150, sold for 250
    another nautilus smith + 205lbs olympic + f/i/d bench for 400, sold the bench for 200, 205lbs for 150 - hello $50 smith machine/pulley system!
    squat stands - bought for 50, sold for 200

got 1250, spent 660, so i made $550 bux and got a smith machine for free. small potatoes, sure, but easy money and free things. now to continue healing so i can actually use said things.

1 person likes this.
  9. Coldsnap

This guys youtube channel is ridiculous.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

I have the biggest ass here. Shopping for pants is a fucking nightmare. Express are the only slacks I've found that fit me, and that's only after buying them with a huge waist and getting it taken in. And they still don't fit 100%. Sucks!

Started doing cardio again, fml

Scale broke, no idea where I'm at weight wise but still chubby

11. ridethecliche

Trying a new workout.
    Superset:
    1)Db/bb flat press and t bar/seated cable row
    2)Db/bb incline press and Lat pull down/pull up variation.

Do 5x10 superset for 10 reps for chest and back. Throw in pec deck, ab, and/or some arm work if there's time.

Felt great. Can't wait to start getting to the gym earlier to get more in.

Need to figure out something similar for legs and shoulders and really need to start hitting arms more.

Also need to get serious about cutting a little bit so I feel great for interviews.

12. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

^pretty much what i do: supersetting antagonist muscle groups. Got good (bodybuilding) results from it

13. ridethecliche

Yeah. Going to be hard setting legs up to do that. Might have to superset lunges and hamstring work, or goblet squats and hamstring work. Sounds miserable.

I have a feeling I'll do:

DB lunges+3 shoulder movements in sequence, then do goblet squats and hamstring curls with some ab work in between. Finish it off with some gun work.

Not sure I have the willpower to do 5x10 with lunges. That shit hurts. Maybe this will help develop that mental edge. There's so much bullshit going on at the gym if I get there to do this workout at 4:30-5. It sucks. I got blocked by like 3 women doing random ass shit in the center of the longest path in the gym. One was just lying down in the middle of the floor and stretching. I almost raged.

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Direct arm work is so underrated. Feels silly and bro-ish but it really works.

1 person likes this.
  15. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

I just started doing lunges with the bar in the front squat position and it kills my vmo.

16. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Bleh been stalled on bench for almost a month now. Maybe it's time to deload.

17. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I'd say change the programming.

I think you could be labeled as an advanced lifters or at least almost so, by your numbers and years of lifting.
    The progression model you posted for your bench a while back was linear progression which is mostly recommended for newer lifters. Linear progression is generally not suitable for intermediates and advanced lifters since they cannot keep up with the models rate of progression.

If I were you, I'd start a progression model more suited to your level, like a percentage based (ex: Sheiko, Russian Squat Routine but for bench, etc) or something else that uses a lot of variation in reps, sets, weights, grip width, speed, bands, etc... In other words, I think your bench will improve if you train it with powerlifting programming methods.

Also, you probably need to increase your volume for the bench press as well. Pretty much every lifter has to increase his volume over time if he wants gains.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. Coldsnap

Concept link meh to a % based volume program on bench.

19. ridethecliche

Yeah. I need to start doing it 2-3 times a week. Even if it's just one exercise each session for bi/tri in a superset. Shit works. I want to get my gunz up to 16 inches soon! Should take a while though :/

I don't know how comfortable I'd feel doing lunges like that. How do split squats feel in that position? I think they'd be similar as well, no?

Boo!

20. APK

APK Well-Known Member

This. These are the only jeans I've worn for the last two years. And the cut isn't slim throughout, so it isn't a case of the elastane permitting sausage-encasing. You can also experience a pretty radical shift in weight and not have the pants fit much differently anywhere.

Good job, man. I know you were following the 200+ dream for a while, but I'll bet you look a lot better at your present weight. We've more or less swapped spots thanks to my training becoming almost nonexistent over the last year.

Seems like you say essentially the same thing periodically.