1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

There are a few good articles out there on it. Essentially, it enhances the valsalva maneuver. It provides a surface for your abdomen and lower back to "press out" against, providing greater support and rigidity.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I guess it has something to do with increased intra-abdominal pressure and allowing you to contract the abdominal muscles more intensively. I don't know the science because I have zero time to read papers outside my discipline, but I view the deciding factor as this. Do you lift better with or without a belt?

A lot of weightlifters use belts, and many don't, so I don't see belts having some sort of intrinsic benefit. If it works for you then it's probably a good move, if not then go without. For some reason I dislike using a belt, I mean I purchased one but ended up selling it like a month after that. Cleaning with the thing just felt so fucking weird.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

Been doing most of my training without a belt for a while because I used to get something like 40kg out of wearing one. Hit a 135kg beltless front squat today so it seems to be working. Hasn't actually pushed up my belted max that much which is a bit shit, but it seems like the form is better with one?

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Slightly russled. A friend of mine has an internship greenhill. He didn't even apply or interview for it, but his aunt works there and got him one. He applied same as me for all the other banks but he's not as good a candidate as me so he never got past first round, but now through nepatism he has arguably as good an internship as me. His aunt literally just called him up asking if he wanted to work. Based on the fact there was no structured employment process I doubt there's a chance of a FT offer, but he'll still have greenhill on his cv next year when he applies.

5. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Unfortunately, who you know is often exceedingly more important than what you know.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

it's regrettable that more often than not that's how it goes. what makes it worse (I'm assuming here since I've never worked in IB) is that that first job is the one you'll use to leverage for better positions later on.

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

flossing is quite unpleasant

1 person likes this.
  8. fuji

fuji Senior member

The way I kind of look at it as being ok is that whilst you may be able to get onto the ground floor with nepatism, if you weren't hard enough working to get there yourself your not going to have the drive to slug through being an analyst for 2-3 years and either progress through or go through recruiting again to the buy side.

1 person likes this.
  9. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Welcome to the real world. Every reasonably sized company has overpaid dead weight that didn't earn their positions.

2 people like this.
  10. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I'll check some health food stores here for quark but it'll probably be expensive as fuck and defeat the purpose of getting it. Anyone know how I can figure out macros for homemade quark? It's so easy to make!

Gf got Prelift preworkout. Do preworkouts even do anything besides contain caffeine to make you feel hyped up?

We went to a trampoline park the other day and it was tons of fun, way more of a workout than I thought it'd be. Getting out of those foam pits is the worst cardio when you're a fatass.

11. Crat

Crat Senior member

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yeah Titan is good and they make cool purple python ones

13. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Not sure how or why, but Titan has a reputation for being the nerd's powerlifting gear. That said, almost everyone at my gym has a Titan or Inzer.

14. Crat

Crat Senior member

:laugh:

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

hup holland hup :)

2 people like this.
  16. Crat

Crat Senior member

17. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Fuarkkkk strength is shooting up

Dat post-competition anabolic rebound

18. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

but it's more important than brushing. :foo:

1 person likes this.
  19. jarude

jarude Senior member

dat van persie header. man did it ever feel good to see them humiliate spain after 2010. are you dutch?

at least i dont need a superfriend to brush my teeth for me /kstar

side note, that book is so full of self-affirming circlejerk shit its hard to read. he may know his stuff - or not, given that whole contentious knees-out-squatting thing - but man is it ever irritating to read something from someone who perhaps thinks a little too highly of himself

20. Crat

Crat Senior member

Yah I'm Dutch. Sweet revenge agains 5pa1n, hehe.

1 person likes this.