1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

^ Why did you take months off from lifting? And what were your old numbers?

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

lol I need to catch up to Dan Green, Jay Nera, Kevin Oak, and all those other freaky 220/242ers.. ONE DAY!.. give me a few years.

I'm tiny as fuck compared to those fuckheads (fuckheads in the nicest way possible)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I keep telling Dan I'm trying to get a little of him inside me and then he doesn't talk to me for a week :puzzled:

But for srs, you'll get there (with a lil help from dat dere)

Also conceptionist's explanation pretty much nailed it for me

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Got married in Jan and it just spiraled from there. Didn't enroll in any classes so I lost my "free" gym membership, and I was traveling 3 out of 4 weeks this spring. Tl;dr I was lazy.

My previous maxes are embarrassing:

Squat 285 5x3
    Bench 165 5x3
    Deadlift 325 5x1

That's after only 6 mos of lifting though... (I only say that to make myself feel better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mrchariybrown

Hopefully my body holds up to that. Most people will never reach that class of strength no matter what chemicals you throw at them.

Daniel seems pretty conservative, no? At least from all that god stuff him and his wife post.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  6. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Really would like to hit 315 200 365 work sets before I start cutting. 185 might be more realistic on bench though. I have a feeling my bench is going to lag for a while. I have long arms and svelte girlish wrists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

225x4,4,4,4,5 on bench went up pretty easy. I think I might be onto something

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Yeah it was actually kind of eye opening. You can take two guys... one guy on gear and the other natty. Both train/eat hard and smart. Both same weight class. And the natty guy can have more size and the bigger total.

Hm, I wouldn't necessarily say that. He's soft spoken and doesn't talk much, but he's got a good sense of humor. If you catch him at the right time tho, he'll talk your ear off about technique or anatomy/biomechanics. Always surprises me with how much he's studied the human body and how much time he's spent experimenting and refining technique. He does chime in here and there, but the majority of his social media presence is handled by his wife.

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I got a little charly inside of me when we met in Philly.

N...no homo

2 people like this.
  10. mrchariybrown

Ah gotcha. That's good to know. I'm the same way - with technique and biomechanics. Not soft spoken though. TeeKay can vouch for that. I'm pretty fucking loud.

alwayshomo ;)

11. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

So my plan for the year is:

3-4 months strength focus until I stall. Don't gain weight.

4-5 months - cut to ~12% (likely 20 lbs)

4+ months Aesthetic focus (esp. upper body with my terrible bench numbers) / slow bulk

Thoughts? Criticisms? Is this realistic?

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

How will u gain strength without gaining weight

[​IMG]

And to cut to a real 20lbs u will prob need to cut 30lbs. The water rebound is pretty intense

Otherwise looks OK.

13. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I'm a fat-ass? 20+% body fat.

Cutting 30 lbs. does not excite me.

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Had chipotle burritto and a taco then Wendy's burger and chicken sandwich. The bulk is real.

15. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

17. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I'm not going to say that these are great reasons, but here's a few that come to mind.

Firstly, the "strength is good" mantra is an easy way to get introduced to the weight room, especially for guys that have not been introduced to weights in high school or college (ie - guys who have never considered themselves athletic). A strength mantra is easier to swallow than "I do this for looks".

Followed by... fewer movements than bb, which allow you to obsess over details of the lifts rather than the details of your biceps. It's also more home gym friendly. I do ~10 movements which includes the big 4, although I do 10x10 in 30 minute things these days.

However, what do you really mean by powerlift? Most people here do the big four and accessory movements. Is that really bb or pl?

Besides, I think your premise is wrong. You think that if everyone just started bb'ing that the physiques would start blowing up outta this thread? Everyone would generally look the same as they do today.

1 person likes this.
  18. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I actually don't get the powerlifting obsession either, especially since we were all drawn to styleforum based on aesthetics in the first place.

19. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Powerlifting/strength training allows for "progress" even though you can still look mediocre whole getting there.

1 person likes this.
  20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

So like, you can feel superior to guys who look good while maintaining your dumpy or super thin "physique". It's no wonder it appeals to internet nerds.

1 person likes this.