• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I was just looking for your reason. I'm not the type of person who likes to change my program without a good reason. I am at the point in SS where I am adding a light squat day, so progressing 10 lbs a week instead of 15. I've never missed a squat rep until a few workouts ago, and I think that was just a bad week for me overall since all my lifts sucked. I think I am going to ride out SS/LP through September (I have some stuff going on right now and I don't want to drastically alter my diet) and reassess at that point. But I know that recomp (weight maintenance) alone isn't going to get me to where I want to be in January.

for sure. i should have mentioned that i personally do nothing to the programming until things grind to a halt, at which point i will adjust the volume/intensity in routine i'm doing. the only reason i said jump on spbr sooner rather than later is that it may be tricky to adjust to a new way of doing things in a deficit.

Eating super healthy

:foo: :foo: :foo:

congrats man, that's a great feel. i have grizzly straps i like but i dont think it matters much

would you recommend bulking or cutting for a swimmer? i don't have much mass, and while i'd like to reduce my body fat percentage, my first goal is to improve my sprint times.

i think you should try to gain muscle mass. im guessing your stroke is efficient enough for you to be concerned about sprint times, and while lower bodyfat is a nice-to-have, i think getting stronger/bigger now and then leaning out later will serve you well in the long run. keep in mind i have no performance goals when it comes to swimming, only lifting, and i've had more experience with learn-to-swim and triathlon-style efficiency instruction than sprints.

Last edited:

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Risto leather straps are the best I've seen around, ironmind has good straps too.

the leather ones take like a year to break in and be comfortable though

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW anyone wanna rec some straps for deadlifting? I'm gonna try chalk but I don't think it's gonna work out too well.

I use the Grizzly ones. Cheap at $10-15 and break in nicely to get buttery soft.

Tigerprawn

Reaction score

Chalk does more than you'd expect.

QFT... chalk makes a huge difference for me. So much so that I used it at the gym even though it's against their "rules". No one ever gave me **** because no one at that ****** gym was DLing anything above 3 plates... ever.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't use chalk in my gym either, but I do anyway. I just chalk up with my hands inside a ziploc bag to minimize mess, and I wipe the bar down when I'm done. I've also seen people recommend an "eco ball" as a chalk alternative.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Naw, he's stronger than Dan Green. Haha, jk. I need to lurk him more than, got his weight class messed up. Or I'm sure you can look him up on the membership thing.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fuckin a Donny Shankle does a weightlifting class every Monday from 7:30-8:30 like 2 hours away. I'd go there and pretend to be an olympic lifter just to hear the **** that guy says.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's listed as top in tested federation

"220 1,714 Greg Nuckols USA 08/11/12 %100"

Last edited:

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

He's listed as top in tested federation

"220 1,714 Greg Nuckols USA 08/11/12 %100"

Meh, being top of your own fed means very little depending on which fed you're in since some have a smaller talent pool.

But he is the #8 242 wrapped CURRENT lifter in the U.S. right now :nodding:

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow just looked up WI stats, my buddy at my same weight raw in men's open squatted only about 80 lbs more than I'm currently squatting for reps. That's weird. He totaled over 1000 though.

Oh here's a question about deadlifting that might help me. SPBR recommends 2-3 sets of 5. Yet 5x5 recommends 1 set. I currently do 2 sets and grip is an issue halfway through the second set. Should I just go down to 1 set?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics