1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Senior member

[​IMG]
    "A lot of people don't think that collapsed arches be like it is. But it do." - Usain Bolt

2. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

Sounds like you're just a pussy. Lots of pussies in this thread, honestly. Every third post is about some chronic "injury" or "pain". Beta genetics... ha.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Hmmm, I guess every thread has its dust ups.

Anyhow, today's work out:

5 x 12 wide grip pull ups.

8 x 12 bent over straight bar rows.

8 x 12 bent elbow dumbbell flys in between sets of the bent over rows.

Recovery meal: Taco Bell...[​IMG][​IMG]

5. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Why not squats before deads? My programming has been deads right after squats in the same session or the day after for the past 2 months. I don't mean only regular deads though. I switch between stiff leg, conv, deficit, snatch grip and pause at knee deads.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

When I first started dead lifting, I would squat before or after thinking I'm working similar muscle groups so why not?

7. conceptionist

Yes, you do.
    The conventional deadlift just involves the back to a higher degree than the squat, while the sumo deadlift is more hips and less back than a conventional pull. If you're doing wide stance squats and sumo deadlifts I think the muscles worked are pretty much the same.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Starting work in 12 days. Loads of networking drinks when I start, I don't drink, haven't had any alcohol since the start of february. Should I just drink a tiny bit so I don't seem like some weird fitness guy? Make a gin and tonic last a couple hours haha. Wearing $60 suits and $9 shirts lol. Disregard material acquire fit.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

I hope for your sake you don't injure yourself.

10. ridethecliche

Thinking was that I wouldn't want to fatigue my low back the day before I rage with it. I guess it's moot though.

11. conceptionist

But if you don't want to fatigue you're lower back, wouldn't you rather squat before deads, than do deadlift before squats?
    I mean, common sense to me is that deads (not sumo) fatigues the lower back more than squats. You could also do high bar squats instead of low bar and take even less load off the back in the squat.

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I do squats before deads on leg day. Squats, even heavy low rep squats, are easier for me than any kind of deads

13. ridethecliche

Fair enough! Got that back asswards...

I'll just stop. I feel Fucking stupid.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Found a yoga class one subway stop away. Lots of times, good instructor, nice space, cheap and full of gorgeous girls.

Still gotta figure out what I can do with my shoulder (the intense shoulder openers kinda hurt) but i'm psyched.

15. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I'd just make sure you mirror the good side to the injured side so that you don't end up with one shoulder way more flexible than the other and maybe avoid handstands.

16. ridethecliche

Guys, serious question though, and I think I've asked this before:

Legs/back...I'm limited by surgery and while I feel pretty good right now, I'd prefer to take a risk reduction approach. With that in mind, exercise selection:

Back: seated cable row, one arm db row, pull ups, pull downs, chest supported rows, t bar rows. Inverted rows.

Legs: front squats, split squats, lunges. Goblet squats. Potentially hamstring and quad curls but those do cause some low back so maybe lift weight pre exhaust with those?

Mostly trying to figure out a good course of action so my legs and back don't lag too much. I mostly try to do higher volume stuff and maybe I should try to do legs and back twice a week to get the most out of it?

17. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

>implying you're not a weird fitness guy

Whenever I'm at one of those events and don't want to drink, I usually just have the bartender do soda water with a lime wedge (and tip the bartender for his/her trouble). Most people will just assume you're having a gin and tonic.

18. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Dash of bitters makes it taste like a real drink

1 person likes this.
  19. conceptionist

Seems good to me for aesthetic purposes.
    Maybe you could add some shallow depth leg presses, both bilateral and unilateral. Shallow depth so you don't tax the lower back.

About hamstring curls causing low back pain: Is that in a lying version? You should try a regular seated hamstring curl machine and see if that feels better. I like it much more than the lying machine anyway.

Up the frequency for 2x a week and see if it helps. In theory it should. Just make sure your total volume doesn't become twice as much as you're currently doing as that good be too much work in too short time. Smarter to ease into it and allowing for bigger increases in volume later as you stall.

Count your total reps and sets for the whole week for legs and back. Divide that number by two and split the volume over two sessions (or four, if you're doing back and legs separately, but I think you can hit both per session). Then add just a few sets, maybe 3-5 total for both muscle groups so you're doing just a tiny bit more work overall over the course of the week.

20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

It hurt doe. Spent most today on the couch.