1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

I've never understood people who come from money going into IB. Girl I knows dad is a billionaire and she still applied for internships but didn't get anything. Why would you do this to yourself if you came from money? I'll try maintain this, obviously I won't be able to lift like I do now and I'll have to do way more mobility work then some shoulder dislocations and sitting in a full squat with 60kg for a minute before I lift.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Hah, good point. Probably has something to do with family pressure.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

The reality is that the carrot keeps getting bigger in the banking world. Also people get paid enough to go stupid hard when they have time so they eat and drink to excess.

There are still ways to get ahead and do right without sacrificing your health. Esp given that most people in those jobs could live right next to a 24 hr gym if they wanted to.

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

that's just the tradeoff one faces. as I see it most people go into the field for those boner-inducing exit opportunities

2 people like this.
  5. ridethecliche

Or proving that you can do it too. Some people don't just want to get by on their parents accolades even if they don't fully comprehend how much they benefited from it regardless.

1 person likes this.
  6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

This is just my two cents, maybe I will change as I grow older. But if you know how to budget correctly and are reasonable you can live really good at around $40-50k a year. I see these people who buy Honda Pilots for $30k and think they don't know how to spend their money because you can get an awesome ass car for 8-12k$. And then the damn iphone upgrades every year. I dunno shit like that.

That being said I fucking suck at investing. I have a large amount of money sitting in the cash market because I have no idea how to invest it correctly. And Fidelity seems content with not helping me out at all.

7. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I haven't gone out to a lunch that cost me less than 100 dollars in years.

1 person likes this.
  8. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Fuck that I would much rather drive my nice imports and bring my friends out to dinner on me whenever i want.

1 person likes this.
  9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Damn, I need to find friends like you. I helped my friend for an hour moving heavy shit and all I got was $5 at taco bell and i had to drive.

10. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

The least you can do is take advantage of your company's 401k match, if offered, and max out an IRA very year. Based on the description of your lifestyle, that alone will probably be close to enough for retirement.

11. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

In a city you could only do $40-$50 a year with no safety net, maybe, and you'd have to live with roommates or in a really shitty apt your whole life. Add another $10k a year for a decent place and 30% for savings (so around $70 - $80k), and it's enough.

Investing doesn't have to be hard. You're in your early 20s right? Just keep 2-3 months expenses in cash and throw the rest in the vanguard s&p 500 index fund, set your paycheck to auto-deduct a set percent every couple weeks. Reassess in 20 years.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

$25k in the s&p 500 from reselling high end mens wear on the MC classifieds crew checking in. That $600 profit on one suit hnnnnnnng. I don't want to work for that long, doing IB so I can retire early and kind of to prove I can do it I suppose. Saw all these idiots from my uni applying for it when I only wanted to work for like PwC and I figured I was better then them. Theres not really anything I spend money on, gear is by far my biggest recreational expense and even that is cheap as fuck.

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Ok. Company doesn't do any sort of benefits. I've been saving $650 a month with my budget and I just put that into my bank account. I've got way too much in there for an adult with no retirement fund. I should take the money that I have with fidelity and start a Roth ira and just pay into that.

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Speaking of finances I've now gone almost two months without a paycheck and it's killing me.

Get my first new one July 1st and my God, that will be a beautiful day.

15. ridethecliche

What are you talking about re:reselling shit?

16. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Yeah, max our your roth ($5500) and put the rest into a taxable account, set it to auto-withdraw, and just forget it exists for awhile.

1 person likes this.
  17. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

low cost index funds would have been my recommendation as well. it's what I do with my excess cash, mainly because I'm fucking lazy as shit.

1 person likes this.
  18. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Exactly. My former company had their own brokerage branch so I had my IRA through them. After switching jobs, in the process of transferring it over to Vanguard where I can manage both me and the lady's funds with one company. They have the lowest fees in the market also. You could do the same with Fidelity if you prefer to stay with them.

At this point, we are sitting on a hefty sum of cash for being only 24. Debating to bump up our 401k contributions to double digits since we have enough cash lying around. Time to take advantage of dat der DINK status.

19. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Also that feel when 26 years old and know jack shit about finances.

20. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

C'mon, it's not hard to bulk and eat well.
    I eat 3600 calories a day, every meal cooked by myself and I leave my apt at 8 in the morning and is usually back at 8 again in the evening.

Every sunday I just prep a ton of food. Throw 2 pounds of chicken, beans and veggies in the slowcooker, and divide it into 7 lunches. Make another big batch of meat for my 5 post workout meals. Every night I prep rice for the next day in the rice cooker. I bring oats, milk, nut butter and cottage cheese to work for pre workout meal before I leave the office for the gym.