Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. APK

APK Senior member

The starting position for the lift makes the lifter susceptible to rounding the back, especially as you increase the weight. That's obviously not a good thing, since a rounded back while trying to lift something makes you prone to back injuries. You just want to keep your back straight throughout the lift.

Also, keep your arms straight, too. You want to drive your feet into the ground to force the weight off the ground, not your arms. You obviously want a tight grip with your hands, but you aren't actively using your arms to get the bar off the ground. Think of them more as hooks.

Give this a look, too, for a more detailed (and informed) rundown on improving your DL.

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

there's no problem with rounding your back on a deadlift if you feel more comfortable doing so. this is what rounding the back is : disclaimer: konstantinovs' back rounding is a bit on the exaggerated side [​IMG] ideally, your arms should be straight the whole time to lessen the pulling distance. and your knees should lock out, along with your hips, to complete the lift. you go to any powerlifting meet, and they'll red light your ass if your knees aren't locked.

3. mrchariybrown

The starting position for the lift makes the lifter susceptible to rounding the back, especially as you increase the weight. That's obviously not a good thing, since a rounded back while trying to lift something makes you prone to back injuries. You just want to keep your back straight throughout the lift.
    completely disagree. really depends on the lifter. you look at most elite level powerlifters and their backs round during the lift. it's pretty much inevitable when you start lifting some heavier weights. the back injuries that happen on deadlifts are more related to back hyperextension at lockout.

4. APK

APK Senior member

Really? I feel as though I'm leaving my lower back open to a word of pain if I don't keep my back straight from the starting point through the first part of the lift.

5. APK

APK Senior member

Also, that's not to say that I feel like I'm keeping a totally straight back at this point in where I'm at with the weight. I just assumed it was something I needed to keep working and improving on. Then again, that's probably a lot of my paranoia about lower back injuries at play here. I had no fewer than three episodes of being couch-ridden because of a lower back issue. Of course, those ALL happened in my days of going nowhere near a barbell. [​IMG]

OT, but how's the new trainer working out for you, Charly? His prices seem ridiculously good for the personalized service it sounds like his clients get.

6. mrchariybrown

best lifting mentor I've had so far. numbers are almost where they were a few years back and this time without all the injuries - which is the main reason I hired him. and because he's a beast lol I know what it feels like to have lower back injuries man. I had one a long time ago (from improper form - hyperextending at lockout) that was so bad I couldn't sit down or walk up stairs without shooting pains. so, in that, I understand your paranoia. but note, that I'm not saying to round your back just for the sake of it. do what's comfortable for you [​IMG]

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I think the main reason for recommending the low back arch in deadlifting is that you need to learn how to isometrically stabilize the lower back - I mean tensing the muscles and keeping the package tight, so to speak. This allows for a more efficient force transfer from your legs and that means more weight off the floor.

When you graduate on to heavier weights, you get a feel of what works for your proportions and what doesn't.

Also as chariy mentioned, lock the weight out at the top, but don't hyperextend your back - you can think of it as standing at attention, only with a barbell in your hands. Rinse and repeat.

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I def round my back a little bit as the weight goes up

No problems yet, knock on particleboard

I rarely get sore from DLs anymore... I get more back pains from every day shit like sleeping wrong or w/e.

Keep the bar close to your body (minimize the moment arm), start w/ur legs... should be fine

9. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

kept the same weight as always on the squat rack (aiming for increased speed rather than size gains recently) but i dipped well past 90° down low like lil john used to say and ohhhhhh boyyyyy feels good to be sore like this

10. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Worked out through the flu today. Does not feel good.

This was karma biting you in the ass for buying up all the silent tees [​IMG]

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

No possible way of getting out of my gym contract due to obscene customer service and an inability to go to court, so... just going to cost them as much money as I can. [​IMG] Assholes... Canucks, never go to Premier Fitness, unless its to shit all over the place.

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

What happens if they throw you out and tell you not to come back? I always assumed that meant you could stop payment.

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

What happens if they throw you out and tell you not to come back? I always assumed that meant you could stop payment.

Not likely - this company has a reputation for being ethically and legally questionable. They actually lead the fitness industry in consumer complaints in Canada, so it is my fault for signing up in the first place I suppose.

Lots of people have complained that they've been charged after their contract has expired, so even if they threw me out I have no doubts I'd still be charged. I can always just call Visa and tell them I lost my card, fucking them over for payments, but I don't want collections people breathing down my neck for the next ten years. Just gonna suck it up, and learn my lesson. At the end of the day, I get to be me, and they have to be them, which is the greatest payback, I suppose - still just really annoyed at myself and them for getting conned into signing a contract.

Even when I called customer service and told them I was induced into the contract by means of fraudulent misrepresentation, this mofo literally repeated on broken record "I'm sorry, you've signed a contract" despite the fact that fraudulent misrepresentation implies the contents of the contract are irrelevant [​IMG]. Been getting ignored in phonecalls to the branch and head office, and emails to head office, too. Great company... again, I guess I'll just resolve to cost them as much as I can.

14. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

This was karma biting you in the ass for buying up all the silent tees [​IMG]

I only bought 2, one in xl and one in medium. Most of them were sold out before I even clicked on the link.

15. narcissism

narcissism Senior member

Recently started drinking two cups of green tea a day and I actually like the taste of it. Can I expect to see any health benefits from it? Or does that only come when you drink 18 cups a day?